• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Still

I don’t think we have a squad capable of this at all. There just isn’t the right balance or level of quality in key areas yet, although I’m sure we’re doing what we can. Tactics over last couple of years have largely been determined by the players we have available. There hasn’t been opportunity to develop a “plan B” because for most of last season plan A was getting 11 fit bodies on the pitch. We could decide to play more direct football or change the formation but the players and their skill sets would remain the same. We might lose more in terms of defensive solidity than we would gain. We are in quite a difficult period really with all the increased expectation I get the sense that this will be a frustrating season.

I'm pretty much of the same mind. Learned to temper my expectations a long time ago under uncle Ron. It's going to take time to get to a position where I feel confident to say to myself we are going to win this league. The board have a fair few issues to resolve around the club all requiring money and resources so there's not going to be a overnight solution to getting out of this league, infact I see it as more as another 2 - 4 seasons. All I ask is the players give 100% on the pitch and try to play some entertaining football. I think that's all anyone can ask.

This post feels like a kick-up attempt to try and get on John Still's back, poor effort + never going to happen.
As the poster, I can assure you that it was a question about how our fans will respond rather than an attempt to get on John Still’s back. I have made my own view very clear but, as pointed out above, despite your ‘never going to happen’ it has already on another thread. I personally think that his reputation means that it won’t be big numbers even if the next Vardy doesn’t arrive but I’d also say that about Kev and he seems to be getting pelters about coaching from a smallish number of fans.

Last season we were down near the bottom of the table. Just like now, fans were having ago at some of the players, the manager, the style of play, and the recruitment. Some were even predicting relegation. Some wanted Maher out. He went on to be The Manager Of The Season National League, because of the job he did under the circumstances and the points deduction. I took some slack as I told everyone to relax, we will finish top half for sure, and probably top ten. I'm saying the same again. Relax, in fact I'll go further, we will finish top 6. We're better off giving the manager, the players, and people behind the scenes like John Still, our full backing and support. It's a very long season.

I don’t think Still or anyone deserves any criticism to be honest. The recruitment over the last couple of seasons has been heavily hampered by the sale of the club and embargoes, even for a long period at the start of this season. But on the whole, I’ve been really impressed.

What I would say is I think Kev probably knows the balance of the squad isn’t quite right at the moment and that won’t be allowing him to play quite the way he probably wants to due to not having the right personnel either at the club, or fit. The midfield being the main issue I would say. Losing Fonguck and having Husin unavailable for the first few weeks has been a big problem and some square pegs have needed to go in some round holes.

Take Morton for example. I watched a lot of WSM highlights to get a feel for the sort of player he is. He plays deep, and retains and moves the ball well. But he’s not a box-to-box midfielder, not an out and out defensive midfielder and certainly not an attacking midfielder. I would say he’s more of a deep lying playmaker (or a carrilero if you’re an FM fan). He’s likely not going to win you the ball back repeatedly, or score you 10 goals a season. But in a midfield three, with the right personnel, he’d be very effective. Play him with a ball winner/defensive mid (Miley) and a more creative attacking midfielder (Moncur), and it could work incredibly well together. Miley wins the ball, Morton progresses it to Moncur and Moncur brings the forwards into the game.

So far, we’ve been heavily reliant, maybe over reliant on Coker to be the one to make things happen and get the forwards involved. I think he has a bright future ahead of him, but isn’t there yet in terms of being the attacking midfielder we need. The lack of creative spark from midfield so far has made Morton look totally ineffective, as he’s not getting forward, and he’s not all action and aggressive like Miley. But that’s not his fault, and I don’t think he’s been in a side so far that would allow him to do what he’s best at.

Waffled on a bit. But I think the main point is that Kev knows how he wants to play and some of these players have been brought in for very specific roles to fit that style. Without having a full squad and the personnel to fully implement that style, it’s difficult to judge too much at this stage.

John S has a track record over many years of picking up players from the lower leagues and being successful in turning them into better players.The new players that have arrived at the club like Gus and Miley are a success but so far it's not happened with others like Morton and Waldron that's football sometimes it works out and sometimes not. It's a calculated gamble
I can’t accept you writing off Morton and Waldron. Both have already shown signs that they could be extremely good players at this level anyway. I’m afraid the same cannot be said of Wood who’s been here longer. How could we keep him and discard the different attacking threats of Fonguck and Powell ??

I can’t accept you writing off Morton and Waldron. Both have already shown signs that they could be extremely good players at this level anyway. I’m afraid the same cannot be said of Wood who’s been here longer. How could we keep him and discard the different attacking threats of Fonguck and Powell ??

Fonguck & Powell turned down new deals with us. Wood’s club option was triggered.

So the money we are wasting on Wood could have been used ,to up our offers to those two useful attackers.

We offered Powell & Fonguck terms to what we felt their roles would be. Wood remained on the same.

