• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Has Ron gambled and lost with the future of SUFC??

I know market conditions dictate even minted people can't go around flashing cash right now, but (& to be fair we don't know he hasn't) but I'd like to know why Ron hasn't atried to get another large investor on board. I'm not talking the filthy stupid cash of a Man City or even now a Notts County, but just a decent six-figure injection. Surely there must be somebody local and with SUFC tendencies (a Moyet, a Gahan or even some other less famous minted resident of Essex) who might consider investing for a bit of nice publicity and little expectation?

Its not really an investment though is it, what chance of any return is there ?

basically its a gift we are after

Ssssshhhhh, I was trying to make it sound promising.
If RM's not on tonight's Dragon's Den, I think we know it's curtains for SUFC...

We have got 7000 regular fans
if we got 5000 of them to give a tenner a month that would inject 600,000 a year into the club.

Unfortunately we would not get 3/4 of our attending fans to make this commitment, yet most want a Chairman who would do the whole 600k and more off his own back.

And before anyone mentions the ticket prices as commitment , that is the price being paid for admission to an entertainment event, I doubt anyone buys a season ticket because it benefits the club , they buy them because its easier / cheaper than getting one for each match

if we got 5000 of them to give a tenner a month that would inject 600,000 a year into the club.

Unfortunately we would not get 3/4 of our attending fans to make this commitment, yet most want a Chairman who would do the whole 600k and more off his own back.

And before anyone mentions the ticket prices as commitment , that is the price being paid for admission to an entertainment event, I doubt anyone buys a season ticket because it benefits the club , they buy them because its easier / cheaper than getting one for each match

I'd pay £120 a year to be a Shrimper, as long as there was a little bit of autonomy in it. I'm not wanting an Ebbsfleet style fans input, just a guarantee that the £500k or whatever raised would go purely on team strengthening (or emergency tax payments...)

I know market conditions dictate even minted people can't go around flashing cash right now, but (& to be fair we don't know he hasn't) but I'd like to know why Ron hasn't atried to get another large investor on board. I'm not talking the filthy stupid cash of a Man City or even now a Notts County, but just a decent six-figure injection. Surely there must be somebody local and with SUFC tendencies (a Moyet, a Gahan or even some other less famous minted resident of Essex) who might consider investing for a bit of nice publicity and little expectation?

The problem here is that RM and Co hold all the cards but seem to be property rich and penny poor. They sit on Millions of £££'s of real estate (that once belonged to SUFC) but cant pay a relatively small tax bill. If the Club was sold, would it come as a complete package - I doubt it. The Club is virtually worthless, but the land is potentially worth sqillions!

Having a property developer own our Club has never sat comfortably with me - all that open space - far too tempting!

He 'talks the talk' now he needs to do the other bit. I doubt he has put a penny of his own money into the Club. Any 'cash injection' and 'writing off debts' are all on the slate and will be clawed back from the redevelopment and if that doesnt come.........start panicking.

Good call.

I think Vince Clarke could do a job for us.

Seriously though, The very least he could do is form a group with that short bloke who used to be in Busted and do a charity concert at the Pipe of Port.

Fiver a head, inc chicken in a basket (or a veggie option) and the chance to win a tin of Quality Street in a raffle at the end of the night.

But hang on my darlings, when J started doubting Ron and the Big man's plans, months, in some cases years.. ago. I was shouted down. Now the tide is turning, i can't wait til i say - I told you so, in fact i'll start a thread on it with that title, that's how much glee i will have of the situation.

I really don't think it was in Ron's plans for the club to fail. You doubted his stadium plans, not his ability to run the club until the stadium plans had been fulfilled.

I can't believe some people are saying that things are fine. The club is in a very poor state.

The same could be said about the club at any time in the last 15+ years.

Must admit i find it quite extraordinary that local media hasn't reported on it, especially considering the rubbish they print at times!

Cowed into submission?

He 'talks the talk' now he needs to do the other bit. I doubt he has put a penny of his own money into the Club. Any 'cash injection' and 'writing off debts' are all on the slate and will be clawed back from the redevelopment and if that doesnt come.........start panicking.
It has been said directly from Geoff King that Ron puts his own money into the club to keep it afloat.

Unless he was lying through his teeth then I'm afraid you're wrong.

You honestly think that do you?

RM paid around £900K IIRC from his own pocket with something to do with the new stadium. I can't remember exactly what, but I'm sure someone can shed some more light on this.

Also, his paid for coaches out of his own pocket countless times, the most recent being Doncaster away.

I remember posting on a thread re the new stadium after having a chat with someone on the board at roots hall , they was adament that the stadium would not go ahead and they even laughed at the mention of it .

Told me in no uncertain terms that we was skintos , never really lost sleep over it as there was plenty of counter stories stating everything was ok and also Rons own words .

Not doubting you at all, but if true then a very disturbing comment indeed.

Back