• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can not say the r rate is down to any particular age group.
Younger folk do often appear too unconcerned to take hands face space and alertness into their lifestyle.
However I don't think they are the only ones.
Still couples/families shop in groups, many others go into shops without masks, people don't make space on pavements and wander haphazardly.

Essex man or woman have reputation for bolshy entitlement behaviour and this is showing.

I agree it’s not down to one demographic or reason. There are a lot of people who’ve been mixing whether in the rules or not. A few other things:

- if we use the c2c line as a guide. Then we know there are a lot of very poor areas from Southend to London, even though the general area is affluent. The cases have exploded in very poor wards and then spread across towns and the region.

poverty is a risk factor because of poor living conditions, inter generational households, poor health etc. Poorer people are less likely to be able to WFH and often work in the service industry, caring etc. The government haven’t adequately provided for these people at all.

there are many large employers which have been shown to be risky in the transmission. Lots of people travel to work at new holland, purfleet and tilbury, Ford etc. These places haven’t shut down and you can’t WFH. Likewise many people in the region have had to travel into London to work as key workers etc. Public transport isn’t really avoidable.

I'm not trolling I'm just a realist and positive person! Tell me? Why do u think things will get worse when we already have a vaccine? And now an even better vaccine that is starting on monday and we have 100 million doses but we only actually need to vaccinate 15 million? Football wont be stopt,there will be no ppg and quite rightly so as we have this vaccine now,its what we have been waiting for it's the game changer.
Things will get worse/are getting worse because of the new strain of Covid virus which is spreading at an alarming rate in the South East. I agree with you that immunisation will eventually slow or control this disease, but to suggest that football won't be stopped and will return to normal soon is just ridiculous. It's so ridiculous that even with your positivity we are likely to see more areas of the country in Tier 4, possibly this afternoon, and complete lockdown is not impossible. Now that is a game changer.

We also have grammar schools with school kids travelling from all over the county and East London. That will be a significant factor for Essex and Kent versus many other parts of the country.
I doubt it's a significant factor. I've got one kid in a Southend grammer and one in a local comprehensive - the local comprehensive has gone into shutdown/remote schooling more than the grammer - in fact my one in the grammer hasn't missed a day (although other classes/years have)

Matt Hancock just specifically advised everyone in Southend where the case rate is “very very high” to limit “all social contact unless it’s absolutely necessary”. This was in response to David Amess in the Commons.

We also have grammar schools with school kids travelling from all over the county and East London. That will be a significant factor for Essex and Kent versus many other parts of the country.
I live near Southend Boys and my observations are that the boys are keeping to their groups in the grounds, they are also alert and mindful of space issues, bus, and indeed at the local Hobleythick Lane newsagent respectful, mask wearing and abiding the rules.
Comparing the boys to the Earl's Hall school parents is different, the mums outside the primary school don't seem to be aware of anything more than their phones or grouping together in packs to gossip while maskless.

I meant to come on here and post yesterday but in truth after the day I had I came home absolutely shattered both physically and mentally.
Some of the issues I had to deal with yesterday was heartbreaking and and would say to anyone who says this is a hoax please come and spend a day with me and see what I have been seeing.
Today all I have done is speak with families highlighting the severity of what is going on and have told some families to hope for the best but prepare for the worst.
This is the worse I have seen it and it is far worse than when we first went into lockdown in March/April.
We are testing more so hence will get more positives back - law of average but what we are now seeing is people having COVID and seem to be fine and then suddenly deteriorate.
The care homes in particular (or some of them) are having a particular hard time now and we are seeing an increase in death rates in this age group.

