• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Hillson Departs

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Surely if you’re pointing out about mental health then age has nothing to do with it.

You can’t slag off Collin because he’s 21 but you can slag off someone because they’re 40?

The point should be, criticism is ok, in a constructive and non abusive manner, abuse is not ok. Regardless of age, sex, religion, race etc.
I never said that.

Almost all online pile-ons & abuse are unnecessary and bad. My point about his age is that it merely makes things worse, it doesn't excuse similar behaviour being doled out to others that are older/have more experience.

That's ridiculous comparison comparing the working man to footballer. Being footballer is privileged which 95% of us to love to be. Footballers know what to expect when entering that industry. Unfortunately at times its unforgiving industry but at same time it's very rewarding industry which pays well........ I don't condone personal abuse but if I'm paying my money and I'm seeing a player perform badly over period of time I will vent my frustration ie booing or saying that's crap need to up your game at the stadium. If Colin has been getting Social media abuse which im guessing from your comments then that's not on, but in the stadium if fan gives player some stick after bad performances and the team isn't playing well I don't see that as issue, the same goes to player giving some back to the fan ie the next week he score a goal and wants to make point. Part parcel of the game I guess.
Why is it privileged?

Sounds more like a golden cage to me.

I wouldn’t swap my life for his.

A good healthy respectful debate, with some good points coming from different angles. One thing we have all agreed on, online abuse is totally unacceptable towards anyone, regardless of age, work industry, or social status, etc. The wrong thing said can affect anyone, as deep down, none of us truly know someone else's state of mind or what else they may be going through. It's good to know that even though we can agree or disagree on many things, most mutually agree on this and as a club we will call people out for it. Irrespective of earnings, footballers are equally humans and have external factors that impact their lives, so it's important to know where the line is when giving them a bit of stick, which in itself, is OK, if it doesn't become toxic and personal. Sadly, some people don't know where that line is.

What do you do for work?

If you haven’t been performing well for a period of time, whatever the circumstances, do you get 6,000 fans hurling abuse at you at your place of work?

Do you get constant groans if you do the equivalent at your work as putting the ball out of play?

Do you log onto social media after a bad day at work and have loads of messages of abuse being you made a mistake?

Just because they are footballers, doesn’t mean they deserve abuse if they aren’t playing well?

Constructive criticism is absolutely fine, but so of the stuff I’ve read about Collin is horrendous. Especially from people that can’t spell his name…
6000 fans hurling abuse? a vast majority of fans despite the form of Collin and team remain supportive. Don’t tar us all with the same brush

That's ridiculous comparison comparing the working man to footballer. Being footballer is privileged which 95% of us to love to be. Footballers know what to expect when entering that industry. Unfortunately at times its unforgiving industry but at same time it's very rewarding industry which pays well........ I don't condone personal abuse but if I'm paying my money and I'm seeing a player perform badly over period of time I will vent my frustration ie booing or saying that's crap need to up your game at the stadium. If Colin has been getting Social media abuse which im guessing from your comments then that's not on, but in the stadium if fan gives player some stick after bad performances and the team isn't playing well I don't see that as issue, the same goes to player giving some back to the fan ie the next week he score a goal and wants to make point. Part parcel of the game I guess.

How is it a ridiculous comparison?

Collin is just doing his job, same as you just doing your job. Don’t forget, that’s all football is, it’s a job. There are stories of lots of footballers who don’t actually like football, just like loads of us don’t like our jobs.

Of course a lot of people say things in the stadium, the emotions get the better of us all, but the need to “pile in” on him and others in the past, on here or social media is ridiculous. I’ve barely read any “constructive criticism” of Collin and his performances, for example on of the posters on here just referred to him as “calamity Colin” (spelling his name wrong).

As for your last point, I’d love that to be true. But the thing is, we all know, if Collin is getting abuse from the South Stand (for example, right behind him), and he saved a penalty in the last minute which preserved a win for us, and turned round and went “no so **** not am I” perhaps with a few more swear words in it, people would take offence.

6000 fans hurling abuse? a vast majority of fans despite the form of Collin and team remain supportive. Don’t tar us all with the same brush

Okay, the potential for 6000 fans to hurl abuse.