I am not writing anyone off my point is that some players havent shown the potential we thought they would.Its early days we will all know once they have played a number of games now good or bad they will be

Wood came from Kings Langley. He really won't be on a high wage at all. His wage wouldn't be enough to cover a better offer to those players. Had we kept those two on a higher wage, we may not have been able to get in Walker and Moncur.
If we kept Fonguck and Powell we wouldn't have needed Walker and Moncur. We'd also be top of the table with a +10 goal difference already.

It's funny how Fonguck had plenty of detractors last season and Powell was derided (quite fairly) for his lack of finishing prowess, but now they've departed, we miss them so badly.

Talk about fickle.

Last edited:
Lots made about John Still and his status as a non-league scout. However, there’s an increasing number of critics of some of the signings. Wood meant to be the real talent but not yet making the grade after a fair while, Waldron being heavily criticised and Morton not getting many plaudits. We have successes like Gus and Kensdale and probably too early for Crowther, Wind etc.

Just wondering if people on here will start turning on John soon?
NO, NO and NO, We have only just got our football club back from the brink of oblivion and within a couple of weeks some people on here seemed to have forgotten that already. To question John Still is everyone's choice but always remember fellow Shrimpers:- "PLEASE BE CAREFUL WHAT YOU WISH FOR"

We offered Powell & Fonguck terms to what we felt their roles would be. Wood remained on the same.
I don’t know the financial figures,maybe you don’t either, but I do not retract my suggestion(s) of use(s) of our cash better than pouring it down the drain.

I don’t know the financial figures,maybe you don’t either, but I do not retract my suggestion(s) of use(s) of our cash better than pouring it down the drain.

That’s your opinion.

Does make me laugh that the two players that attracted the most stick/ridicule last season was undoubtedly Fonguck & Powell, and the one who “deserved” more appearances according to the fans was Wood.

Now, we’ve lost our first match of the season, Fonguck & Powell are world beaters who we should have kept and Wood isn’t up to it.

Lots made about John Still and his status as a non-league scout. However, there’s an increasing number of critics of some of the signings. Wood meant to be the real talent but not yet making the grade after a fair while, Waldron being heavily criticised and Morton not getting many plaudits. We have successes like Gus and Kensdale and probably too early for Crowther, Wind etc.

Just wondering if people on here will start turning on John soon?
'Just wondering if people on here will start turning on John soon?'

You wonder? On SZ?

But he has my full confidence. And I also very reluctant to label any professional footballer as useless (unless they play for Col U Orient or West Ham). But if they are wearing blue as long as they put in a shift they have my full support.

I don’t think Still or anyone deserves any criticism to be honest. The recruitment over the last couple of seasons has been heavily hampered by the sale of the club and embargoes, even for a long period at the start of this season. But on the whole, I’ve been really impressed.

What I would say is I think Kev probably knows the balance of the squad isn’t quite right at the moment and that won’t be allowing him to play quite the way he probably wants to due to not having the right personnel either at the club, or fit. The midfield being the main issue I would say. Losing Fonguck and having Husin unavailable for the first few weeks has been a big problem and some square pegs have needed to go in some round holes.

Take Morton for example. I watched a lot of WSM highlights to get a feel for the sort of player he is. He plays deep, and retains and moves the ball well. But he’s not a box-to-box midfielder, not an out and out defensive midfielder and certainly not an attacking midfielder. I would say he’s more of a deep lying playmaker (or a carrilero if you’re an FM fan). He’s likely not going to win you the ball back repeatedly, or score you 10 goals a season. But in a midfield three, with the right personnel, he’d be very effective. Play him with a ball winner/defensive mid (Miley) and a more creative attacking midfielder (Moncur), and it could work incredibly well together. Miley wins the ball, Morton progresses it to Moncur and Moncur brings the forwards into the game.

So far, we’ve been heavily reliant, maybe over reliant on Coker to be the one to make things happen and get the forwards involved. I think he has a bright future ahead of him, but isn’t there yet in terms of being the attacking midfielder we need. The lack of creative spark from midfield so far has made Morton look totally ineffective, as he’s not getting forward, and he’s not all action and aggressive like Miley. But that’s not his fault, and I don’t think he’s been in a side so far that would allow him to do what he’s best at.

Waffled on a bit. But I think the main point is that Kev knows how he wants to play and some of these players have been brought in for very specific roles to fit that style. Without having a full squad and the personnel to fully implement that style, it’s difficult to judge too much at this stage.
'it’s difficult to judge too much at this stage.'.....a very good point.

Yet we have played four so far, beaten the one team we would been have expected to beat, lost away to one of the strongest if not the strongest team in the league and drawn with two other teams who remain unbeaten so far this season. And all that after a less than ideal pre season.

It is probably easier to find 'hidden gems' at the lower end of the football pyramid than to meet expectations on SZ!

Fongnuck and Powell were not good enough. Neither started for their new Clubs yesterday. Wood may be one day, possibly once we have a few more players in, he may be allowed to go out on loan. He did well 2 seasons ago at the level below. Regular game time may or may not help.

I see their new clubs didn't start them yesterday and Fonguck was an unused sub, despite Ebbsfleet losing
3-0 - seems their management didn't see him as an attacking threat when they needed goals. Neither are getting many minutes yet, I wonder why ? .......

Back