• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Demetriou now employed as Chief Scout.

Quite obviously because they were highly motivated to show what they could do and there was the 'surprise' element for the opposition. Two or three years on players like Bridge have been sussed out by the opposition and rendered less effective. There was a reason they were operating in a league or leagues below. Now they seem to have gone as far as they can go. In view of the departure of a key defender under a cloud one must also question the thoroughness of the 'character assessment' element of the much vaunted recruitment ethos.
I'm not sure that is necessarily the case in the case of the departed central defender. Life is sometimes about taking a risk, and without revealing sources, I'm fairly confident that Kensdale's problem was always known about, albeit not to the depths to which it finally sunk. That being so, the Club were nurturing a defender who had talent and wasn't a problem on the pitch and the recruitment ethos was not broken.

I'm not sure that is necessarily the case in the case of the departed central defender. Life is sometimes about taking a risk, and without revealing sources, I'm fairly confident that Kensdale's problem was always known about, albeit not to the depths to which it finally sunk. That being so, the Club were nurturing a defender who had talent and wasn't a problem on the pitch and the recruitment ethos was not broken.
If it was indeed known about then the rules were excessively lenient, almost meaningless if it meant taking a chance on a serious question mark re suitability. If it was not known about then the Those words are banned was not very thorough.

If it was indeed known about then the rules were excessively lenient, almost meaningless if it meant taking a chance on a serious question mark re suitability. If it was not known about then the Those words are banned was not very thorough.
Surely that would depend on the degree of the risk when taken? However, you appear to have a closed mind to anything that doesn't fit your theory so I'll back out at this point.

Surely that would depend on the degree of the risk when taken? However, you appear to have a closed mind to anything that doesn't fit your theory so I'll back out at this point.
It would be good to have a conversation that didn't end with a personal jibe but that does not seem possible. I have an opinion just as you do but I didn't characterise yours in that way!

Quite obviously because they were highly motivated to show what they could do

So are you suggesting they cannot perform at those levels again? And if so, what is stopping them?

and there was the 'surprise' element for the opposition.

We, like most teams, are scouted regularly by opponents.

The idea that any of these players were surprise elements is fanciful at best, especially considering they were highly motivated and playing above themselves - I’m paraphrasing your own words there - as proven by our (sometimes) miraculous performances and league position

Two or three years on players like Bridge have been sussed out by the opposition and rendered less effective.

Or, the elements and circumstances which allowed Bridge to play at his very best have been lost, and in order to once again get that quality out of him we must rebuild or restructure the starting XI, which hasn’t happened yet, due to well documented reasons.

There was a reason they were operating in a league or leagues below. Now they seem to have gone as far as they can go.

Is the season over then? By my count, they have continued to improve our points haul year-on-year. That’s not an opinion, it’s just counting.

Whether that trajectory continues to rise or not, can only be definitively answered in 7-8 months time. Anything else is opinion.

In view of the departure of a key defender under a cloud one must also question the thoroughness of the 'character assessment' element of the much vaunted recruitment ethos.

How very prejudiced of you.

Tell me, what elements of a persons character should we focus on and ensure we stick clear of?

I don't have the keyboard skills that you so expertly exhibit but I will endeavour to answer your points in order.
Plainly, the siege mentality worked in our favour bringing the best out of a seriously under strength squad. However, this cannot be replicated year after year, especially when the overall situation has changed and the outlook seems brighter. It must have made a difference psychologically apart from contracts being renewed which must also have led to a relaxed attitude. Familiarity with the management team's methods and philosophy probably leads to a certain complacency as well. It is not possible to maintain the level of intensity without limit and some players may well be mentally exhausted after the efforts of the past two, three years. However, that is history and thus season is showing up weaknesses all round, both in playing staff and management.
As for Those words are banned re recruitment it has been stated in an earlier post that the problem was known about so it was ether a gamble (no pun intended) or not considered sufficiently serious. Either way, it raises questions about just how much credence we should give to previous claims of only signing paragons of virtue.

Oddly , those of a certain age would have said that about Kevin Mahers first few years at RH
Yes but over the course of time he was clearly a very good player with successess under his built.

Its a fair point tho, perhaps if those few seasons hadnt been so catastrophically run by ron demi would have had the chance to be succesful.

Conveniently forgetting the likes of Taylor, GSM, Cardwell, Noor, Miley…

Gubbins wasn’t a recommendation from Still, Kev knew him from his last spell. Kev was aware of Bonne too. Harsh to write off Wind so early on.

Wood hasn’t developed how they’d have liked but is a player in there and Waldron hasn’t hit the heights yet, but he has been missed.
Well put, but it almost makes you wonder why Kev didn't defer to JS's opinion on those yet to come good?

As for Those words are banned re recruitment it has been stated in an earlier post that the problem was known about so it was ether a gamble (no pun intended) or not considered sufficiently serious. Either way, it raises questions about just how much credence we should give to previous claims of only signing paragons of virtue.

I think there could be some leaps across chasms of insufficient information to come to the conclusion that the DD on a player was deficient.

The idea of DD is to minimise risk, it's almost impossible to eliminate.

Even if DD had highlighted that he liked a flutter, he wasn't fired for gambling. It could also be that gambling became a problem after he signed for us so no DD could find a problem that didn't exist at the time.

Ultimately I don't know enough information to come to any conclusion on the matter.

I think there could be some leaps across chasms of insufficient information to come to the conclusion that the DD on a player was deficient.

The idea of DD is to minimise risk, it's almost impossible to eliminate.

Even if DD had highlighted that he liked a flutter, he wasn't fired for gambling. It could also be that gambling became a problem after he signed for us so no DD could find a problem that didn't exist at the time.

Ultimately I don't know enough information to come to any conclusion on the matter.
So what is the point other than it makes good PR?

Back