• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip George Moncur signs on loan for the season

Transfer news
Thought he looked a class above when he came on. Clearly needs to gain some match fitness, and possibly drop a little bit of timber (although thought he looked more svelt than he looked in videos of him playing for Orient last season.

However, he takes up great positions and was always showing for the ball. He also has both the ability and the confidence to play pretty much any pass that is on, and I am hoping that he will bring out a similar confidence in others too, as the reason we run into cul-de-sacs sometimes and elect to go sideways or backwards is because a player hasn't had the confidence or vision to pick out a good forward pass that was on.

The 60 yard track back and tackle before playing the ball out to Bridge was superb, although I'm not sure he ever fully recovered physically from it!

Really impressed with Moncur's cameo tonight. The chase back to win the ball in Boston's lone breakaway, and set Bridge off, was great to see, when looking at the Orient forum and their views on his fitness. (He did blow afterwards though lol).

The one thing we lost when Moncur came on was the runs down the left that Noor offered when Bridge holds the opposition defence at a stand off and back heels it up the line. Moncur isn't going to make those runs. However, his distribution when pressed and neat little balls in and around the box were something we have been missing.

Overall I think we have acquired a real asset, thanks O's your loss, our gain.
You'd think, though, that the direction of travel is to have Husin, Miley and Moncur as the midfield three. That feels like it could be quite formidable at this level.

Overall I think we have acquired a real asset, thanks O's your loss, our gain.

Again, not a loss for us. We have better players who fit Wellens’ system more adroitly. But clearly has the potential to be a massive boon for you. Hope it works out. We’re certainly not giving him another contract so he’ll be up for grabs in the summer.

That’s his one for the season, then. Surprised he didn’t have to be subbed afterwards.
Seems like you lot really hate him. Maybe he didn’t enjoy his football in the end at Orient and hopefully he feels the love here and smashes it. From what he said and the effort he put in when he came on I am hopeful he will.

Again, not a loss for us. We have better players who fit Wellens’ system more adroitly. But clearly has the potential to be a massive boon for you. Hope it works out. We’re certainly not giving him another contract so he’ll be up for grabs in the summer.
My Os mate reckons you will struggle to stay up. Having to rely on youngsters too much with little money to spend. Would have thought someone like Moncur would help your side at present. Anyway your loss our gain and maybe we will see you next season

My Os mate reckons you will struggle to stay up. Having to rely on youngsters too much with little money to spend. Would have thought someone like Moncur would help your side at present. Anyway your loss our gain and maybe we will see you next season

League One is a bit of a horror show this year for a club like Orient. No basket cases and we’re massively outgunned on budget by over half the division. As long as the goalkeeper improves from his flappy start I’m not overly concerned about relegation, though. Shrewsbury will absolutely drop if you need a team for an acca.

Moncur looked very good but it is a reminder of how far we have dropped. You can definitely see how he played at a good level his whole career but can't cope with League 1 anymore. He looks our gain but claiming it is Orient's loss is a stretch and forgets the two division gap.

Thought he looked a class above when he came on. Clearly needs to gain some match fitness, and possibly drop a little bit of timber (although thought he looked more svelt than he looked in videos of him playing for Orient last season.

However, he takes up great positions and was always showing for the ball. He also has both the ability and the confidence to play pretty much any pass that is on, and I am hoping that he will bring out a similar confidence in others too, as the reason we run into cul-de-sacs sometimes and elect to go sideways or backwards is because a player hasn't had the confidence or vision to pick out a good forward pass that was on.

The 60 yard track back and tackle before playing the ball out to Bridge was superb, although I'm not sure he ever fully recovered physically from it!
Think this is a spot on assesment, but doubt he'l lose the timber or try to be fitter than he is. Think he's very comfortable in his skin just how he is and luckily he's talented enough at this level to get away with it.
A good signing for us

Think this is a spot on assesment, but doubt he'l lose the timber or try to be fitter than he is. Think he's very comfortable in his skin just how he is and luckily he's talented enough at this level to get away with it.
A good signing for us
Looking at previous pictures he doesn’t even look fatter than in previous seasons and still ain’t exactly fat now. This is orient fans getting in your heads. Yes he needs to get match fit but he certainly ain’t fat and we need to come away from this idea

A good signing for us
I think what will happen is he will build “match fitness” through playing and a bit more through training. We will see where that takes us but three things in his favour
1. He is an attacking CM and playmaker, not the one relied on for chasing, closing down etc. and he benefits greatly from a midfield three. That said his positioning is very good.
2. It is more than ever a squad game and with 5 from 7 subs available and with our midfield options 60 mins of quality is certainly good enough
3. In our division he will open up defences, retain possession and score goals. His strengths will be more obvious. We aren’t going to let in many so he may well be key to a top 3 spot.

