• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Game of Thrones

There are books? Someone tell Jam Man!

Ive been far too busy reading the Game of Thrones books (for the second time) to comment on this thread.

Thought the series was pretty good, although like the geek I am do get a bit peeved with the plot changes. Brienne killing the Hound and meeting Arya. Why!? What did that add to the story?
The Clash of the Titan skeletons killing the boy. George Martin is capable of killing off plenty of characters without the TV show wading in.

Thought the Battle of the Wall was a bit of a let down as well, didn't really capture the scale of it for me, and worse still they relegated John Snow from the man of the moment to just being there and barely doing anything. Its meant to be his defining moment and it really didnt portray it correctly.

Those whines aside still a great show and really needs to be a few episodes longer to flesh it out more.

Ive been far too busy reading the Game of Thrones books (for the second time) to comment on this thread.

Thought the series was pretty good, although like the geek I am do get a bit peeved with the plot changes. Brienne killing the Hound and meeting Arya. Why!? What did that add to the story?
The Clash of the Titan skeletons killing the boy. George Martin is capable of killing off plenty of characters without the TV show wading in.

Thought the Battle of the Wall was a bit of a let down as well, didn't really capture the scale of it for me, and worse still they relegated John Snow from the man of the moment to just being there and barely doing anything. Its meant to be his defining moment and it really didnt portray it correctly.

Those whines aside still a great show and really needs to be a few episodes longer to flesh it out more.

That I definitely agree on - 10 months to the next series! :sad:

Brienne is like a human magnet for other charcaters in the show, she's always bumping into them. I keep expecting to see her in Tesco's any day now (with Pod pushing the trolley).

With respect the changes, they are becoming so frequent and so removed from the book I'm finding myself becoming 'that' guy, indignantly telling anyone who listens that it's 'not like that in the book'.

I fear the next series is going to distance itself from the book further. Given how the story arc's, there's a lot that will need 'Americanising' to capture their attention - (I know it's vague, bad it's hard to say without Spoilers). I'm trying to seperate them as two different entities now, the show and books.

The one good thing about the fact they are killing off charcaters that still live in the literary world, and adding in additional scenes, fights, battles etc, is that the shocks aren't just for the viewers only now; part of me actually thinks that this is why it's happening.

I wonder if we need a GOT Books (which Ive read) thread.

Would be nice to discuss the plots etc without risk of spoilers.

Well, you kept that quiet.

But yeah, might be a good idea. Will also allow us somewhere to express our outrage when they deviate and start killing off people who are still alive...

I need help settling a work dispute.

There' three of us at work, who over the course of the last few days have set up a GoT Deathmatch tourney; 32 characters have been selected and randomley drawn against one another; with seven random locations used for the fights. It's one on one, assumed at the height of their prowess. The first three battles were relatively straight forward, but the latest is Stannis vs. Yoren at the red keep.

You need to provide victor, method of victory, and damage the winner takes into the next round. This one is providing far more skiving than even we can possibly get away with. Possibly.

Thoughts.....

There' three of us at work, who over the course of the last few days have set up a GoT Deathmatch tourney; 32 characters have been selected and randomley drawn against one another; with seven random locations used for the fights. It's one on one, assumed at the height of their prowess. The first three battles were relatively straight forward, but the latest is Stannis vs. Yoren at the red keep.

You need to provide victor, method of victory, and damage the winner takes into the next round. This one is providing far more skiving than even we can possibly get away with. Possibly.

Thoughts.....

You are nerds.

:smile:

Thoughts.....

Stannis should win easily. Yoren has a bad shoulder and doesn't fight much anymore. Sword fight after Yoren slags off the Goddess.

I agree, an 'A Song of Fire and Ice' thread would be good as I intend on reading the books at some stage so from my point of view I'd rather not know where it's different from the books as all the bookies like to continually point out here!

Yeah maybe. But Stannis once defended a castle during a siege. What has Yoren actually done?

It's one on one combat though, I'm pretty sure Stannis didn't do much fighting there, just ordered better men to fight* in his stead.

*die

Pfft, he also took Dragonstone. and helped crush the Greyjoy rebellion.

He's also descended from Rhaelle Targaryen so has the Blood of the Dragon and a flaming magic sword and has most probably been schooled in the art of swordplay from a young age being a noble. Having said that I don't have him down as a master swordsman like Jaime Lannister, average to good I'd say with his main strengths being command and strategy.

Pfft, he also took Dragonstone. and helped crush the Greyjoy rebellion.

He's also descended from Rhaelle Targaryen so has the Blood of the Dragon and a flaming magic sword and has most probably been schooled in the art of swordplay from a young age being a noble. Having said that I don't have him down as a master swordsman like Jaime Lannister, average to good I'd say with his main strengths being command and strategy.

I don't see him coming close to winning the tournament, I just can't see a man that's used to shouting out orders and watching others fight and fall, will be particularly good in one on one combat with a perfectly able man like Yoren, somone who'll fight dirty, who'll spit sourleaf through the eye slit in Stannis helm to gain the advantage. Stannis's self belief, honour and pride won't allow him to resot to the dirty tricks Yoren uses, that have kept him safe recruiting for 30 years.

Also, his flaming sword
  Spoiler:  
is a Mummers farce reading the books, if Aemon Targaryen is to be believed, and he's pretty smart

Anyway, we've come across our next contentious battle; it involves a character that has not shown himself in the series though, so it's for the readers only I guess.

Robb stark v
  Spoiler:  
Jon Connington (Griff)

Last edited:
I don't see him coming close to winning the tournament, I just can't see a man that's used to shouting out orders and watching others fight and fall, will be particularly good in one on one combat with a perfectly able man like Yoren, somone who'll fight dirty, who'll spit sourleaf through the eye slit in Stannis helm to gain the advantage. Stannis's self belief, honour and pride won't allow him to resot to the dirty tricks Yoren uses, that have kept him safe recruiting for 30 years.

Also, his flaming sword
  Spoiler:  
is a Mummers farce reading the books, if Aemon Targaryen is to be believed, and he's pretty smart

Anyway, we've come across our next contentious battle; it involves a character that has not shown himself in the series though, so it's for the readers only I guess.

Robb stark v
  Spoiler:  
Jon Connington (Griff)

OOh good one. The other one definitely. He'll be really angry by now.

OOh good one. The other one definitely. He'll be really angry by now.

Argh, you're just like these two morons at work. The other one's a glorified babysitter, who had to have someone else save his protectee on the barge, he even let his protectee's kin down in his back story.

You know nothing Naps.

And to make matters worse, they just killed off Strong Belwas. With Bran for fecks sake.

I'm out.

Last edited:
Back