I’ve certainly, over the past couple of weeks, read and heard more people who haven’t been supportive. But, obviously, people are always more vocal when things are wrong than when they are right.

Wish him all the best, but having been with us so long and not been offered a permanent deal, it must be clear to him that the coaches didn’t see him as anything other than a stop gap. If he’s been offered a permanent deal somewhere else now, albeit at a lower level, where he has a chance of starting most weeks then I can’t blame him for taking it.

Hopefully the white board has a list of names on it to replace him or even to compete with Collin as no.1

Collin is just doing his job, same as you just doing your job. Don’t forget, that’s all football is, it’s a job. There are stories of lots of footballers who don’t actually like football, just like loads of us don’t like our jobs.

Of course a lot of people say things in the stadium, the emotions get the better of us all, but the need to “pile in” on him and others in the past, on here or social media is ridiculous. I’ve barely read any “constructive criticism” of Collin and his performances, for example on of the posters on here just referred to him as “calamity Colin” (spelling his name wrong).

As for your last point, I’d love that to be true. But the thing is, we all know, if Collin is getting abuse from the South Stand (for example, right behind him), and he saved a penalty in the last minute which preserved a win for us, and turned round and went “no so **** not am I” perhaps with a few more swear words in it, people would take offence.
Well it is bit of ridiculous comparison given a footballer is playing at stadiums infront of fans where you are expected to perform and if your not able to perform on regular basis then unfortunately your open to criticism from fans now and again compared to the 9-5 job...... whether that's banter, bit of stick on performances, that's the nature of football it's all ways been like that. The personal abuse rubbish isn't on and no 1 should be subjected to that. If a guy in the south stand dishes it out then he should be able take it and admit fair play I got it wrong, it shouldn't be 1 way street but i get your point interms of the fan not be able to accept it. As iv said previously the football industry is privileged but at the same time it's unforgiving due to the competitive nature. With not just your manager demanding result but the fans and the owners which both invest lot of money in it. From fan perspective it's lot of money to support your club nowadays..... your paying thousands to go watch your club play a season up and down the country, if the fan is seeing poor performances with bad results then they are entitled to have there say aslong it's not personal. In regards to Colin, I'm sure he got good people around him who will give him good advice and experience in how to overcome this bad spell..... Hopefully he be stronger for it and go on to have decent career.

I never said that.

Almost all online pile-ons & abuse are unnecessary and bad. My point about his age is that it merely makes things worse, it doesn't excuse similar behaviour being doled out to others that are older/have more experience.
How does it make it worse? I’m sorry I don’t get your logic. What if the person dishing out is an 18 year old?

I don’t get your logic I’m afraid. Online abuse is wrong and unnecessary. A persons age should not even be a factor. The act alone is the problem, not who it is aimed at.

This issue has really opened up a can of worms. The word “abuse” now has such sinister connotations that nobody in their right mind would wish to own up to dishing it out. Therefore I would like to replace it for the purpose of this discussion to “venting their feelings”.
We have all done it, “for god’s sake man, pass it forward” is an example of a criticism which even if a player hears it, it is within acceptable boundaries.
What is not acceptable is a personal attack like “you are absolutely cr**, Jones”. And, you might not agree on this “you’re just a c*** with a whistle” is also totally unacceptable.
Players or officials performing to the best of their ability do not deserve such personal attacks on their performance, however poor they are perceived to be.
The only scenario where players should expect a personal verbal attack is where they have clearly cheated ie rolling around in supposed agony and then immediately got up once they have won a free kick and/or got the opponent booked or sent off.
Generic booing at half-time or full-time is not a problem either because as punters you are entitled to react if you feel you have not received value for money.

Obviously we all will have our own views on where to draw the line, but this is my take on it.

The same experts that select Bonne over Pepple? I fully back Kev and co and always have but the continuous selection of Bonne over Pepple is a mystery
They'll have their reasons. I don't know what they are but could be....

Prefer playing permanent v loan
Think Bonne/walker is better partnership than Bonne/pebble or pebble/walker
Bonne is banging them in in training
Pebble carrying a knock
Etc, etc

You're never going to agree with every decision the experts make - but to get back on point, to champion a player you've never seen play is, imho, slightly odd.