If we finish recruitment off with a Tshimanga and Adarkwa then I think top spot isn’t a pipe dream.

The sun has got his hat on…

Edit: I mean Tshimanga OR Adarkwa - getting carried away :-)

I think what will happen is he will build “match fitness” through playing and a bit more through training. We will see where that takes us but three things in his favour
1. He is an attacking CM and playmaker, not the one relied on for chasing, closing down etc. and he benefits greatly from a midfield three. That said his positioning is very good.
2. It is more than ever a squad game and with 5 from 7 subs available and with our midfield options 60 mins of quality is certainly good enough
3. In our division he will open up defences, retain possession and score goals. His strengths will be more obvious. We aren’t going to let in many so he may well be key to a top 3 spot.

If we finish recruitment off with a Tshimanga and Adarkwa then I think top spot isn’t a pipe dream.

The sun has got his hat on…

Edit: I mean Tshimanga OR Adarkwa - getting carried away :-)
Langstaff at Notts County regularly used to come off at half time, or shortly after. By that time he had destroyed the opposition, including us at Meadow Lane.
If George Moncur could do that, I’d be delighted.
I was concerned when the signing was announced that he might turn out to be another Mulligan. After watching the match on the box, I don’t think so. Was a delight to see.

You could tell he played the levels above for sure great foot work and worked he’s socks off ..

The moment when he run 50/60 yards back whilst they was on the counter then to ping it wide to bridge was very good ..
It was only few mins from him today of course but once he gets settled in more / bit more match sharpness I think we have a quality player on our hands for this league .

He tried a few though balls too what nearly paid off and that is something we have missed .

Looked very good, the simple movement into space to either receive the ball or drag a player away to make space for others, very encouraging. The length of pitch track back certainly saw him blowing 🫢 but at least he did. Hopefully he can guide the younger players in the squad a bit like Anton did with Adam Thompson (wasn’t it 🤷‍♂️)

Looked very good, the simple movement into space to either receive the ball or drag a player away to make space for others, very encouraging. The length of pitch track back certainly saw him blowing 🫢 but at least he did. Hopefully he can guide the younger players in the squad a bit like Anton did with Adam Thompson (wasn’t it 🤷‍♂️)
That's exactly what I said last night about his role. The likes of Coker, Wood and Morton can only take positives when working with a player that has played at championship level. How are players like that going to learn anything from another player signed from a league or 2 leagues below? You have to have one experienced head on there to get the best out of those younger players.

You have to have a blend of youth and experience. You used the Ferdinand and Thompson comparison (good shout), I used Barrett and Bolger. Players learn so much from players that have been there and done it. One thing is for sure, players around Moncur last night, all upped there game and tried to play at his level. Bridge and Ralph in particular. Let's hope it really flourishes.

Last edited:
it was immediately obvious that he is far better at football than anyone else in the squad. Just the way he controls the ball and picks his passes, superior.

That's to be expected, let's see how he get's on against the better sides in the division with a bit les time and space. I will also be keen to see if the three amigos ask him to do the hard work or if they will accept the fact he is there to do the technical work and let him off.

That's exactly what I said last night about his role. The likes of Coker, Wood and Morton can only take positives when working with a player that has played at championship level. How are players like that going to learn anything from another player signed from a league or 2 leagues below? You have to have one experienced head on there to get the beat out of those younger players.

You have to have a blend of youth and experience. You used the Ferdinand and Thompson comparison (good shout), I used Barrett and Bolger. Players learn so much from players that have been there and done it. One thing is for sure, players around Moncur last night, all upped there game and tried to play at his level. Bridge and Ralph in particular. Let's hope it really flourishes.
Bridge and Ralph as we know have played higher up, Ralph to me is still capable of playing higher up but I believe is settled in the area and probably on a good wedge.

Good point about people raising their games, Miley Husin and Moncur the midifled three to link in with Gus, Bridge, Cards and another is very exciting

Back