• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cort Joins Hull !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 07 2004,22:23)]He used this football club
What a load of cr*p.

If you look at it that way, then the football club also used him... but that's just looking at things from a very warped perspective.

I'm glad his gone... after his last comments, I was concerned that - if he stayed - his heart wouldn't be in it.

All in all, I'm pleased for him. He didn't lie to us... he served the club well... and we didn't progress enough for him to stay.

Good luck, Leon Cort.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 07 2004,19:25)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ June 07 2004,17:16)]I think FM originally meant why do we wait so long before addressing the issue of contracts and when a new one should be offered.
I think Cort's mind was pretty much made up even before the contract offer was made by Southend United. When we spoke to him last summer he suggested that the forthcoming season (i.e. last season) might be his last with the club. The chap wants to progress and good on him; no malice from these quarters. I just don't think it's the disaster some seem to think it is ...

WS
Totally agree!

I wish him the best of luck but at the end of the day he has been honest and he just wants to do the best he can in the profession he is in! But like Mike says I don't think its a major disaster and I'm sure Tilly has been planning for this for a few weeks now..

I am talking about last year more than anything, i dont blame the lad for going to Hull but the way he only signed one year deals when he was offered more.

I dont hold any grudges to Cort, none at all however why not sign a two year deal last year. and if his good enough someone will come in for him regardless. Now the club are left without a fee and a man down.

I wish him the very best of luck but i just don't like the situation.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 08 2004,09:23)]however why not sign a two year deal last year
Perhaps the club didn't offer him a 2-year deal, Luke... had that possibility crossed your mind?

As everyone else (apart from you) has said, no grudges being borne here. He did not use this club. We got excellent service and value out of Cort.

I agree with the feeling that Jay Smith still owes the fans - because he's spent a lot of time on the treatment table recently; had he walked out on us after that, it would have hurt.

Cort, however, has been completely honest in his time at Southend. He always did an honest day's work on the pitch - almost an ever-present, rarely booked, committed. And he was honest when he left saying - "Hull have made me an offer I can't refuse".

Good luck to him. He may start off by warming the bench, but with his committed, hard-working and professional approach, there's a Div 1 career for him yet.

Matt

Cort was defintely offered a two year deal last season but declined and opted for a one year deal. We should have seen what was coming then.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (TerryintheWest @ June 08 2004,10:55)]Cort was defintely offered a two year deal last season but declined and opted for a one year deal. We should have seen what was coming then.
Fair enough, Terry.

It's still not disloyalty in my book. At the end of the day, Cort decided that his longer term ambitions lay beyond Southend - and no one can blame him for that.

Despite all of us fervently believing that Southend is the greatest club on earth, there's no escaping the fact that, at the moment, we're still languishing in Division 3... not exactly a footballing equivalent of nirvana...

rock.gif
sad.gif

Matt

Yes but i thought that part of corts deal last season was that if we did well this year and get promoted(which we didnt) the contract would increase too two years.???

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ASHRIMPER @ June 08 2004,11:00)]Yes but i thought that part of corts deal last season was that if we did well this year and get promoted(which we didnt) the contract would increase too two years.???
Well, if that wasn't a statement of positive intent by Cort, I don't know what is. He was saying:

"I want to play in Div 2 in 2004-05. I hope that's with Southend. If the Shrimpers go up, I'll stay; if they don't, I'll leave."

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 07 2004,21:20)]Its more about making sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again to any other of our best players.

Cort is gone, and i agree we couldn't do a lot if anything to keep him.
You've just contradicted yourself again, FM. "Making sure this sort of thing doesn't happen again" to "we could't do a lot to keep him"!

I don't think we can do anything to prevent Cort or any of our so-called "best players" to join another club that they would consider as a natural progression in their careers, apart from throw those players a sh*t-load of cash but, as we had warned for weeks now, the club is not in a position to do such a thing ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 07 2004,21:23)][Cort] used this football club. He knew that the club would lose out. He was always going to leave on a Bosman hince the one year deal he could have at least showed the club a bit of gratitude like Jay Smith.
WHAT?!?!

Now I know that you must be doing this to wind us all up! Use the football club?! You have got to be joking ... or seriously deranged ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 08 2004,12:35)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 07 2004,21:23)][Cort] used this football club. He knew that the club would lose out. He was always going to leave on a Bosman hince the one year deal he could have at least showed the club a bit of gratitude like Jay Smith.
WHAT?!?!

Now I know that you must be doing this to wind us all up! Use the football club?! You have got to be joking ... or seriously deranged ...

WS
All im saying is he knew he would leave for nothing and considering the club gave him his first team break he could have helped with regards gettin a fee.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Benfleetshrimp @ June 07 2004,17:23)]Why feel the need to pick holes in Corts game. Attacking you say his heading is really bad!!!
Erm Boston game last season anyone?
Just wind your neck in and get on with it. He has gone and good luck to the fella. I wouldnt be so sure that we will get a better centre half though.
Christ, you don't honestly believe that his heading is good do you??!

Boston were at sixes and sevens in defence that day and I would have fancied myself to score each of those headers. This season, I just never felt we offered anything in attack as we were almost always aiming for Leon. Please review how many good headers attacking the goal you have seen from Leon.

I'm not criticising him cos he has left us. I'm criticising him cos he was bad in the air up front. Defensively in the air he was superb although he always seemed quite panicky to me and never properly established an understanding with Flahavan. Whilst some would blame Flahavan, Flavs always seemed more comfortable (after getting used to them) with Hunt and Warren who hadn't been playing with him nearly as long.

Cort is not one of the best defenders in the league, whatever blue blinkers you wear. Constantine's a different matter (for a different thread as well!)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 08 2004,12:43)]All im saying is he knew he would leave for nothing and considering the club gave him his first team break he could have helped with regards gettin a fee.
By doing what?! Refusing career progression and demand compensation for his employers before leaving? When you get into the real world outside of school, FM, you might realise that things don't work that way ...

WS

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Javea Shrimper @ June 08 2004,13:02)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (footymad13 @ June 08 2004,12:43)]All im saying is he knew he would leave for nothing and considering the club gave him his first team break he could have helped with regards gettin a fee.
By doing what?! Refusing career progression and demand compensation for his employers before leaving? When you get into the real world outside of school, FM, you might realise that things don't work that way ...

WS
Did you also consider that one of the reasons for the Hull deal was that he was available on a free?

I think this whole thread seems to have gone a bit wayward with the same point mentioned time and time again. So I'll do it again (but in a structured list). I would say the general consensus is:

-> Leon turned down a two year deal and would only extend the one year if we got promoted. We didn't, so he fulfilled this vow.
-> Hull are a bigger club than Southend with more money and, more importantly, bigger attendances that, by the new rules, allow higher wage bills (apologies for the excessive use of commas).
-> All players want to play at the highest level.

Taking all these points, I see Leon's departure as neither a surprise, nor a dishonour to the club. I reckon we have adequate cover with Edwards and I reckon Tilson knew he would be leaving all along. Let's thank him for not jumping ship when we were doing cr*p.

Indeed. I think the general consensus is that the very best wishes of the ShrimperZone Community go with Leon Cort. He served us well and deserves progress.

Closed ...

WS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back