• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EU: In or out?

Are you in favour of Britain's membership of the EU?

• In.

Votes: 41 51.3%
  • Out.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Bart.No opion.It depends etc

Votes: 9 11.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
More debt for Greece that it will never repay. So yet again the EU has ignored the democratic will of a country's people. Does anyone really believe that David Cameron's going to get anything from his 'renegotiation'? The sooner this corrupt undemocratic organisation breaks up the better.

Not really, I'm sure if you factored in the "Democratic will" of the funding country's people, then it'd be more in line with the EU response. If everybody in the street in which I live voted for full council benefits, but reduced council tax , to be subsidised by other local areas, then the council would hardly be undemocratic by saying no. It's not a truly democratic vote, unless everybody affected is entitled to vote. In the EU case this would include most people within the Eurozone.

Not really, I'm sure if you factored in the "Democratic will" of the funding country's people, then it'd be more in line with the EU response. If everybody in the street in which I live voted for full council benefits, but reduced council tax , to be subsidised by other local areas, then the council would hardly be undemocratic by saying no. It's not a truly democratic vote, unless everybody affected is entitled to vote. In the EU case this would include most people within the Eurozone.

But that's not t though is it. It was a referendum held by a single sovereign nation for that countries people just as we will have that referendum before 2017. Like t or loath it the Greek people voted and that vote has now been ignored by the very government that gave them that vote.

The threat of a Greek referendum was political brinkmanship and bluff calling, no more no less, and the Greek government got theirs called, and lost.

The EU knew damn well that Greece couldn't financially and politically afford a Grexit and the Greek government knew full well that the EU would never let that Grexit happen anyway as that would have had far wider consequences for the future of the EU as a whole.

But that's not t though is it. It was a referendum held by a single sovereign nation for that countries people just as we will have that referendum before 2017. Like t or loath it the Greek people voted and that vote has now been ignored by the very government that gave them that vote.

The threat of a Greek referendum was political brinkmanship and bluff calling, no more no less, and the Greek government got theirs called, and lost.

The EU knew damn well that Greece couldn't financially and politically afford a Grexit and the Greek government knew full well that the EU would never let that Grexit happen anyway as that would have had far wider consequences for the future of the EU as a whole.

I rather thought the OP was referring to the EU as having ignored the democratic will of the country, rather than it's Government.

I do agree, though, that the Greek Government has ignored the vote. As you said. they bluffed that bit too far

Care to enthral us all exactly why a non euro country should contribute to another bailout that won't ever be repaid? Do tell.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-33532485

Looks like the UK might have to cough up some short-term financial support for Greece. after all. under the auspices of the EFSM.

Meanwhile, you might want to look up the meaning of the word "solidarity."

While the UK is not a member of the Euro, it is most certainly a member of the EU.

Is it possible that those who are less educated are more likely to feel the negative impact of the EU than those in better paid more skilled areas?
I know of at least 3 large household name employers close to where I live that more or less exclusively employ from Eastern Europe, for their unskilled positions.

Is it possible that those who are less educated are more likely to feel the negative impact of the EU than those in better paid more skilled areas?
I know of at least 3 large household name employers close to where I live that more or less exclusively employ from Eastern Europe, for their unskilled positions.

yeah I think that's fair. interesting that across all categories % good thing > % bad thing

versa

Not just in the work place but housing, schooling etc.

Talking to people who have recently left university and are struggling to pay London rents and fight for full time work, their views are not always typically left wing like old 70's Marxists. The prediction is that London's population will increase from 8m to 10m in the next twenty years so they realise that the EU would have to create millions of jobs just to keep pace with current levels of immigration.

The higher echelons at one of the big banks (HSBC I think) recently admitted that leaving the EU would be better for the country, but not for them as a business. If your a young worker the current EU system has completely failed you. As for me, well there is as a clue in my username. If we stay in the EU I will keep increasing my rents and watch the property values carry on growing.

versa

Not just in the work place but housing, schooling etc.

Talking to people who have recently left university and are struggling to pay London rents and fight for full time work, their views are not always typically left wing like old 70's Marxists. The prediction is that London's population will increase from 8m to 10m in the next twenty years so they realise that the EU would have to create millions of jobs just to keep pace with current levels of immigration.

The higher echelons at one of the big banks (HSBC I think) recently admitted that leaving the EU would be better for the country, but not for them as a business. If your a young worker the current EU system has completely failed you. As for me, well there is as a clue in my username. If we stay in the EU I will keep increasing my rents and watch the property values carry on growing.

Really? Be interested to read that. Most business and banking sector in particular are pro EU. That said I'm not sure HSBC are pro UK with their recent additional redundancies and promotion of tax evasion and avoidance.

If one of the foundation stones of the EU is free movement and trade why are the Frenchies allowed to force the UK to stack lorries etc in Kent because of their lack of action in Calais and how is it that French farmers can block roads where and when they want with impunity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back