• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News F.A Cup 1st Round draw. Southend United vs Charlton Athletic

That was the one & only time i've ever been there!. Maybe wrong, but i seem to recall when we were 2-1 down & near the end of the game, Gary Moore's shot or header hit the crossbar?.
And for them to get West Ham at home in the 5th rd really rubbed salt in the wound?. With the crowds we used to get back then, had we played West Ham at home, imo the crowd would have nudged 30,000.
I was there too.Nothing wrong with your memory-Gary Moore had a late header which hit the bar when we were 2-1 down as you say.Didn't know we could have played W,Ham in the next round,:Whistling:

I want two of the easiest home draws possible for the best chance of getting to round 3.

Then I want Spurs or Arsenal way so we get the very maximum amount of money. I want them to put out their u21 so we can somehow scape a draw. Then play their first team at RH to get even more money.

Then I would like to use some of that money to sign two or three players to get us out of the dreadful league.

I want two of the easiest home draws possible for the best chance of getting to round 3.

Then I want Spurs or Arsenal way so we get the very maximum amount of money. I want them to put out their u21 so we can somehow scape a draw. Then play their first team at RH to get even more money.

Then I would like to use some of that money to sign two or three players to get us out of the dreadful league.
No replays from Round 1 onwards

My wishlist was similar to yours, I had Kelly Brooke on mine as well. Don't think I'm asking a lot really.

I was there too.Nothing wrong with your memory-Gary Moore had a late header which hit the bar when we were 2-1 down as you say.Didn't know we could have played W,Ham in the next round,:Whistling:
West Ham , Bobby Moore , Geoff Hurst and Martin Peters and all on a cold wet afternoon at Roots Hall . King Billy Best and Gary Moore scoring goals for fun , a giant cup killing just waiting to happen .

That was the one & only time i've ever been there!. Maybe wrong, but i seem to recall when we were 2-1 down & near the end of the game, Gary Moore's shot or header hit the crossbar?.
And for them to get West Ham at home in the 5th rd really rubbed salt in the wound?. With the crowds we used to get back then, had we played West Ham at home, imo the crowd would have nudged 30,000.
My other visit to Mansfield was 1966 when our 0-2 loss just about sealed our first ever relegation—there was less than 30 of us on the only supporters’ coach.
We were weakened defensively in that FA Cup defeat—Terry Bradbury failed a late fitness test,Eddie Clayton was moved back to wing half and Johnny Baber came in.

If we had won back then we wouldn't have played West Ham. The balls for the draw were numbered alphabetically and so whoever would have been in the alphabetical list where Mansfield would have been would have got West Ham.

Scarborough. Away
That didn't go well last time, did it?
Oh, that was indeed most unforgettable. 😭 Drewe IIRC missed a sitter late in the 1st game, but then the draw gave us the exciting prospect of Chelsea in the next round. Happy days!!

The club organised a flight but I believe couldn’t fly from Southend to Leeds/Bradford because extra time wouldn’t have allowed take off at the latter. So it flew Stansted to the tin shed with a runway known as Teesside. Turns out Teesside is about as far away from Scarborough as Southend 🤪 so after a 2hr? coach journey through the albeit beautiful North York Moors we arrived for a pre match meal before an easy win & Chelsea in the next round.

Obviously we then played like a bunch of tw*ts, lost 1-0, took 2+ hours to get back to the tin shed where we then had to wait ages for the team to slope in. The flight back was taken in complete seething silence from the back of a freezing cold plane that had just been parked up for hours. To finish off a perfect day I think most of the coaches made it back to Southend before the flying crowd arrived. What fun!! 😭😭

Oh, that was indeed most unforgettable. 😭 Drewe IIRC missed a sitter late in the 1st game, but then the draw gave us the exciting prospect of Chelsea in the next round. Happy days!!

The club organised a flight but I believe couldn’t fly from Southend to Leeds/Bradford because extra time wouldn’t have allowed take off at the latter. So it flew Stansted to the tin shed with a runway known as Teesside. Turns out Teesside is about as far away from Scarborough as Southend 🤪 so after a 2hr? coach journey through the albeit beautiful North York Moors we arrived for a pre match meal before an easy win & Chelsea in the next round.

Obviously we then played like a bunch of tw*ts, lost 1-0, took 2+ hours to get back to the tin shed where we then had to wait ages for the team to slope in. The flight back was taken in complete seething silence from the back of a freezing cold plane that had just been parked up for hours. To finish off a perfect day I think most of the coaches made it back to Southend before the flying crowd arrived. What fun!! 😭😭
I think I was sat next to you on the plane :Smile:. I remember walking out of the ground and wishing I was back home, or anywhere apart from there. Think I finally got in at about 04:30 in the morning. It's one of only 2 times, I've been really ****ed off after a game. (the other one was Orient away, when they equalised after 9 mins of 5 mins injury time and Paul Terry should have been sent off for breaking Revell's leg)

Interested to see which 5 players people would nominate if it goes to pens in the 1st round or beyond?
I'm going bridge, gus, ralph, noor, walker. (Not in any order and assuming all are on the pitch). Feel these are the best strikers of the ball and likely to cope with pressure.

Interested to see which 5 players people would nominate if it goes to pens in the 1st round or beyond?
I'm going bridge, gus, ralph, noor, walker. (Not in any order and assuming all are on the pitch). Feel these are the best strikers of the ball and likely to cope with pressure.
Feel like Coker would take a good one too.

My other visit to Mansfield was 1966 when our 0-2 loss just about sealed our first ever relegation—there was less than 30 of us on the only supporters’ coach.
We were weakened defensively in that FA Cup defeat—Terry Bradbury failed a late fitness test,Eddie Clayton was moved back to wing half and Johnny Baber came in.
It was no surprise Bradbury failed a late fitness test, he had left us three years earlier.

Col U at home
Incorrect. I've discussed this with my son and we've agreed we need someone we can beat and then be drawn away against Col Ewe in the 2nd round. We go to their place and get a draw so we're in the hat for the 3rd round, where we're drawn away at someone like Liverpool. We then beat Col Ewe and show them what they could have won!

Talking of replays - I can't remember the year but it wasn't too long ago. Draw at home to Barnsley (including a hand ball in the lead up to their goal?) and then an evening replay up at their place.

Kevin Maher scored a rocket of a goal to put the above injustice right. [thumbs up]

Incorrect. I've discussed this with my son and we've agreed we need someone we can beat and then be drawn away against Col Ewe in the 2nd round. We go to their place and get a draw so we're in the hat for the 3rd round, where we're drawn away at someone like Liverpool. We then beat Col Ewe and show them what they could have won!
You are also incorrect. We wouldn't go away to Col U and get a draw, as the match would be decided on penalties. So there would be a result either way.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back