• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricket World Cup (50 Overs)

Well think about it - in Cricket, you spend weeks and/or months away from home in a country that, more often than not, is worse than your home country (in fact, near as I can tell, the only test sides that are close to England in terms of culture, living conditions and so on are South Africa (maybe), Australia, and New Zealand). That's going to take it out of you, particularly if, as I believe is the case with Yardy, you're a young, inexperienced player who's probably on his first tour with the A-squad, which involves meeting new players, probably for the first time in anything other than a "Hi, bye" sense. That's going to be stressful for anyone.

Yardy's toured before (he helped win the 20:20 World Cup in the West Indies for starters), but the sub-continent is a tough place to tour. Players live in a cocoon and it must be a novel experience for him to be an instantly recognisable star out there when he's largely anonymous even around Hove.

On a slightly pedantic note, I should also point out that England's culture can't be similar to Australia's, on account of the fact that Australia doesn't have any culture.

Other than bacterial culture.

Well think about it - in Cricket, you spend weeks and/or months away from home in a country that, more often than not, is worse than your home country (in fact, near as I can tell, the only test sides that are close to England in terms of culture, living conditions and so on are South Africa (maybe), Australia, and New Zealand). That's going to take it out of you, particularly if, as I believe is the case with Yardy, you're a young, inexperienced player who's probably on his first tour with the A-squad, which involves meeting new players, probably for the first time in anything other than a "Hi, bye" sense. That's going to be stressful for anyone.

Some of our players have been away for about 4 months now, ridiculous.

Big test for the ICC over how they handle this. I think they'll be wanting England knocked out so they don't have to give an answer.

Not sure the replacement would necessarily be Rashid. England seem to have their doubts over him and young Danny Briggs of Hampshire has been outbowling him in the WIndies for the Lions (which was the criteria they picked Dernbach on). England might even go for another batsman or another seamer.

I heard that Boycs interview and he was, how can we put it, struggling to empathise with the situation Yardy was in, but I'm not sure he was suggesting that Yardy needed to pull his head together, I think he was just struggling to understand the trials and tribulations of mere mortals.

Cricket is incredibly mentally demanding. Test match cricket is above all a test of character where you get to see what people are made of. Now this is one of it's fascinations for me - but it's got to take it's toll. In an individual sport like tennis if you have a bad run of form you get knocked out in the early stages and your struggles are only briefly revealed in public. In a team sport you can get carried by your team and you are all in it together, so even if you lose the blame is spread around but in cricket individual contributions are there for all to see in the runs and wickets columns. If you're not scoring runs or taking wickets everyone knows it, yet you are still left to fend for yourself in a one on one contest. You're not just letting yourself down, you're letting your team-mates (and your country down). That's pressure and people are bound to crack from time to time.

Boycott is poacher turned gamekeeper as ever. He seems to have forgotten his whining to the media when he was sacked as Yorkshire captain just after his mother had died. I also never forgave Boycott for walking away from the England side for 3 years citing how he wanted to help strengthen Yorkshire cricket, fat lot of good that did as they remained in the doldrums for another 20 years after Boycs had got the boot. Many suggested that he didn't fancy playing against the WIndies although I never really bought into that particularly after seeing the working over that Holding gave him on the 80/81 tour, Holding bowled what many consider to be the greatest over ever in test cricket finally getting Boycott with the last ball of the over. I admired Boycott's mental strength to come back to the England side after his long absence and score his 100th 100 in a test match at Headingly against the convicts.

My sympathies lie with Yardy, having had my own problems with this illness, I don't think his absence will be a huge loss to the side, and as YB says I think the ICC will want to see England knocked out so they don't have to make a decision. But IMO England should be able to nominate a replacement, as he could quite easily have a discernable illness such as malaria, as a for instance.

It may seem a peculiar thing but cricket I believe has the highest suicide rate of ex players than any other sport, recent players who've killed themselves have been David Bairstow & Mark Saxelby.

Some of our players have been away for about 4 months now, ridiculous.

As recently as 1962/63 it could be upwards of 6 months. Back then the team would be selectedjust before the end of the season and would then embark on a sea voyage to convict land via a couple of games in Colombo. They'd arrive in Fremantle and then play all the state sides culminating in Brisbane against Queensland, this was before Prth was a test match ground, and then back down again, they'd play the state sides again, and perhaps a convict select XI in Canberra, two tests would be at Sydney one at Melbourne and the Australia Day game in Adelaide. Afterwards they'd fly to New Zealand and play a series of 3 matches against the Kiwis, before finally flying home in time for the start of the new season.

Boycott is poacher turned gamekeeper as ever. He seems to have forgotten his whining to the media when he was sacked as Yorkshire captain just after his mother had died. I also never forgave Boycott for walking away from the England side for 3 years citing how he wanted to help strengthen Yorkshire cricket, fat lot of good that did as they remained in the doldrums for another 20 years after Boycs had got the boot. Many suggested that he didn't fancy playing against the WIndies although I never really bought into that particularly after seeing the working over that Holding gave him on the 80/81 tour, Holding bowled what many consider to be the greatest over ever in test cricket finally getting Boycott with the last ball of the over. I admired Boycott's mental strength to come back to the England side after his long absence and score his 100th 100 in a test match at Headingly against the convicts.

