• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

John Still

I think we have to accept that probably a high percentage of players making the step up just wont have the goods. But they didnt cost much and can be loaned/moved on, and the gems we keep for a bit and sell on for profit.

Perhaps we just have the balance wrong this season, with too many trying to step up and not enough with league experience.

Lots made about John Still and his status as a non-league scout. However, there’s an increasing number of critics of some of the signings. Wood meant to be the real talent but not yet making the grade after a fair while, Waldron being heavily criticised and Morton not getting many plaudits. We have successes like Gus and Kensdale and probably too early for Crowther, Wind etc.

Just wondering if people on here will start turning on John soon?
He’s a talented, vastly experienced talent spotter and man manager who is highly and widely respected on account of his decades of success. He’s not Mystic Meg. The idea that fans should turn on him because one or two players haven’t yet hit the hoped-for highs is laughable nonsense.

Remember: every transfer window the new football department have been in place we have either been embargoed or they have missed out on their A, B and C choices thanks to Ronald ****ing about.

Who could possibly have done a better job is the question - and we all know the answer.

Lots made about John Still and his status as a non-league scout. However, there’s an increasing number of critics of some of the signings. Wood meant to be the real talent but not yet making the grade after a fair while, Waldron being heavily criticised and Morton not getting many plaudits. We have successes like Gus and Kensdale and probably too early for Crowther, Wind etc.

Not every signing will be successful - was it Stan that suggested 7 or 8 out of 10 signings to 'work' would be a good success rate

He’s never going to get every signing right, but GSM, Cardwell, Kensdale, Miley, Husin & Taylor for a start have been signings that all improve on our previous ‘Dad’s Army’ recruitment process. To be fair, so far I can’t think of one complete flop to compare with previous regimes signings. Morton and Waldron maybe haven’t set the world alight, but certainly are better bets than the likes of Coulson, Dunne, and Ogogo, and could still come good.

Fans have to remember that the club was losing money hand over fist. So they were very limited as to the pool of players they could afford, and also those that wanted to come here and take a chance on a club with a terrible reputation for not paying players and staff, or at best, paying them very late. We missed out on countless players that were approached, but decided against coming here. In the circumstances, John Still has done a great job, with his hands very much tied.

dont be ridiculous

I agree Morton Walden and wood very poor , no one bar gus has totally taken the bulls by the horns … what we are seeing is a team that’s unfortunately really not that good, sadly with no other genuine options available we don’t need 1 striker we need 2-3 we don’t need one midfield we need 1-2 more this team will struggle for the play offs I suggested this prior to the season starting and so far he seem nothing to suggest I’m wrong

I can't believe people questioning the players and the manager after 4 games, 3 of which were hard games in Hartlepool. York and Barnet. Barnet look nailed on for champions or 2nd or 3rd. Why don't we wait until about 10 games to go before deciding how good they are. I still think we will be challenging up the top by the end of the season, even though it may not look like it at the moment.

We’re top half side with a top half budget John still ain’t god our budget really only goes far enough to sign players like Morton and you waldrons expect from your Walker and moncur

dont be ridiculous
Not sure you can be so confident. I think it’s ridiculous that some have been questioning Maher and others have been writing off players after a couple of performances but it’s happening (even on this thread). The question I posed is would it happen not should it happen.

Why don't you tell us what you think?

Back