Pebble carrying a knock
Etc, etc

You're never going to agree with every decision the experts make - but to get back on point, to champion a player you've never seen play is, imho, slightly odd.
Interesting that Alex Reid, 6' 4" Oldham striker signed for Wealdstone on loan until January and immediately banged in a hat-trick on his debut in the FA cup. I wonder if this player had ever been on Southend's radar?

Okay, the potential for 6000 fans to hurl abuse.

I’ve certainly, over the past couple of weeks, read and heard more people who haven’t been supportive. But, obviously, people are always more vocal when things are wrong than when they are right.
Unfortunately that’s the nature of a football fan whether you play for Man City, Southend, Billericay etc. always has been and always will be. Obvs it’s a personal choice whether you do or don’t. I’ve always got behind the team no matter what but some of the performances at home the past few weeks and particularly away at Fylde have been awful. Kev and co have done so well under extreme circumstances so the bar is raised high so some of the performances have been surprisingly bad and some of the selections odd. Yes we’ve had injuries and suspensions but the teams Kev has put out should have been good enough to beat the likes of Fylde and Maidenhead. Should people abuse Kev and the players of course not but I also don’t think they should be criticised if they choose to. Football is very different to almost all other jobs in that respect

Pebble carrying a knock
Etc, etc

Yes i understand that however he did play preseason and also was at Arsenal up until recently so that would suggest he has some talent. For the record I’m not one that has been continuously slating Collin but he has made mistakes this season so yesterday would have been a good opportunity to give him a break. That obvs couldn’t happen and I’m glad as yesterday would have done Collin a lot of good with his performance

There has been a good deal of support for Collin and rightly so. The lad is a very good keeper and an even better prospect.

Personal abuse needs to stop but that is a very long process and involves the reeducation of an enormous number of people. I feel more needs to be done, in football generally, to support the victims of abuse and to reframe their thinking to accept the mindlessness of others is exactly that.

Throughout society we have thousands, hundreds of thousands of people in jobs where the work place abuse or stress of the job is too much for them. Sometimes it has to be accepted that a number of people simply should not be in that job. They do not have the mechanisms in place to cope or the capacity to adopt the life enhancing mechanisms necessary. More often though, many can respond better if they receive the right support.

The game needs to do more for the likes of Collin if we are to retain his obvious talent and that of many others. In the old days he would be told to grow a pair, unhelpful, and now we hear about the need for coaches to put an arm around their shoulder, a bit more helpful but not, in some cases, enough in a trained/professional capacity.

Football may solve the problem itself if it becomes any more sterile. The mercurial and maverick has been coached out and the game is increasingly predictable. We may end up with a crowd of ten people shouting ' well done that chap/pess 'whenever a goal is scored and players apologising profusely to each other for a tackle.

I am now 63 years young and lived through many changing attitudes and acceptable behaviours in Society.
The word 'tolerance' is very prevalent today, especially when prefaced with the word 'zero'.
In the majority this has been a positive evolution, although some have in certain situations been subject to knee jerk castigation and a lack of understanding, that a lifetimes use of descriptive terminology and practices, that have now become demonised, which were once freely used in daily life, from the workplace to family entertainment, can and will take time to personally eradicate from an individual's vocabulary.
Football is obviously part of Society and despite the protestation that "It's always been like that with football" the 'bubble' around the game is not there anymore and is deemed unacceptable to exist.
It is said we live in a 'Woke Society' and as each generation comes forth the expectation has to be this will be more embedded.
We are also living in a more enlightened time as to the awareness of mental wellbeing and therefore can not be ignorant to what can be a 'trigger' to someone's issues.
The old adage "Sometimes it's not what you say but how you say it" is arguably more relevant today than it's ever been.
Will a term such as 'You're a waste of space' in the fullness of time be frowned on in the same way as 'You useless ethnic C word' or other terms we all know and have heard and regrettably still hear? The wind of change in Society attitudes being what it is can we realistically rule it out?
Football will have to mirror the change in attitudes, because one thing in life that is guaranteed is change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back