• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Harry Cardwell

Do we have a choice here? If the release clause is £120k and someone meets it, it's then all down to the player.
We can't ask massive sums for our players because their value is linked to their wages, isn't it?
It was Terry Venables at Spurs who I think had a right go at Vic Jobson over negotiations for the transfer of Dean Austin I think. His point was if we valued him so highly, why are we not paying him more?
This is a very valid point. When wages are as they are, we are not going to get that much for any of our players.
Interesting, never knew it was linked to wages. That must be league dependent as I’ve always wondered why some players have relatively modest release clauses and yet others are crazy high, particularly in Spain. I recall Barcelona had things like €300-500m for some of their players which would never realistically be activated.

So if Cards goes, release clause is £120k, against what I believe we paid for him £35k.

That would leave £85K

IIRC there was a sell percentage in the deal too, not sure what it was, but for argument's sake, say it was 20% of the profit.

That would leave £68k from the transfer to go into the kitty, IF 100% of any profit were given to the management team.

Maybe that would put us in the position of funding a couple of players at around the £30k region to be able to bring in.

So if Cards goes, release clause is £120k, against what I believe we paid for him £35k.

That would leave £85K

IIRC there was a sell percentage in the deal too, not sure what it was, but for argument's sake, say it was 20% of the profit.

That would leave £68k from the transfer to go into the kitty, IF 100% of any profit were given to the management team.

Maybe that would put us in the position of funding a couple of players at around the £30k region to be able to bring in.
Well, as @Yorkshire Blue pointed out earlier, Cardwell will also be entitled to his signing on bonus if he didn't proactively hand in a transfer request.

Just done a bit of digging on this, as this was news to me last night.

Cards DOES have a release clause, and FGR HAVE met this. As a result, we have no option but to accept. This isn’t a lack of ambition on our part, but part of football.

Cards signed a new deal, with a pay rise and a release clause which was from their side, not the Clubs. The Club then tries to get it as high as possible, whilst the agent tries to get it as low as possible.

The Club HAVE tried their best to keep him, but he has traveled to FGR today (hence why he isn’t at training). Now, I imagine he will sign for them, but there is still a chance he says no. We will have to wait on that. Hopefully a Roots Hall burger is more appealing than a vegan burger…On second thoughts 😬

In terms of players, I personally feel Cardwell is the hardest to replace. His size, his work rate, his ability to score goals and everything else. He should be playing in the EFL so it’s disappointing we could lose him to a side in the same division, but make no mistake about it FGR are throwing money at their promotion push. Cards can double or triple his wages, nice signing on fee too. I actually think he’d be mad to turn them down.

If he does go, I’ll be gutted. As a player, I love Cards and we are weaker when he isn’t there. It will be one hell of a job to replace him, but I’d back Still & the amigos to do a good job. Wonder if we turn back to McCullum (this isn’t me hinting) as Cards replacement.

P.S. Mods, this can be duplicated or even moved to the Cardwell thread. I thought I was replying in that one.

I wasn’t bothered about losing Wes and Powell. This is the first real asset the club has lost from the players assembled under Maher. Especially in a position we are very light on…leaves us going into tomorrow with no strikers.

This is a little disappointing from Cardwell as he turned down interest from the football league previously and is clearly just going for the money. He must also feel FGR have a better shot of going up than us possibly. Also breaks up the loyalty of the squad and could mean others will follow.

Kind of feel we should have offered him an improved contract to stay…we are going to have to compete otherwise we are not getting out of this division anytime soon…money talks.

We’llhave to change our match strategy and do lots of hold the ball, pass sideways and backwards, rinse and repeat.

Another way to look at this is that there doesn’t appear to have been an effective Cardwell and….. pairing. An opportunity for one or to to step up.

Back