• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip George Moncur signs on loan for the season

Transfer news
Didnt see the game last night, but im picturing a jan molby type player, sitting in the middle after a few pies spreading the ball around like a legend
I am guessing your post was tongue in cheek, but don't think he was anywhere near as weighty as Molby. He isn't the most svelte footballer, but I think some comments are a bit OTT.

I am guessing your post was tongue in cheek, but don't think he was anywhere near as weighty as Molby. He isn't the most svelte footballer, but I think some comments are a bit OTT.
Yeah was only messing, im sure it wont take long for him to get up to speed. We have plenty of grafters around him anyway. I hope they are looking for another attacking midfielder as well, injuries will play a part im sure.

Shame pedder didnt stick around, he could have learned a lot from moncur and maybe been part of something special.

Seen a few comments about Moncur getting to “match fitness” .. I think he’s there. We ain’t gonna see him tearing back to cover too often and I doubt we’ll see many (if any) 90 min games out of him. He’s already got the talent, that’s what we need from him. Moncur, Bridge and Husin let loose on some teams .. could be great viewing.

Seen a few comments about Moncur getting to “match fitness” .. I think he’s there. We ain’t gonna see him tearing back to cover too often and I doubt we’ll see many (if any) 90 min games out of him. He’s already got the talent, that’s what we need from him. Moncur, Bridge and Husin let loose on some teams .. could be great viewing.
Hes 31 not 41, he should be able to play a full match you would have thought once up to fitness.

As mentioned elsewhere it shows the difference nowadays between the NL & L1. A few years back they seemed a lot closer in standard, teams could often go up from the NL straight through to L1 & stay there & hardly change their squad. Now we have a situation where a player like Moncur arrives in the NL and looks a class apart, but no longer good enough for the lower end of L1. Shows how things have changed. Lets hope he doesn't think its all too easy & starts getting relaxed.

A midfield of Noor, Miley and Moncur has a great balance. Miley does the dirty work and breaks play.

Moncur seemed to raise the game of those around him. Great first touch, great eye for a pass and looking forward to him scoring from distance and taking pens.

Great signing for us.

Even if we only get around 60mins from him most games it will still feel like a plus to me.

He's fit, but not match fit, as said by himself and Kev Maher. There's nothing to replicate playing in games, and that's what he's short of pre season. So I think he's going to be more mobile than people think as he gets the minutes in.

O's fan (Southend resident) here in peace. Moncs looked class when he signed for us in League Two, but his fitness dropped off alarmingly. Last season in League One was often subbed at 60-70 minutes. Hope he does well for you, there's a decent player there with great ability to hold the ball and direct play.

Last edited:
O's fan (Southend resident) here in peace. Moncs looked class when he signed for us in League Two, but his fitness dropped off alarmingly. Last season in League One was often subbed at 60-70 minutes. Hope he does well for you, there's a decent player there with great ability to hold the ball and direct play.
Can I ask .. as I’ve seen this from a few O’s fans now. Did you change tactics in L1 or is it just that players get less time on the ball there and get closed down quicker maybe? Has he ever been super fit? Guess the question is for Col U fans also.

I think one of his other attributes will be how he seemed on a couple of occasions last night to drift into position just 5-6 yards outside the box but in good space with no defender seeming to pick him up, is he one of those 'ghost' players who just seems to find space or was it Boston's defence not picking him up? Time will tell, but last night if Bridge or Ralph had seen him and played a ball in he was in good potential shooting position. If that is an attribute that he has then it adds another aspect to our threat in that area.

Looking at previous pictures he doesn’t even look fatter than in previous seasons and still ain’t exactly fat now. This is orient fans getting in your heads. Yes he needs to get match fit but he certainly ain’t fat and we need to come away from this idea
I think we need to take coxy as an example here well know for managing his own pre season and training demands you would’nt suggest he was super fit and as slim as all footballers but certainly enough for the standard he played and play he did !

Back