• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip George Moncur signs on loan for the season

Transfer news
As mentioned elsewhere it shows the difference nowadays between the NL & L1. A few years back they seemed a lot closer in standard, teams could often go up from the NL straight through to L1 & stay there & hardly change their squad. Now we have a situation where a player like Moncur arrives in the NL and looks a class apart, but no longer good enough for the lower end of L1. Shows how things have changed. Lets hope he doesn't think its all too easy & starts getting relaxed.
If he does I have no doubt he will be warming the bench frequently.

Can I ask .. as I’ve seen this from a few O’s fans now. Did you change tactics in L1 or is it just that players get less time on the ball there and get closed down quicker maybe? Has he ever been super fit? Guess the question is for Col U fans also.

No, we didn’t change tactics. The pace of the game and the speed of the players are just too much for him in L1.

Anyway, I digress. I was genuinely in Sarfend this afternoon and wondered why my car swerved towards Roots Hall as I was escaping up the A127. I thought perchance I had heard @TrueBlue siren song calling me for a steak dinner and a cuddle. Or perhaps it was my dreaded latent love for the Shrimpers trying to drag me in to watch my secretly beloved non League stallions? Or were the words of my psychiatrist begging me to confront the site of the cause of my night terrors: Lee Barnard’s hat-trick (NOOOOOO LEE BARNARD NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)? But now I understand the inescapable truth…

It was the gravitational pull of George Moncur’s arse.
Christ you still alive?! 😂

Can I ask .. as I’ve seen this from a few O’s fans now. Did you change tactics in L1 or is it just that players get less time on the ball there and get closed down quicker maybe? Has he ever been super fit? Guess the question is for Col U fans also.
To be honest I had to check to stats back to recall and was amazed it was 10 years ago he first came to Col U. In 2014/2015 (when he was still a young man!) he was our 5th highest player based on minutes played which matches my recollection that we didn’t have any fitness or injury concerns whilst he was with us in League 1. Nothing really sticks in my mind about him in the 2 seasons other than the rumblings of him being a bit odd off the pitch but entirely possible that it was a lack of understanding or acceptance of his religious beliefs.

He never really stood out as fans favourite, windup merchant, hard man etc, he’s probably mostly remember for the family name and Christianity to be truthful.

I think you’ve got a good signing for as long as he has desire to play and do well. Football isn’t his priority in life (never has been and don’t think that’s necessarily a bad thing) and don’t believe he really needs the money so if it stops being “good” for him at any point suspect he will just check out.

The best thing you have going for you is your fans if they get behind him and make him feel loved. Equally if they turn on him even for a half a game or two then I think that’s when problems will quickly start (silly injuries that mean he’s not quite fit enough to play etc)

Last edited:
Just read somewhere that apparently GM's close mates and regular golf partners with Harry Kane. Was an old Daily Mail article so must be true.

Southend United are delighted to announce the signing of attacking midfielder George Moncur on a season-long loan from Leyton Orient.

Moncur has played well over 300 games in the EFL and joins the Club following two strong seasons at Orient.

Upon signing, he said: “I can’t wait to meet the boys, help them out as much as I can and get some goals and some wins.

“There are really good people here with the coaching staff and everyone behind the scenes. I know it’s a big Club and the atmosphere’s brilliant, so I’m really looking forward to getting out there.”

He appeared in 43 league games as the O’s won promotion to League One in 2022/23, scoring nine goals that season, before playing 35 times in the third tier last term.

The 31-year-old also has a significant amount of experience in the Championship, where he’s represented Barnsley, Luton and Hull City.

Moncur progressed through West Ham United’s academy, with his first senior experience coming at AFC Wimbledon shortly after the Dons were promoted back to the EFL.

He also made 86 league appearances for Colchester United in the 2014/15 and 2015/16 seasons, scoring an impressive 20 goals across those years. That earned him the move to the second tier with Barnsley.

Now Moncur arrives at Roots Hall, wearing shirt number 20, determined to do the same in the National League.

Head Coach Kevin Maher says Moncur will be a great fit. “When we heard that it might be possible, it was something that we wanted to do.

“He’s got loads of experience in the leagues above and he’s the type of player that I feel like we need. I’m sure he’ll fit in really well with the lads.

“We want to get the best out of him and he’ll get the best out of us as well I’m sure. Having someone with the knowledge and nous he’s got is something that we wanted to add. He knows the game inside out and he’ll bring another dimension to us.”

The midfielder is available for this evening's home game against Boston United. Welcome, George!
  • 5439fa00-5ed7-11ef-acd6-13a646e51850.jpg
  • 54816340-5ed7-11ef-9904-2bcc6a0fd978.jpg
  • 54872fa0-5ed7-11ef-a2df-834284af5669.jpg
I think we should sign him

I spoke to my Orient mate (everybody has one!) and he said no chance - LG1 is too quick for him, he won't be going back to Birdbrain Road any time soon

Back