• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i Was under the impression that vaccines do no more than prepare your immune system for when you catch it.. so you are less likely to get very ill or die..you can presumably still pass it on ? thus it makes sense to vaccinate the vulnerable. As youngsters and healthy adults under 50 are about as likely to drown than die from C 19 then they should be at the very end of any Q if they even need it at all

A awful lot of people 'drowned' last year.

Absolutely, as a senior civil servant I can absolutely agree that the vaccine is the cavalry in this situation. The sooner we have 80% of the population vaccinated the sooner we all get back to normal. Encourage your friends and family to put their faith in the scientists, who can prove their theories, not the old men in dresses at corner shops who have nothing but ‘faith’ to offer.

Faith in a vaccine that doesn’t stop you catching Covid or passing it on (According to Dr Hillary, Before the usual crew jump to their keyboards).

So if it is just to reduce the effects then no one under 50 needs to be in the queue. Prioritise the old and the vulnerable but we won’t need 80% before the end of ‘New normal’

I'm not sure where the bottleneck with vaccines is? Is it lack of staff to administer or lack of actual vaccine? If the former then I'd agree. I'd also agree that the regular (not sure it will be daily) testing in schools is an unknown in terms of if it will help.

If the press reports are true then it would appear lack of vaccines being available is the current bottleneck.

57,725 people tested positive today. I’ve just received a notification of this from Sky News saying it’s the highest since the pandemic started.

Now I know it’s a high number and really bad but I’d love to know the amount of people tested compared to the highest back during the first peak. Surely the numbers are so high because we are testing more. I’m not making a conspiracy or saying this isn’t real. But the constant tag lines the media use without any perspective to it just gives off a we want to scare the **** out of everyone rhetoric. Again I know things are bad but I’d love to see comparisons as they never display this information.

What would the numbers of positive tests be if we had tested as much as we are now during the first peak?

57,725 people tested positive today. I’ve just received a notification of this from Sky News saying it’s the highest since the pandemic started.

Now I know it’s a high number and really bad but I’d love to know the amount of people tested compared to the highest back during the first peak. Surely the numbers are so high because we are testing more. I’m not making a conspiracy or saying this isn’t real. But the constant tag lines the media use without any perspective to it just gives off a we want to scare the **** out of everyone rhetoric. Again I know things are bad but I’d love to see comparisons as they never display this information.

What would the numbers of positive tests be if we had tested as much as we are now during the first peak?

Yes, they should at least give numbers for the percentage of positives from those tested. Even that wouldn't really make an accurate comparison as in the early days only people with obvious symptoms got tested and it wasn't as well known that you could be asymptomatic, Still scary times though.

Last edited:

Whilst you're probably right that the Covid numbers were underreported in the first wave you only need to look at how many hospitals are hitting capacity to see it's worse than before.

Ricey makes a reasoned point about the numbers, and percentage, also more people are being tested without symptoms and that also makes it more comparing apples and oranges.
Still people shop in families, not individuals, still a quick pop into a garage or newsagent without a mask, still the concept of space,inside and outside hasn't been learnt.

Been to Tesco at Pitsea today as I'd broken my ironing board and needed a replacement, also got some milk for my parents. The number of "fit and able" young men walking around without masks beggared belief - and I am firmly of the opinion that not one of them was challenged on the way in because of the way they carried themselves. Put people on the doors who WILL challenge, not young women who wouldn't say boo to a goose!

Some good points made above! The asymptomatic numbers are always going to be unknown,
I don't think you can put an accurate figure and compare.
Whether we're in a better position , worse or the same I'm not sure.
With the vaccine news we took the lead and then the new strain sort of levelled things but hopefully not for long.

Been to Tesco at Pitsea today as I'd broken my ironing board and needed a replacement, also got some milk for my parents. The number of "fit and able" young men walking around without masks beggared belief - and I am firmly of the opinion that not one of them was challenged on the way in because of the way they carried themselves. Put people on the doors who WILL challenge, not young women who wouldn't say boo to a goose!
I have said it before and I'll repeat myself.
Make it illegal for these maskless persons to be served, fine the shops if they do serve them; shops get fined if they serve under age persons with alcohol or fags, they check ID and can check legitimate non mask persons.
Shops would soon get behind it, (as pubs did with smokers inside bars), AND ensure that Police (CPS and courts) give answering shop calls about aggressive non wearers a priority response,
People would soon comply.
A conviction for non wearing, likely aggravated by abuse and aggression would be quite unappealing imo.

Been to Tesco at Pitsea today The number of "fit and able" young men walking around without masks beggared belief - and I am firmly of the opinion that not one of them was challenged on the way in because of the way they carried themselves. Put people on the doors who WILL challenge, not young women who wouldn't say boo to a goose!

Just cant fathom out why they do it?. Do they think it looks 'macho' or just brooding for a row, or plain ignorance?.

I am not understanding the point of Mr Sarf's post?

Is it that this winter is no different?

Is it that in previous years the NHS has carried on with routine operations and urgent work for illnesses, cancers and the like, post op and recovery BUT this year those things have largely been postponed and delayed?

I have said it before and I'll repeat myself.
Make it illegal for these maskless persons to be served, fine the shops if they do serve them; shops get fined if they serve under age persons with alcohol or fags, they check ID and can check legitimate non mask persons.
Shops would soon get behind it, (as pubs did with smokers inside bars), AND ensure that Police (CPS and courts) give answering shop calls about aggressive non wearers a priority response,
People would soon comply.
A conviction for non wearing, likely aggravated by abuse and aggression would be quite unappealing imo.

I agree, and I do understand that some people cannot wear masks for whatever reason - but, surely, there is then no problem with wearing a visor? No-one should be in a shop without one or the other and it's time the supermarkets got tough on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back