• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Still

Why don't you tell us what you think?
I suspect some people will (and as I’ve pointed out above have started to). It’s the fickle nature of some fans as we regularly see.

If however you mean what do I think of John Still (which wasn’t the point the post was making) I think he’s doing a great job and personally think that Waldron and Morton are better additions than some think and will both come good.

Last edited:
picking up players from lower leagues is hit and miss , but whatever you have to give them time ,its the same with youngsters coming up from our academy ,time is needed , A point in question is the lad playing at Barrow now came up from our ACADEMY and wasnt allowed or given that time, how i wish he was here now and im sure many of you have eaten your words from back then John Still and his merry men are doing an excellent job, the Rat ruined a lot of it im afraid , but yes we do need some experiences heads from leagues above to really push on and be on field leaders definitely a hard nut take no prisoners type in midfield , i know Cav is trying to be that person and doing a fine job for us.. wingers definitely needed annd strikers at least one really experienced head on his shoulders, an experienced GK think that showed yesterday.

To some extent you take a chance with signing players from lower league clubs. The more chances you take the more risks you run. I think the consortium will have to come up with some money before too long.
You can counter that by saying the more chances you take the more chance there is that one will come off and make us a lot of money.

I agree Morton Walden and wood very poor , no one bar gus has totally taken the bulls by the horns … what we are seeing is a team that’s unfortunately really not that good, sadly with no other genuine options available we don’t need 1 striker we need 2-3 we don’t need one midfield we need 1-2 more this team will struggle for the play offs I suggested this prior to the season starting and so far he seem nothing to suggest I’m wrong
I agree that Walden has been poor, but thankfully he doesn't play for us.

The last thing I want is to go back to the sign the ‘past it’ players ala Brown amongst others.. in theory, this is the right way to go, but it’s a results and performance sport. Pity we don’t have a reserves team to give them more match time
Spot on point

Its rare to have a fantastic instant star and success, although we have had a few

Its much about Development and keeping a group together to do so over a period of two or 3 years, so the couching, experience and training?fitness can kick in

Johns skill and experience js also about seeing that POTENTIAL through development. Patience on the zone though last about 60 seconds at times not 2-3 years

Add to that what a step up it must be. Welcome to Southend under Ron, with barely a useable facility , longstanding embargoes, no training pitches suitable and as you point out no reserve or academy set up for extra game time

Welcome and kick on from there instantly if you can?!

Spot on point

Its rare to have a fantastic instant star and success, although we have had a few

Its much about Development and keeping a group together to do so over a period of two or 3 years, so the couching, experience and training?fitness can kick in

Johns skill and experience js also about seeing that POTENTIAL through development. Patience on the zone though last about 60 seconds at times not 2-3 years

Add to that what a step up it must be. Welcome to Southend under Ron, with barely a useable facility , longstanding embargoes, no training pitches suitable and as you point out no reserve or academy set up for extra game time

Welcome and kick on from there instantly if you can?!
Whoops , hopefully not too much couching involved !

Can we please not get into these arguements whereby we are criticising people and single them out. At the end it is the individuals perspective on whether that person is doing a good job.

As a club at the present time we have a lot to build and a limited amount of funds to do it which had been further pushed down by a rotten previous chairman (who thankfully has now gone) and unfortunately these things will take time but, we are now on the right road and we will rebuild however, we have to support those that are trying to and I think most of us do.
John Still is very well respected.
The saying goes you can only work with what you have

Sorry, but if anyone undervalues the work John has done at this football club, something is seriously wrong.

John, I’d say, if one of our most valueable assets. Yes, he won’t be sold for a six/seven figure fee like a player, his decisions on the field won’t win us promotion/get us play-offs/mastermind giant killing like a manager, and he won’t have us as a well drilled side like a coach, but all of the stuff we go onto achieve as a football club, John Still plays a significant role.

Just focusing on Kev’s spell in charge here, but since he walked through the door we had a losing mentality, a group of players who feared playing at Roots Hall, transfer embargoes, WUP’s, unpaid wages, suppliers threatening court action (and some following through), a shambles of a training ground etc etc. 95% of footballers would be on the phone to their agents to get themselves a new club, like Lopata did. The fact the majority didn’t is because of their characters, which John Still (and the three amigos) search for in players, not just their ability on a football pitch.

John Still, and his army (and it is an army in terms of numbers) watch pretty much every game of football you can imagine, even down to grassroots kids football and up to top flight matches.

There isn’t a player out there, at any age category, that JS isn’t aware of. It always makes me laugh when someone on here says about a forward who scored 74839 goals 12 divisions below us and says I wonder if we know about him. JS already does, and already knows agents etc.

He is the font of all football knowledge, and a fantastic man to boot. You won’t find anyone with a bad word said about him.

In fact, Kev has jokingly told him before to stop mentioning players and their potential as it’s too much. He doesn’t leave any stone unturned.

I’d love to sit down and watch a game with him, or even have a cuppa tea and biscuit and listen to him talk football. I think that should be a prize on offer in a raffle or an auction or something. That would be priceless in my eyes.

I put this in a previous thread about John Still. Seems relevant to bring it back to everyone’s attention.

This group is more than capable of winning this league, it’s the tactics that need addressing.
I don’t think we have a squad capable of this at all. There just isn’t the right balance or level of quality in key areas yet, although I’m sure we’re doing what we can. Tactics over last couple of years have largely been determined by the players we have available. There hasn’t been opportunity to develop a “plan B” because for most of last season plan A was getting 11 fit bodies on the pitch. We could decide to play more direct football or change the formation but the players and their skill sets would remain the same. We might lose more in terms of defensive solidity than we would gain. We are in quite a difficult period really with all the increased expectation I get the sense that this will be a frustrating season.

John S has a track record over many years of picking up players from the lower leagues and being successful in turning them into better players.The new players that have arrived at the club like Gus and Miley are a success but so far it's not happened with others like Morton and Waldron that's football sometimes it works out and sometimes not. It's a calculated gamble

Back