Please be careful and follow the guidelines

Keep going strong @Tinks, you and your colleagues are doing a fantastic job and Mrs Roots and I are so very grateful for your efforts. RHB x

Oh bless you - thanks.
It is not good out there at the moment but on the bright side it is good news with the Oxford Vac and I was at a meeting this morning which we were discussing and plans are being put into place now to roll this one out.
It looks like we may extend the programme (if we get enough vaccines) to weekends and have said I am happy to work any extra hours including weekends but not on Saturdays between 2,30-5.30

Hearing a lot of rumours that the schools will not re open next week. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing really. I think it is the main source of the spread of the virus but I don't want the kids to miss any more school

Hearing a lot of rumours that the schools will not re open next week. Don't know if that's a good or bad thing really. I think it is the main source of the spread of the virus but I don't want the kids to miss any more school
Primary schools are remote learning til the 18th in most Essex boroughs (if not all, definitely Southend and Castle Point). It’s on the gov.uk website I believe ..

Primary schools are remote learning til the 18th in most Essex boroughs (if not all, definitely Southend and Castle Point). It’s on the gov.uk website I believe ..
I couldn’t find the specific page on the gov website, but the list of areas is confirmed here.

My wife is a primary school teacher and tbh it’s a relief as given the current situation I’d rather she wasn’t effectively mixing with 30 other families right now.

Would it be possible to keep schools out for a further week or two and cut the summer holiday to 4 weeks to make up the lessons?
Those taking the equivalent of O and A levels need to get back though.

Would it be possible to keep schools out for a further week or two and cut the summer holiday to 4 weeks to make up the lessons?
Those taking the equivalent of O and A levels need to get back though.

That wouldn't be good - already booked summer hols for first 2 weeks of school holidays!!! Honestly - it's not a bad idea - even though would disrupt our plans, and probably lose deposit, I wouldn't object to it.

I couldn’t find the specific page on the gov website, but the list of areas is confirmed here.

My wife is a primary school teacher and tbh it’s a relief as given the current situation I’d rather she wasn’t effectively mixing with 30 other families right now.

I feel the same regards my son going back, rather he didn’t .. and I feel sorry for your wife as schools are really under the cosh at the minute.

I doubt it's a significant factor. I've got one kid in a Southend grammer and one in a local comprehensive - the local comprehensive has gone into shutdown/remote schooling more than the grammer - in fact my one in the grammer hasn't missed a day (although other classes/years have)
I live near Southend Boys and my observations are that the boys are keeping to their groups in the grounds, they are also alert and mindful of space issues, bus, and indeed at the local Hobleythick Lane newsagent respectful, mask wearing and abiding the rules.
Comparing the boys to the Earl's Hall school parents is different, the mums outside the primary school don't seem to be aware of anything more than their phones or grouping together in packs to gossip while maskless.

I'm not pointing fingers and it's not about behaviour, it's just a point about geographical spread. Lots of kids travel from across East London and Essex to attend these schools and any virus spread can come into Southend and back to their home areas again.

I'm not pointing fingers and it's not about behaviour, it's just a point about geographical spread. Lots of kids travel from across East London and Essex to attend these schools and any virus spread can come into Southend and back to their home areas again.

It's a factor - but I doubt it is a significant one which was stated in original post.

There are thousands of people doing the same thing every day, only have to look at A127, A13 or the trains.

Looks like schools will be online for the majority of pupils over the next couple of weeks so at least one of the many routes of transmission will be closed off.

Schools need to get back as soon as possible, closing them IMO has more drawbacks than benefits. Yes it will lessen the spread but it will also.

• Disrupt childrens learning
  • Impact on their social interactions with their peers
  • Lead to mental health issues
  • Hugely affect parents who have to work and will now be expected to home school primary children as well. This is not possible
  • Stop key workers being able to go to work due to childcare issues.

I'm talking from personal experience here. I have no idea how we'll cope this time around as January is our buisiest time at work and will be expected to work 10+ hours a day to hit deadlines. It is unworkable

Last edited:
As GNH posts above, the youngsters need school.
And from my observations they mix, socially, very often in close groups anyway out of school?
The main group protected by closing schools is the teachers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back