• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News F.A Cup 1st Round draw. Southend United vs Charlton Athletic

Home game against any team that will draw a decent gate and it means we don't have to squeeze into the East Stand only.

Home game against any team that will draw a decent gate and it means we don't have to squeeze into the East Stand only.
That's a good point. I remember when we played York in the Trophy a few years back. We actually had a really good chance of going on to win the cup that year. However, we had that home game and it was East Stand and South Upper only. Always feels like a friendly game when it's like that. Luckily, we went in hospitality that day. Games are never the same unless the West is open.

Can't see how that would happen.
After all, the home gates are averaging 6,000, even though on a couple of occasions the away following has been fewer than three figures.
Supposing it was Harborough, they would have a day out and bring a half-decent contingent to augment the home support.

My good friend is a Mansfield fan, we joke about playing each other all the time.
As we always tend to get a crappy draw and also history has a habit of repeating it self, it's bound to be Mansfield away. The last time, in 1969, was after we had scored 19 goals in the first two rounds against King's Lynn and Brentwood respectively. Hoping for a big club in the Third Round we got the impossible draw away to nearly invincible Swindon Town which, against all odds, we won 0-2. Our reward for all that was a bloody away tie to Mansfield, which we lost 2-1. At least, I rememeber that the beer was good at that time!

As we always tend to get a crappy draw and also history has a habit of repeating it self, it's bound to be Mansfield away. The last time, in 1969, was after we had scored 19 goals in the first two rounds against King's Lynn and Brentwood respectively. Hoping for a big club in the Third Round we got the impossible draw away to nearly invincible Swindon Town which, against all odds, we won 0-2. Our reward for all that was a bloody away tie to Mansfield, which we lost 2-1. At least, I rememeber that the beer was good at that time!
Oh gawd, that Mansfield tie had been banished to the back of my Shrimpers supporting memory, tears were shed at the final whistle by this 12 year old, we really deserved more! (As their own manager admits, see report below, another Billy Best goal for us!)

And Mansfield's reward, didn't they get West bloody Ham, another kick in the teeth (I see they did, & won 3-0!!) 😭

Last edited:
I am of the same mindset on this, Boredomwood away???

We do seem to get terrible draws in the fa cup.

Tbf apart from the Chelsea tie for which we joined the fa cup later because of being in the championship. I can't really remember any decent draws in the fa cup in the last 30 years.

We do seem to get terrible draws in the fa cup.

Tbf apart from the Chelsea tie for which we joined the fa cup later because of being in the championship. I can't really remember any decent draws in the fa cup in the last 30 years.
To be fair, as a league 2 club, we beat Championship Millwall 4-1 in the 3rd round during floodlight gate to progress into the 4th round. That was a decent tie, full house during the Millwall game and a great atmosphere. Apart from that, they've been terrible you're right.

For those who think we have terrible luck with F.A. Cup draws, our record this millennium is remarkably even, with 24 home ties against 22 away from home. We're just currently in an unlucky run.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back