My sympathies lie with Yardy, having had my own problems with this illness, I don't think his absence will be a huge loss to the side, and as YB says I think the ICC will want to see England knocked out so they don't have to make a decision. But IMO England should be able to nominate a replacement, as he could quite easily have a discernable illness such as malaria, as a for instance.

It may seem a peculiar thing but cricket I believe has the highest suicide rate of ex players than any other sport, recent players who've killed themselves have been David Bairstow & Mark Saxelby.

Sir Geoffrey certainly hasn't forgotten about being sacked after his mother had died and before she was in the ground as he mentioned it today. Not sure what it had to do with Michael Yardy mind.

Didn't know about Saxelby:sad:

As recently as 1962/63 it could be upwards of 6 months. Back then the team would be selectedjust before the end of the season and would then embark on a sea voyage to convict land via a couple of games in Colombo. They'd arrive in Fremantle and then play all the state sides culminating in Brisbane against Queensland, this was before Prth was a test match ground, and then back down again, they'd play the state sides again, and perhaps a convict select XI in Canberra, two tests would be at Sydney one at Melbourne and the Australia Day game in Adelaide. Afterwards they'd fly to New Zealand and play a series of 3 matches against the Kiwis, before finally flying home in time for the start of the new season.

Blimey, why go by boat and then fly home though?

Blimey, why go by boat and then fly home though?

I think it may have been something to do with an early idea at fostering team spirit. There's the story of the timelss test in Durban in 1938/39 (I think) where England were 654/5 chasing 696 to win and they had to declare a draw as their ship was leaving Durban that afternoon.

As far as air travel goes there were many stopovers for refuelling etc, apart from which in those days it was the MCC and not England and it was probably cheaper to go by ship than air. Although of course if replacements were needed they'd fly out.

They were away so long, that the Wright brothers had time to invent a flying machine.

:hilarious:

I've got a hunch that Pakistan are going to get on a roll and reach the final.

It pays to have friends in betting syndicates. I fancy them to roll over whoever wins today; Afridi is in danger of going down as the next Imran Khan. You've got to hand it to them, their unpredictability is matched only by ours. I'd love to see us play them in the final.

It pays to have friends in betting syndicates. I fancy them to roll over whoever wins today; Afridi is in danger of going down as the next Imran Khan. You've got to hand it to them, their unpredictability is matched only by ours. I'd love to see us play them in the final.

The rematch of 1992. One the form side, the other unpredictable and making the knockouts by the skin of their teeth.

Incidentally, not seen it posted elsewhere, but apparently we've replaced Yardy with Rashid now.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/cricket/cricket-world-cup/8403869/Cricket-World-Cup-2011-England-call-up-Adil-Rashid-after-Michael-Yardys-shock-withdrawal.html

I just dont get the fuss with Rashid, average county player and not England pedigree whatsoever

What is England pedigree though? Is Tredwell? Is Yardy? Is Dalrymple? Is Batty? All spinners we have used recently, and if that is the yardstick for England pedigree than Rashid is no worse than them.

What is England pedigree though? Is Tredwell? Is Yardy? Is Dalrymple? Is Batty? All spinners we have used recently, and if that is the yardstick for England pedigree than Rashid is no worse than them.

Yeah valid point there Mark (sadly) .. i think we've been somewhat spoiled over recent times with Ashley Giles and Graeme Swann and these match winning spinners don't shuffle up all that often (just look at the Aussies trying to replace Warne !!!)

I just dont get the fuss with Rashid, average county player and not England pedigree whatsoever

If you aren't going to get excited about someone who was the 2nd highest wicket-taker in first class cricket as a 20 year old (and 5th highest English qualified wicket-taker last year to show that wasn't a fluke), when are you going to get excited about a prospect?

Moreover, he hasn't just taken lots of wickets, he actually projects as a potential international bowler as he turns the ball both ways - the only spinners who have enjoyed sustained success at international level since covered pitches were introduced have, without exception, either been leg-spinners or have developed a doosra.

English leg-spinners are a rare commodity.

Young English leg-spinners are rarer still.

Youg English leg-spinners who top the first class wicket-takers charts are even rarer.

Young English leg-spinners who top the first class wicket-takers charts whilst playing their cricket in the first division are rarer yet.

Young English leg-spinners who top the first class wicket-takers charts, whilst playing first division cricket and can bat are as rare as the way all steaks should be cooked. And when I say cooked, I mean allowed to be rapidly passed over a candle.

Rashid averages more with the bat than he does with the ball. He's been a big factor with both bat and ball for Yorkshire when they've been challenging for the first division title. This winter he won the Australia Big Bash 20:20 competition with South Australia, was the third leading wicket-taker in the competition (the two who beat him, did so by a single wicket and took their wickets more expensively).

He might not be there yet, but he's easily our best spin bowling prospect in a couple of decades (which admittedly is a particularly hollow Gareth Batty almost shaped boast) and has the most impressive county CV of a young all-rounder (although keep an eye out for Woakes next season) since I'd guess Botham. That doesn't mean he's going to reproduce those stats and performances at international level, but he's got easily the highest ceiling and even if he doesn't reach that ceiling, I'd suggest that he's a more likely to positively influence an ODI than Michael Yardy.

And it's not like we can even use our production line in South Africa as they've had enough trouble getting one themselves!

Kiwi's need to get Steyn out first as he can be dangerous. Hopefully they do though and Saffers choke once more....they were cruising this game.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back