• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Demetriou now employed as Chief Scout.

Getting an untrained scout into learn from John Still… Gubbins, Bonne, Wood, Wind, Waldron… Great scouting record so far… The results and full 90 minute performances are outstanding so far.

Conveniently forgetting the likes of Taylor, GSM, Cardwell, Noor, Miley…

Gubbins wasn’t a recommendation from Still, Kev knew him from his last spell. Kev was aware of Bonne too. Harsh to write off Wind so early on.

Wood hasn’t developed how they’d have liked but is a player in there and Waldron hasn’t hit the heights yet, but he has been missed.

Just seems a bit like jobs for the boys to me.

Why do we need another person helping with coaching, we have 3

As far as im aware hes not a qualified scout, or ever expressed interest in being so, john still was the head of the scouting network i thought.

I know im in the minority but i dont get the demi love in. To me he's one of the players that i can only associate with our biggest decline.

Just a bit weird imo.
Do you know him personally? Have you had this discussion with him?

Really confused by this ... Is Demi qualified? Or is this a bit of keeping your mates in work?

I'm currently a bit suspect that we have a few wage hunters in the squad and it's probably just me overthinking it so please don't take what I'm saying with any weight but the current squad doesn't seem like it has the same fight in it that it did last season.

Last we heard, demi was looking at coaching roles / playing roles, now he's a scout? 🤔 Anyone know the details ?
Some very odd comments on here.

He's been given the title of Chief Scout, but that's not all he'll be doing, and it seems he will be doing more opposition scouting and analysis as opposed to strictly scouting potential new signings.

We lost some seriously big voices and influences around the first team in Dave Martin and Jason Demetriou. Maher wanted the club to find a way to keep Demetriou around the place, and they've done it. If Maher feels it's beneficial to the club and the team, then I'll give him the benefit of the doubt. I think he'll be an asset.

Conveniently forgetting the likes of Taylor, GSM, Cardwell, Noor, Miley

Gubbins wasn’t a recommendation from Still, Kev knew him from his last spell. Kev was aware of Bonne too. Harsh to write off Wind so early on.

Wood hasn’t developed how they’d have liked but is a player in there and Waldron hasn’t hit the heights yet, but he has been missed.

Not that it is relevant at all, but apart from possibly Gus, none of those will compete in League 2 football.

Not that it is relevant at all, but apart from possibly Gus, none of those will compete in League 2 football.
I agree, these signings have reached their optimum level, mid table NL. GSM is difficult to evaluate because of his goals, but it may well be a purple patch that is unlikely to be sustained thus turning the spotlight on his defensive qualities which tend to be bypassed at present.

Just seems a bit like jobs for the boys to me.

Why do we need another person helping with coaching, we have 3

As far as im aware hes not a qualified scout, or ever expressed interest in being so, john still was the head of the scouting network i thought.

I know im in the minority but i dont get the demi love in. To me he's one of the players that i can only associate with our biggest decline.

Just a bit weird imo.
As you say - you're in the minority!!

Great, how about some investment on the pitch?
wiggy, give COSU a chance. The club is still operating at a massive loss. Hopefully with the ideas they have, that loss will be greatly reduced in the future. They have forked out on players, and have rewarded the loyal players from the last few seasons for all they went through, with better contracts. We are absolutely blessed to be where we are. Can we really ask them to keep dipping into their personnel wealth for better and more expensive players?

wiggy, give COSU a chance. The club is still operating at a massive loss. Hopefully with the ideas they have, that loss will be greatly reduced in the future. They have forked out on players, and have rewarded the loyal players from the last few seasons for all they went through, with better contracts. We are absolutely blessed to be where we are. Can we really ask them to keep dipping into their personnel wealth for better and more expensive players?
I'm still wondering where all these promotion winning players will come from even if COSU did spend the cash. The better players are with other clubs already (cheers Ron) so that's exactly the reason we've ended up with Moncur/Bonne etc.

As you say - you're in the minority!!
Yep, seems that way.

I do think sometimes people have blacked out in their minds just how abysmal the relegation seasons were, or all the times he gobbed off and got booked sent off and suspended, but everyones entitled to their opinions tho👍

Yep, seems that way.

I do think sometimes people have blacked out in their minds just how abysmal the relegation seasons were, or all the times he gobbed off and got booked sent off and suspended, but everyones entitled to their opinions tho👍

He was only sent off three times in his eight seasons at the club…

Yep, seems that way.

I associate his time with the club with our decline too. It isn't his fault though, and has no impact on his ability to perform his new role.

How come we finished higher than mid-table in the past two seasons then?
Quite obviously because they were highly motivated to show what they could do and there was the 'surprise' element for the opposition. Two or three years on players like Bridge have been sussed out by the opposition and rendered less effective. There was a reason they were operating in a league or leagues below. Now they seem to have gone as far as they can go. In view of the departure of a key defender under a cloud one must also question the thoroughness of the 'character assessment' element of the much vaunted recruitment ethos.

Back