• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricket World Cup (50 Overs)

I thought Woakes would be first in line seamer. Though neither he nor Plunkett will strike fear into the other sides.

I'd forgotten Woakes TBH, but in India I doubt either will cause too many problems.

I saw that Ponting was saying the convicts haven't been challenged yet, I hope if England do play them we ram those comments down the piggy eyed pillocks throat.

I'd forgotten Woakes TBH, but in India I doubt either will cause too many problems.

I saw that Ponting was saying the convicts haven't been challenged yet, I hope if England do play them we ram those comments down the piggy eyed pillocks throat.

To be fair to Ponting (and I feel physically sick at having to write such words) - they haven't. They're in the weaker group and their game against the best team in their group, Sri Lanka, was rained out, and they're still to play the second best team in their group, Pakistan. NZ, who I think currently top that group, were recently whitewashed by Bangladesh, who probably aren't going to qualify from the other group. Whilst Canada haven't been as bad as expected, Zimbabwe and Kenya in particular have really disappointed despite the low expectations in the first place.

Eh - Jade Dernbach? :stunned::unsure::omg: Didn't see that one coming.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him recently, but he's always given me the impression that he's a proper pie-chucker. He does take wickets, but is invariably expensive. When Miller talks of variation, I think he's talking of the difference between full tosses and long hops. Happy to be proved wrong but the main thing he's got going for him would seem to be that he's another Saffer.

Last season in List A - 12 wickets at 45.91, at an economy-rate of 7.25.

Admittedly I haven't seen much of him recently, but he's always given me the impression that he's a proper pie-chucker. He does take wickets, but is invariably expensive. When Miller talks of variation, I think he's talking of the difference between full tosses and long hops. Happy to be proved wrong but the main thing he's got going for him would seem to be that he's another Saffer.

I am stunned and very disappointed. Very average and expensive whenever I have seen him.....looked a long way off international class and can't see how him making his international debut in a knockout game is going to be more useful then Woakes or Plunkett or a number of others.

Just seen this, is Stats an England selector? :unsure:

Or at least Stat's hero Chris Lewis.....

Do matches for HMP High Down XI class as "List A" these days...?

:winking:

Dernbach?! Presumably, he's been picked on the basis that the Ockers (our likely opponents) won't have seen him play, and therefore he may get a wicket because he's an unknown quantity. Why on earth not pick Rashid? As others have said, the leggies have been thriving this WC...

Weird.

Ah the good old days of Surrey players dominating the England side are starting to come back :smile:

On a serious note I'm pleased that Dernbach has got the call but am surprised that they have opted for him over Woakes and Plunkett who were both out in Oz. Subsequently Rashid should of gone, no track out there favours seam so why not play 3 spinners.

Dernbach is coming with some form though so that may have swayed the decision. He's a skiddy kind of bowler who has really made some big strides forwards in the past couple of years. Doubt he'll play a game but it will be good experience.

And with regards to Chris Lewis, I wont have anyone slander his good name. :smile:

Here's a nice picture of England's finest ever all rounder for your viewing pleasure.

1BDBC00D-CE03-4B44-F110F169B32F4EFB.jpg

Hurray, we've made it into the last 8 as the Saffers crush Bangla. :bluebelles:

Bangla all out for 78.........what an odd world cup!

The only really interesting games have been in England's group, although the Aussies v Pakistan could be interesting. I think I'm right in saying if the positions remain the same England will play Sri Lanka in Colombo next Saturday.

Don't know if anyone was watching the Australia Pakistan game, but full marks to the camera man for the close ups of Australia's batting coach and midget **** Justin Langer as their batting collapsed. Jees I can't stand that little man.

Don't know if anyone was watching the Australia Pakistan game, but full marks to the camera man for the close ups of Australia's batting coach and midget **** Justin Langer as their batting collapsed. Jees I can't stand that little man.

Reminds me of Alex Ferguson ******* a sackful of lemons, love it.
This could be the best match of the group to date as the convicts are struggling and have taken the final batting power play at the last possible moment.

I remember an Essex Sunday League game at The Oval yonks ago, chasing about 270 we needed 16 off the final over, to be bowled by Chris Lewis .. we won with 3 balls to spare

'Nuff said :hilarious:

I see Yardy has gone home as he is feeling sad.

Interesting how the ICC view 'stress related illness' as if it was a standard physical injury we could be able to call in a replacement (Or are we not allowed to after knock out stage*) and finally get Rashid in, but would they view stress in the same way?

