• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

I suspect, if the FGR interest is correct, the only question is, does HC want to stay or go? It really doesn't matter what us fans want. It's Harry who has to make the best of his opportunities and at 27 it is an important time in a player's career. Less years forward than behind. Whatever he decides to do, good luck to him.

Do we know that the release clause is £120k, we know there is release course in place, I accept that, but I’m not sure anyone is able to confirm the actual fee, I would suspect the interest and bids rejected from Exeter would have been used as part of the contract negotiations around release clause etc, but I thought we had rejected a offer of or around £150k from Exeter so seems a little low £120k if that is the case.

Lose Cards and Kensdale and suddenly our squad is worse that it was before the bloody takeover. Bodies are needed and fast.. we need to stop this “will only sign if his star sign matches that of a random squad members today” horse****.
Funny, but a gross exaggeration.

I struggle to get my head around the inability to understand that:
  1. The club is simply not going to just "get a body in". Maybe in absolutely dire straits, but we're not there yet.
  2. Other clubs hoovered up a load of our targets (first, second and third in some cases) whilst we were unable to make any signings.
  3. The management team has some targets, some of them currently at EFL clubs, and is holding on in the hope that they won't go to another EFL club before the deadline and that we can nab them afterwards.
I understand a degree of impatience and panic - what's new with football fans? - but anybody advocating the club dropping interest in top targets that they think they are in with a good shout of landing, and going for someone they deem to be a worse fit, or of lower quality, just to "get bodies in", is off their rocker.

Last edited:

1. The club is simply not going to just "get a body in". Maybe in absolutely direct straits, but we're not there yet.
  2. Other clubs hoovered up a load of our targets (first, second and third in some cases) whilst we were unable to make any signings.
  3. The management team has some targets, some of them currently at EFL clubs, and is holding on in the hope that they won't go to another EFL club before the deadline and that we can nab them afterwards.
I understand a degree of impatience and panic - what's new with football fans? - but anybody advocating the club dropping interest in top targets that they think they are in with a good shout of landing, and going for someone they deem to be a worse fit, or of lower quality, just to "get bodies in", is off their rocker.
And if I were a betting man, I'd put money on those moaning about our careful, diligent recruitment process would be the first to moan about performances / attitude of players signed without the very same diligence.

Oh, and Direct Straits sounds like a crap tribute act.

And if I were a betting man, I'd put money on those moaning about our careful, diligent recruitment process would be the first to moan about performances / attitude of players signed without the very same diligence.

Fick you, autocorrect!

Southend always been a selling club and always will be until it truly becomes self sustaining, get used to it things can only really change once the refurbishment of RH and the training ground are completed , and we getting 7 to 8 k or more regularly attending home matches Plus entertainment centre of some sort to bring in money during the off season, that to me is very important if we are to become self sustaining .

Totally this, come January when striker Phil McAvity, brought in August just to fill a space in the team, misses his 3rd 1 on 1 chance of the game seeing a 1 : 0 loss to the bottom side, fans will be questioning the ‘team’ as to why we are buying such poor players

Do we have a choice here? If the release clause is £120k and someone meets it, it's then all down to the player.
We can't ask massive sums for our players because their value is linked to their wages, isn't it?
It was Terry Venables at Spurs who I think had a right go at Vic Jobson over negotiations for the transfer of Dean Austin I think. His point was if we valued him so highly, why are we not paying him more?
This is a very valid point. When wages are as they are, we are not going to get that much for any of our players.

Do we have a choice here? If the release clause is £120k and someone meets it, it's then all down to the player.
We can't ask massive sums for our players because their value is linked to their wages, isn't it?
It was Terry Venables at Spurs who I think had a right go at Vic Jobson over negotiations for the transfer of Dean Austin I think. His point was if we valued him so highly, why are we not paying him more?
This is a very valid point. When wages are as they are, we are not going to get that much for any of our players.
I can’t imagine that Stan was on top dollar.

1. The club is simply not going to just "get a body in". Maybe in absolutely dire straits, but we're not there yet.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. Our transfer strategy is one of hope!

Agree with the long term strategy, but at what point do we just bring in some bodies on 28 day loans?

Cardwell has done a good job for us but spent a lot of time injured, and with age that will only increase unfortunately .

I would rather not lose him 9espcially now with all the injuries), but despite plenty of decent chances he has only scored once this season and hasn't pulled up trees like before.

GSM, Taylor and Miley are more important long term IMO and I trust JS and the team to get someone else in who can regularly find the net for us.

Back