• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Jeremy Corbyn's Labour

I suppose so. Let's hope there's a suitor waiting in the wings.

Having said that, just because it's not happened before, doesn't mean it's impossible.

Mugabe is 91 and still capable of wreaking havoc!

Surely that's counterproductive though isn't it. I can appreciate that the membership has spoken and that many see Corbyn as a breath of fresh air , policy speaking, but surely he should be reaching out to the voters, not just the left leaning side of the party. Every party must surely approach a election with the aim of winning it which confuses me when Labour have chosen someone who will only have limited appeal. It makes little sense to me.

I guess that's the million dollar question - will Corbyn attract the votes? He's definitely got a groundswell of support and that may continue to rise in the next few years, but will it translate into votes? no one knows. Will he do as well as Burnham, Cooper or Kendall would have? Probably (IMO), and at least his policy views are relatively clear.

He seems to stick to his guns, rather than float around in terms of looking for policy/voter alignment, which is refreshing/bonkers/great/stupid *delete to match with your personal values*

Also, the left leaning side of the party are clearly a 60% majority.

The Tories may shoot themselves in the foot if the elect Bojo as their leader.

Johnson needs to seriously up his game if he is to have any chance of that. By all accounts he has had a very ordinary start to his latest stint as an MP. Cameron did a job on him as well, bringing him in to Cabinet, but not actually giving him any significant responsibility.

Having said that, just because it's not happened before, doesn't mean it's impossible.

Mugabe is 91 and still capable of wreaking havoc!

I guess that's the million dollar question - will Corbyn attract the votes? He's definitely got a groundswell of support and that may continue to rise in the next few years, but will it translate into votes? no one knows. Will he do as well as Burnham, Cooper or Kendall would have? Probably (IMO), and at least his policy views are relatively clear.

He seems to stick to his guns, rather than float around in terms of looking for policy/voter alignment, which is refreshing/bonkers/great/stupid *delete to match with your personal values*

Also, the left leaning side of the party are clearly a 60% majority.

He does stick to his guns, there no doubting that, I wonder if his stance on many of those issues will now still be possible.

Surely that's counterproductive though isn't it. I can appreciate that the membership has spoken and that many see Corbyn as a breath of fresh air , policy speaking, but surely he should be reaching out to the voters, not just the left leaning side of the party. Every party must surely approach a election with the aim of winning it which confuses me when Labour have chosen someone who will only have limited appeal. It makes little sense to me.

Who's to say JC has "limited appeal?" Let's wait until we've had at least a couple of by-elections before that claim can be tested at all.

Meanwhile 15,000 new members since JC was elected leader is a pretty good start.This week with strong Labour oppostion to the Tories TU bill and welfare reforms tomorrow should add to the new feelgood factor.

Live in hope ,comrade.:winking:

Who's to say JC has "limited appeal?" Let's wait until we've had at least a couple of by-elections before that claim can be tested at all.

By-elections generally mean very little. The candidate for the party currently in government invariably gets a shellacking unless it's a super-safe seat.

But as you say, we shall see. If Corbyn really can galvanise all the potential voters who normally stay at home on polling day (and I'm not sure he can) then it's game on.

I thought this story on how Corbyn tried to build his cabinet made for interesting reading. Yes it's from Sky News so clearly a Murdoch put-up job etc. etc. but here is the link anyway

http://news.sky.com/story/1552307/corbyns-cabinet-chaos-the-inside-story

By-elections generally mean very little. The candidate for the party currently in government invariably gets a shellacking unless it's a super-safe seat.

But as you say, we shall see. If Corbyn really can galvanise all the potential voters who normally stay at home on polling day (and I'm not sure he can) then it's game on.

I thought this story on how Corbyn tried to build his cabinet made for interesting reading. Yes it's from Sky News so clearly a Murdoch put-up job etc. etc. but here is the link anyway

What interested me about JC's Shadow cabinet was that jobs were found for AB and YC.

LK can do one as far as I'm concerned.

What interested me about JC's Shadow cabinet was that jobs were found for AB and YC.

LK can do one as far as I'm concerned.

Also good to see a left-wing Chancellor very much on the same page as Jez.

Wow. I don't have high expectations of the Telegraph, but irrespective of political views, it seems wholly inappropriate to start calling someone a 'nutjob'

Last edited:
Recently I remembered a TV series that I watched in the 80's - A very British coup. It covered the election of a very left wing PM who the establishment (Armed Forces, Right wingers, Americans etc) set out to destroy. Blow me, found this in the Independent today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...my-corbyns-rise-inspires-sequel-10428313.html

If you are interested in the TV series I think it is still floating around on the Web.

Perhaps if you had said that in the first place you wouldn't have got the reply you did. As for quoting Farage, I tore up my membership some three months ago, as I stated on here due to the treatment of Suzanne Evans and because of the direction UKIP appeared to be taking (contrary to popular opinion I'm not into dictatorships) so you better find a different stick to beat me with.

How about the fact that you're an equal parts Orient fan and Southend fan?

It's been almost 40 years since a truly left wing party has been voted into power, which goes to show that the best chance for Labour to come back into power is to have middle-left policies (i.e. New Labour) with a strong and resolute leader to appeal to the floating voters and even win some votes from the Tories. I think they've massively misunderstood the problem and have now lost key respected figures in their party as a result and replaced them with people viewed as "high risk".

Pubey said about how they may be regrouping, but if the wrong people are involved in this process then you could find that Labour disappear off the radar altogether. If they feel that they have lost their values and direction as a party, then that is their decision to try and go back to grass roots, but I think it will be regretful.

