• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future COSU, Communications & Future

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion

Do you think it reasonable that COSU give us an update on progress.

• Yes

Votes: 168 59.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 11.3%
  • Not bothered either way.

Votes: 82 29.1%

• Total voters
I just dont understand why people need a statement from them saying "We're working in the background"
This is common knowledge? All owners of any and every business work in the background? I completely understand given our previous owner and to some extent I guess I agree that it would be nice to have updates but there is nothing to update at this moment, Kevin is saying as much as he can without giving too much away which is perfectly normal for a football club

Not sure why some of you are getting offended by others asking for an update from COSU.

Just let us know what you’ve been doing, what is going to be attacked on the snagging list first (soap, hot water,bar/catering etc) get us all hot and sweaty about plans for fanzone and later down the line, RH improvements etc.

Is it really that unreasonable?

Not sure why some of you are getting offended by others asking for an update from COSU.

Just let us know what you’ve been doing, what is going to be attacked on the snagging list first (soap, hot water,bar/catering etc) get us all hot and sweaty about plans for fanzone and later down the line, RH improvements etc.

No one is offended. I guess we will see if and when COSU find it appropriate to release an update about whatever has/will be happening.

I agree with a lot of what you are saying, but they will never come out and say about the budget, and why should they.

The budget is something very much kept in house, the only people that know the budget are the ones that need to know. Same with player wages.

I can find out loads of stuff from my people, some inside the club, some outside, but I’ll never find out how much X is on from them, or how much of our budget is left. I’ve been told there is room in the budget to bring in people, but that doesn’t tell me if that is 1/2, 3/4, one superstar, 8 decent lower league players, 27484 loanees or whatever.

As I say, I agree COSU should put something out there, and what you’ve put ticks a lot of the boxes, but we won’t hear about budgets.

As for point two, I’ve had no drink issues, are there any? Im loving having cruzcampo on tap. Or do you mean in terms of getting drinks at half time?

Aye, the budget point is more aimed at tempering expectations. For example, already people are complaining we haven’t signed the likes of McCallum. You and I know why that is, whilst many don’t.

It’s not uncommon for football clubs to proclaim (sometimes untruthfully) that the budget is in the top 3 or middle of the pack, for example. Don’t need to know the ins and outs, just something to connect with some fans reality.

As for drinks, yeah the selection is better, but purchasing one is still hard work unless you get in early doors. I wouldn’t even consider attempting one at HT these days. I’m sure COSU will address this during the redevelopment, as they won’t want to be losing out on income.

Aye, the budget point is more aimed at tempering expectations. For example, already people are complaining we haven’t signed the likes of McCallum. You and I know why that is, whilst many don’t.

It’s not uncommon for football clubs to proclaim (sometimes untruthfully) that the budget is in the top 3 or middle of the pack, for example. Don’t need to know the ins and outs, just something to connect with some fans reality.

As for drinks, yeah the selection is better, but purchasing one is still hard work unless you get in early doors. I wouldn’t even consider attempting one at HT these days. I’m sure COSU will address this during the redevelopment, as they won’t want to be losing out on income.

Unfortunately, any major works and changing lay outs will always happen in the off season. How things are now is how they will be for the season I imagine.

Another member of staff working in the groundsman under the east would be a bonus 🤞

Is there not a Q&A coming up? Including Tom?
Perfect forum based on questions asked- they can issue pre-prepared statements but will never tell people what they want to know it seems.
If really interested make the most of the Q&A ?

In COSU we trust, right? Honestly most of the time when statements are necessary are we there is uncertainty and baring a calamitous week or so we're the most certain we've been in a long time. This isn't a quick process, things take time, and we'll see changes as they happen. Some things are as small as a better selection of beer on tap... We've just got to be patient.

Unfortunately, any major works and changing lay outs will always happen in the off season. How things are now is how they will be for the season I imagine.

For certain.

We’ve probably both heard the same regarding this, that the back of the west will be knocked down and extended out to build a new thoroughfare for bar/food outlets (if we ever apply for the licence).

Would be nice to hear it officially though. That way we know we only have to put up with the current layout for X amount of months. Again, tempering expectations 😜

Another member of staff working in the groundsman under the east would be a bonus 🤞

Haven’t been in there since we played Swansea back in 2004 when a certain Freddy Eastwood made his debut.

Can’t imagine it’s changed much!

Precisely.

I dont think it even needs to be long or detailed, it could just be touching base, maybe hinting at a few short term plans, a thanks for the superb support, stick with us we are all in it together type of deal. 🤷🏼‍♂️. They could use it as sort of regular advertising too of new things.

After rms abysmal last few years people just want to feel more connected and a part of the future, i dont need know the budget etc.

