• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip George Moncur signs on loan for the season

Transfer news
Anyway, I digress. I was genuinely in Sarfend this afternoon and wondered why my car swerved towards Roots Hall as I was escaping up the A127. I thought perchance I had heard @TrueBlue siren song calling me for a steak dinner and a cuddle. Or perhaps it was my dreaded latent love for the Shrimpers trying to drag me in to watch my secretly beloved non League stallions? Or were the words of my psychiatrist begging me to confront the site of the cause of my night terrors: Lee Barnard’s hat-trick (NOOOOOO LEE BARNARD NOOOOOOOOOOOO!)? But now I understand the inescapable truth…

It was the gravitational pull of George Moncur’s arse.

Can't think of a better player technically in the division offhand, this is a quality signing. Looking forward to seeing him on the pitch!

Pros:

- Excellent close control. The aforementioned gigantic arse makes it extremely difficult to knock him off the ball.

- Usually plays the most intelligent pass available to him; if there’s nothing much on he has enough confidence in himself to hold on to the ball and wait for a better opportunity to present itself.

- Will challenge for the ball in the air, though he rarely gets far off of the ground.

- Comes alive on the edge of the penalty area; always looking for an opportunity to shoot or occasionally play a killer pass.

- Surprising short-area (5 yards, tops) quickness. Reminds me of Gimli and his “we dwarves are natural sprinters, you know” spiel.

- Strong dressing room influence. I understand he was particularly generous with his time when it came to imparting his knowledge to younger players. Ringleader in our promotion-winning team adopting a (f***ing awful) song and building team spirit.

- Expert penalty-taker. Never missed for us.

Cons:

- I don’t think it’s unfair to question his professionalism. His fitness issues are well-documented from long before arriving at Orient and he has done nothing to assuage them since. More worryingly than that I have witnessed him give up in games when things aren’t falling for him. Perhaps he believes that Jesus decided it was time for him to stop bothering to do the job he’s being paid for? Perhaps he just has an attitude problem.

- His stamina issues prevent him from playing for 90 minutes. On a number of occasions he was subbed on and then off again in the same game.

- Again, his lack of energy and mobility prevent him from being able to play in a two-man central midfield. This is mitigated by him playing in a more advanced role as a #10, but that brings the drawback of his inability to sustain a press.

- His defensive work is almost entirely non-existent. Not necessarily through lack of effort; he just can’t catch up with anyone.

- He can cost counter-attacks. He has no long speed whatsoever and is easily caught by recovering defenders. In short, he doesn’t suit direct football in any way, but could thrive in a slower possession-based system with runners that open space around the 18 yard box.

Cons:

- I don’t think it’s unfair to question his professionalism. His fitness issues are well-documented from long before arriving at Orient and he has done nothing to assuage them since. More worryingly than that I have witnessed him give up in games when things aren’t falling for him. Perhaps he believes that Jesus decided it was time for him to stop bothering to do the job he’s being paid for? Perhaps he just has an attitude problem.

- His stamina issues prevent him from playing for 90 minutes. On a number of occasions he was subbed on and then off again in the same game.

- Again, his lack of energy and mobility prevent him from being able to play in a two-man central midfield. This is mitigated by him playing in a more advanced role as a #10, but that brings the drawback of his inability to sustain a press.

- His defensive work is almost entirely non-existent. Not necessarily through lack of effort; he just can’t catch up with anyone.

- He can cost counter-attacks. He has no long speed whatsoever and is easily caught by recovering defenders. In short, he doesn’t suit direct football in any way, but could thrive in a slower possession-based system with runners that open space around the 18 yard box.
Hi Jonny,

You last paragraph acts as a positive for me.

Cons:

- His defensive work is almost entirely non-existent.
Not necessarily through lack of effort; he just can’t catch up with anyone.

All big red flags particularly when you consider the squad KM has built and what he expects from players. But we'll see.

Has no one questioned this signing? How will Moncur fit into Maher’s line up? Surely he’s an attacking midfielder? How do we get 8 behind the ball now and go for the 0-0?

Maybe, just maybe, we'll get the best out of him. He looked very good tonight, and is clearly more attack minded than what we're used to in midfield lately. He was blowing a bit near the end, so clearly not match fit just yet. But there were good signs that he's a classy player.

All big red flags particularly when you consider the squad KM has built and what he expects from players. But we'll see.

Possibly. I don’t think you’ll get many full 90 minute appearances out of him (certainly not ones where he consistently affects the game). But I think many of the drawbacks to his game will be mitigated by the lower level. He was a luxury we could just about afford in League Two; in League One he was an active liability.

Some of the outpourings of glee at his departure are probably justified, particularly when you take into consideration the amount he has cost. Personally I’m pleased as it’s a good move for all parties; just because he absolutely does not work for us doesn’t mean he can’t be a success at another club. I think it’s within the realm of plausibility that he can have a similar impact to what Reuben Rodriguez or Elliot Lee managed a couple of years ago.

Possibly. I don’t think you’ll get many full 90 minute appearances out of him (certainly not ones where he consistently affects the game). But I think many of the drawbacks to his game will be mitigated by the lower level. He was a luxury we could just about afford in League Two; in League One he was an active liability.

Some of the outpourings of glee at his departure are probably justified, particularly when you take into consideration the amount he has cost. Personally I’m pleased as it’s a good move for all parties; just because he absolutely does not work for us doesn’t mean he can’t be a success at another club. I think it’s within the realm of plausibility that he can have a similar impact to what Reuben Rodriguez or Elliot Lee managed a couple of years ago.
We could do with a luxury player especially one who can pass and knows where the goal is. I noticed other players raise their game when he came on, plus readily give him the ball so he clearly has some respect already. Boston were **** so not getting too excited but from your feedback he might just be the touch of class we need in tight games when we lack that bit of magic. Certainly adds another dimension. We’ve got other players who can graft.

Really impressed with Moncur's cameo tonight. The chase back to win the ball in Boston's lone breakaway, and set Bridge off, was great to see, when looking at the Orient forum and their views on his fitness. (He did blow afterwards though lol).

The one thing we lost when Moncur came on was the runs down the left that Noor offered when Bridge holds the opposition defence at a stand off and back heels it up the line. Moncur isn't going to make those runs. However, his distribution when pressed and neat little balls in and around the box were something we have been missing.

Overall I think we have acquired a real asset, thanks O's your loss, our gain.

Last edited:
Cons:

Can I just point out he done an absolutely I believable bit of defending tonight tracking back almost the length of the pitch made a last ditch challenge and then played a fantastic ball out to the left.

Back