For those with short memories, the Tories beat Labour in May emphatically. It wasn't by the odd vote, they didn't need any support from other parties, they are leading a majority government. The tragic thing is that so many lefties on here (and in UK at large) were absolutely convinced that Miliband would be heading to Number 10, yet the result just showed how far off the mark they (you) all were.

That's my opinion, not left bashing or anything, I just feel they could and should have gone the other way. As I said, the next election will 100% be a landslide to the Conservatives.

In the meantime, have a read on Jezzas first big mistake http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34243236

I doubt any party outside of the Tories and Labour thought they could win the election, they ran so they'd have some influence in government.

It's been almost 40 years since a truly left wing party has been voted into power, which goes to show that the best chance for Labour to come back into power is to have middle-left policies (i.e. New Labour) with a strong and resolute leader to appeal to the floating voters and even win some votes from the Tories. I think they've massively misunderstood the problem and have now lost key respected figures in their party as a result and replaced them with people viewed as "high risk".

Pubey said about how they may be regrouping, but if the wrong people are involved in this process then you could find that Labour disappear off the radar altogether. If they feel that they have lost their values and direction as a party, then that is their decision to try and go back to grass roots, but I think it will be regretful.

For those with short memories, the Tories beat Labour in May emphatically. It wasn't by the odd vote, they didn't need any support from other parties, they are leading a majority government. The tragic thing is that so many lefties on here (and in UK at large) were absolutely convinced that Miliband would be heading to Number 10, yet the result just showed how far off the mark they (you) all were.

That's my opinion, not left bashing or anything, I just feel they could and should have gone the other way. As I said, the next election will 100% be a landslide to the Conservatives.

In the meantime, have a read on Jezzas first big mistake http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-34243236

Middle-left? Really? Don't you think that the way Labour was shedding supporters would signal that, that is exactly the wrong thing to do? And the Tories may have a majority, but it's a very slim one and any rebellion by their own MPs would squash any of Cameron's plans.

Middle-left? Really? Don't you think that the way Labour was shedding supporters would signal that, that is exactly the wrong thing to do? And the Tories may have a majority, but it's a very slim one and any rebellion by their own MPs would squash any of Cameron's plans.

Corbyn and friends have IMO become a self indulgent invite only left left party who are facing oblivion by the electorate .

His idea of QE is bizarre at best,at worst it beggars belief,Renationalising of the railway and potentially other utilities has the city hiding under their desks.His immigration policy will never hold water with the public who made it clear pre GE what they thought.

Time will tell.

No, I don't. I think it would have been a far more prudent move to have actually come up with a manifesto that instilled confidence to the voters that Labour would ensure that our deficit would continue to be prioritized and I don't believe that they did.

They also put forward a bit of a clown who many probably felt didn't "look right" (and many polls suggested this to be true pre-elections). I was too young to vote in 1997 (by a year), but I would have voted Labour at that time as I had complete faith in Bliar at the time (obviously that turned out to be misplaced, but what did I know as a 17 year old, right?).

What you forget is that Callaghan was in power at a time when unions were MASSIVE and support from the unions for the left wing was far stronger. Though in typical Labour style, they went down in spectacular fashion leaving the country in a Winter of Discontent. During his (and Wilsons) tenure, there was also less threat from terrorist groups and immigration was not the issue it is today. Also, you didn't find too many 16 year old mums of 6 children being housed in mansions and spending their child allowance on Superkings.....

A far left Labour party stand about as much chance of getting into No 10 as UKIP.

No, I don't. I think it would have been a far more prudent move to have actually come up with a manifesto that instilled confidence to the voters that Labour would ensure that our deficit would continue to be prioritized and I don't believe that they did.

They also put forward a bit of a clown who many probably felt didn't "look right" (and many polls suggested this to be true pre-elections). I was too young to vote in 1997 (by a year), but I would have voted Labour at that time as I had complete faith in Bliar at the time (obviously that turned out to be misplaced, but what did I know as a 17 year old, right?).

What you forget is that Callaghan was in power at a time when unions were MASSIVE and support from the unions for the left wing was far stronger. Though in typical Labour style, they went down in spectacular fashion leaving the country in a Winter of Discontent. During his (and Wilsons) tenure, there was also less threat from terrorist groups and immigration was not the issue it is today. Also, you didn't find too many 16 year old mums of 6 children being housed in mansions and spending their child allowance on Superkings.....

A far left Labour party stand about as much chance of getting into No 10 as UKIP.

Actually, there was a bit of bombing going on in mainland Britain at the time, eg. Birmingham, Guildford and Woolwich (in '74). Immigration was also an issue in this period and coincident with the rise of the National Front.

Really? The mid 70's were the "heyday" of the IRA. The streets are far safer today - and I don't and never will buy into the Islamophobia that can pervade the right.

As for the immigration thing, again I disagree. I'm too young to remember, but I've seen marches by the NF on the news and I'm sure there was just as much fear of those from the Indian subcontinent "ruining" our traditions and history.... It was as much hysterical bullcrap then and it is today.

If Labour carried on being "New" or Tory-lite, as far as I'm concerned they can vanish up their own arses. Fortunately they didn't and now they offer a real alternative.

Recently I remembered a TV series that I watched in the 80's - A very British coup. It covered the election of a very left wing PM who the establishment (Armed Forces, Right wingers, Americans etc) set out to destroy. Blow me, found this in the Independent today:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...my-corbyns-rise-inspires-sequel-10428313.html

If you are interested in the TV series I think it is still floating around on the Web.

Also available on DVD.I have a copy.:thumbsup:

Johnson needs to seriously up his game if he is to have any chance of that. By all accounts he has had a very ordinary start to his latest stint as an MP. Cameron did a job on him as well, bringing him in to Cabinet, but not actually giving him any significant responsibility.

I'm convinced that Boy George will be the next leader of the Tories.

Back