I do wish Yardy well.....he seems like an honest pro and it was not his fault an absence of a decent alternative (or a non rotund one) meant his limited skills were called upon. Hopefully he can still carry on his career at Sussex.

Anyone hear Boycott on 5 live talking about it this morning?! That man makes great listening.......when asked about his thoughts he rattled off how he finds it hard to know what Yardy must be going through as he was a better player (to be fair he was) and he never had to worry that he was not worth a place in the side, before ratttling off Yardy's faults. I think it's safe to say Sir Geoffrey would be in the 'just get on with it camp'.

Cricket does seem peculiarly 'stressful' for an individual though. I have read a lot of cricket biographies autobiographies (Ive barely read a football one) and they all seem to verge on the neurotic at best. Essentially an individual game within a team, if in tennis you play crap you are only letting yourself down, but indivudual poor performances are categorically laid out in your match figures and you are really not just letting yourself down but your teammates as well.....many of whom you are effectively living with for months at a time, coupled with being away from your family.

With the increase in all sorts of matches, I suspect this kind of thing will only increase unless people retire from some forms of the games.

*EDIT - Cricinfo seem to think we can call up a replacement

Last edited:

Interesting how the ICC view 'stress related illness' as if it was a standard physical injury we could be able to call in a replacement (Or are we not allowed to after knock out stage*) and finally get Rashid in, but would they view stress in the same way?

I do wish Yardy well.....he seems like an honest pro and it was not his fault an absence of a decent alternative (or a non rotund one) meant his limited skills were called upon. Hopefully he can still carry on his career at Sussex.

Anyone hear Boycott on 5 live talking about it this morning?! That man makes great listening.......when asked about his thoughts he rattled off how he finds it hard to know what Yardy must be going through as he was a better player (to be fair he was) and he never had to worry that he was not worth a place in the side, before ratttling off Yardy's faults. I think it's safe to say Sir Geoffrey would be in the 'just get on with it camp'.

Cricket does seem peculiarly 'stressful' for an individual though. I have read a lot of cricket biographies autobiographies (Ive barely read a football one) and they all seem to verge on the neurotic at best. Essentially an individual game within a team, if in tennis you play crap you are only letting yourself down, but indivudual poor performances are categorically laid out in your match figures and you are really not just letting yourself down but your teammates as well.....many of whom you are effectively living with for months at a time, coupled with being away from your family.

With the increase in all sorts of matches, I suspect this kind of thing will only increase unless people retire from some forms of the games.

Trescothick's autobiography, although mainly a bit dull, is quite enlightening as to what a cricketer goes through on lengthy tours.

IIRC, there was a fantastic article in one of the Observer Sport Monthly magazines sometime last year (or the year before?) that detailed the psychological strains of sports. It paid testament to how although cricket is a team game, it's very individualistic in its nature.

Well think about it - in Cricket, you spend weeks and/or months away from home in a country that, more often than not, is worse than your home country (in fact, near as I can tell, the only test sides that are close to England in terms of culture, living conditions and so on are South Africa (maybe), Australia, and New Zealand). That's going to take it out of you, particularly if, as I believe is the case with Yardy, you're a young, inexperienced player who's probably on his first tour with the A-squad, which involves meeting new players, probably for the first time in anything other than a "Hi, bye" sense. That's going to be stressful for anyone.

Big test for the ICC over how they handle this. I think they'll be wanting England knocked out so they don't have to give an answer.

Not sure the replacement would necessarily be Rashid. England seem to have their doubts over him and young Danny Briggs of Hampshire has been outbowling him in the WIndies for the Lions (which was the criteria they picked Dernbach on). England might even go for another batsman or another seamer.

I heard that Boycs interview and he was, how can we put it, struggling to empathise with the situation Yardy was in, but I'm not sure he was suggesting that Yardy needed to pull his head together, I think he was just struggling to understand the trials and tribulations of mere mortals.

Cricket is incredibly mentally demanding. Test match cricket is above all a test of character where you get to see what people are made of. Now this is one of it's fascinations for me - but it's got to take it's toll. In an individual sport like tennis if you have a bad run of form you get knocked out in the early stages and your struggles are only briefly revealed in public. In a team sport you can get carried by your team and you are all in it together, so even if you lose the blame is spread around but in cricket individual contributions are there for all to see in the runs and wickets columns. If you're not scoring runs or taking wickets everyone knows it, yet you are still left to fend for yourself in a one on one contest. You're not just letting yourself down, you're letting your team-mates (and your country down). That's pressure and people are bound to crack from time to time.

Back