Cosu's whole spiel was based on the fact that they are merely custodians and we are all part of it.

Last edited:
I am feeling disgusted at the moment, why do people say they support the club and then write hundreds of posts criticising the new owners after only a few weeks have passed, playing five games and only losing one. A little while ago thousands of posts saying how great the new owners are and once Ron Martin goes everything will be fine. One train breakdown and they are having a go at the management for going by train on the day, not being transparent and letting then know everything. Complaining about the lack of toilet paper in the loos after wanting to stay at the old and run-down Roots Hall. I don't care about transparency if they get the football side sorted and ground fit to a reasonable standard that is all I want. If you can't take a few minor hiccups in such a small space of time go somewhere else and support West Ham, Colchester or whoever.
Literally the post after I posted! This is exactly what I’m on about.

Frankly disgusting telling fans to support West Ham, Colchester or whoever because you have a criticism about small easy changes.

People are entitled to be annoyed about little things! People are entitled to be disappointed at the lack of communication. You don’t have to agree with it but suggest they go and support another club is just pathetic.

If we had won every single game of the season so far, I’d still be annoyed and bringing up the fact there is no soap/hot water/ toilet paper etc. If this stuff isn’t brought to the attention of COSU or support staff (they read this site) then how are they supposed to know? Then we just go back to accepting inadequate facilities. Yes we are financially in a better place because aren’t playing HMRC away every other week. But that doesn’t mean we can’t express our views on the matchday experience, how to improve things and ask for some communication. It’s all we all did prior to getting rid of Ron, it’s what everyone said to Stan! Transparency and communication was key.

From sustainability point of view isn't it better for COSU to do interview through Southend united media channels to give the fanbase insight into the club present and future plans just to keep the fans onside and be able to give them some understanding into the club ongoing situation, expecially those who been slightly critical like myself. I'm sure they don't want sudden dip in attendances which will cause financial pain going forward, not great look interms of sustainability plan if fans start turning away from roots hall considering we are in league which generates virtually no income apart from the fans who turn up at Roots Hall and potential player sale if decent offer comes forward. I do acknowledge COSU have walked into mess with Southend united which needs bit of work done to make the wrongs right. Interesting times ahead I guess.

I think it's reasonable to expect an update from COSU but, as Jack Nicholson said, "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth". By that I mean COSU don't have unlimited funds and their plans for how they will spend them will not please everyone i.e. the playing budget isn't going to be prioritised above all else.
Possibly those who disagree with COSU's plans may ultimately be proved correct but, two months into their ownership, COSU aren't going to change direction and its going to be a case of 'like it or lump it' for now.

It is reasonable for COSU to put a statement out saying, 'We sold Cardwell because release clause was triggered. We support Kev, Mark and Darren, and all agree we will only sign the right players.' Add some intent to the clubs direction, give the new signings and squad their support, and give the 8,000+ people who attend a reason to be hopeful for the future... Training ground, stadium plans, sustainable finances...

Instead we've got rumours on social media about embargos, budgets, Kensdale...

The sooner they put rumours to bed, the better.

It is reasonable for COSU to put a statement out saying, 'We sold Cardwell because release clause was triggered. We support Kev, Mark and Darren, and all agree we will only sign the right players.' Add some intent to the clubs direction, give the new signings and squad their support, and give the 8,000+ people who attend a reason to be hopeful for the future... Training ground, stadium plans, sustainable finances...

Instead we've got rumours on social media about embargos, budgets, Kensdale...

The sooner they put rumours to bed, the better.
Exactly this. It’s not unreasonable at all to call for something along these lines.

Come on Phil, you know it’s not like that.
Why does it feel like it then?
COSU ploughed nearly 3m into the club before they even owned it. There are things that need sorting in the background to keep the club going before the on the field stuff can really move forward.
People just need to be patient. COSU will give updates when appropriate, we need to trust them

Why does it feel like it then?
COSU ploughed nearly 3m into the club before they even owned it. There are things that need sorting in the background to keep the club going before the on the field stuff can really move forward.
People just need to be patient. COSU will give updates when appropriate, we need to trust them
Trusting club owners at SUFC. Historically not a great idea !
But my stance has shifted from a week or so ago, think we are expecting a bit too much to begin with. Let them get their feet under the table.

I would expect an update from COSU in the next few months. But they've barely got their feet under the table after the chaos we had under Ron Martin. Give it time...

I understand the frustration at the lack of communication but the last thing I want to see from the new owners is a bull**** powerpoint slide that promises everything but delivers nothing.

Simple statement would suffice…..if this was Ron in charge with negatives galore we would be calling him out.
Rubbish League, 7000 crowds, surely a word from them on the plans?

Back