• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

SUFC: The Future Consortium and Ron exchange contracts... so when will they be signed??

Our hopes and visions for the rebirth of Southend United, plus any plans published by the consortium for discussion
Look the council is made of politicians, not businessmen, demonstrating why you wouldn’t leave them in charge of a fish and chip shop…

Of course progress is funereal, it’s inexplicable why it’s taking so long, even allowing for two odd months wasted doing absolutely nothing (a particular skill). And they will always hide behind “process” which is the get out of jail free card, not only for councils, but also government, to deliver failure on a biblical scale.

For the local MP to castigate the council leader from her own party probably tells us how inexplicably lazy and mismanaged the whole sorry process is.

But we will be told it must be so, as they will all go to prison if they put a foot wrong- I think we all understand that there is no level of strategic failure that results in any politician suffering that particular fate… sadly..

Very well done again Anna Firth.

MP Anna Firth is pushing for answers after what she feels is an “unacceptable” delay in the consortium officially taking control of Southend United.

The consortium, which is headed up by Justin Rees, agreed heads of terms to buy Blues back in October.
However, the deal is being held up due to ongoing talks between Southend City Council and Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin over the revised plans for Fossetts Farm.
Those discussions are expected to delay the consortium’s arrival for another six to eight weeks, despite them already funding the club in a big way.

And Ms Firth has now written to the council for further clarification.
In an open letter issued tonight on Twitter, she said: “I wrote to Southend City Council to demand an update and to make my opinion on the further delays clear.
“This opinion is that the anticipated delays of 6-8 weeks are unacceptable.

“As I understand it, now that Those words are banned is underway, the outcome of that Those words are banned will need to be reported to Cabinet which is expected to happen during March or April.
“After the completion of Those words are banned, the Council's external auditors will need to review the proposed transactions before officers can then report to Cabinet with a recommendation on the way forward.”

But Ms Firth does not understand why talks could not have taken place far sooner.
“I completely understand that due process and planning procedure must be adhered to, however I remain perplexed as to why the costs of Those words are banned were only being worked out in January, and why they did not begin in earnest, when the deal was initially announced on the 23rd October,” she said.

“The further delay means yet another period of uncertainty for Southend fans, players and staff.
“The consortium are already investing huge sums of money into stadium improvements, new players and staff wages, despite not even owning the club.”
And Ms Firth feels the consortium need to be given more support.
She added: “More needs to be done to ensure that the incoming consortium feels supported at all levels, and that their investment will be protected.
“For too long has there been obfuscation and opacity surrounding the dealings of the club, Fossetts Farm and other related matters.
“The Consortium have already taken huge strides to ensure there is appropriate transparency and have been working hard to restore the trust of fans.”
But Ms Firth, who watched Blues beat Aldershot Town 4-1 at Roots Hall this afternoon, wants supporters to be kept updated.
“I implore the City Council to follow this lead and ensure all further delays are communicated to Southend United's biggest stakeholder, the fans,” she said.
“I will continue to work with the Consortium, Southend City Council, and fans as we reach the conclusion of this latest chapter.
“Following which, I have no doubt will see the true potential of this fantastic club unleashed and a prosperous future for all associated with it.”

Well, the buying of the club is like a never ending story.
This looks like rambling on past the end of this season. And with the 🐀 still owning the club and not putting a penny into the club for a considerable time.
I just wonder what the consortium are thinking and wondering if they have done the right thing.
Just hope Anna can nudge things along to a more speedy conclusion.

I suspect the changes in leadership on the management (i.e. non political) side of the council may have something to do with the slow movement.

Look the council is made of politicians, not businessmen, demonstrating why you wouldn’t leave them in charge of a fish and chip shop…

Of course progress is funereal, it’s inexplicable why it’s taking so long, even allowing for two odd months wasted doing absolutely nothing (a particular skill). And they will always hide behind “process” which is the get out of jail free card, not only for councils, but also government, to deliver failure on a biblical scale.

For the local MP to castigate the council leader from her own party probably tells us how inexplicably lazy and mismanaged the whole sorry process is.

But we will be told it must be so, as they will all go to prison if they put a foot wrong- I think we all understand that there is no level of strategic failure that results in any politician suffering that particular fate… sadly..
Indeed. It is telling that, for once, she's not blaming the rat. She didn't even mention him.

Very well done again Anna Firth.

MP Anna Firth is pushing for answers after what she feels is an “unacceptable” delay in the consortium officially taking control of Southend United.

The consortium, which is headed up by Justin Rees, agreed heads of terms to buy Blues back in October.
However, the deal is being held up due to ongoing talks between Southend City Council and Shrimpers chairman Ron Martin over the revised plans for Fossetts Farm.
Those discussions are expected to delay the consortium’s arrival for another six to eight weeks, despite them already funding the club in a big way.

And Ms Firth has now written to the council for further clarification.
In an open letter issued tonight on Twitter, she said: “I wrote to Southend City Council to demand an update and to make my opinion on the further delays clear.
“This opinion is that the anticipated delays of 6-8 weeks are unacceptable.

“As I understand it, now that Those words are banned is underway, the outcome of that Those words are banned will need to be reported to Cabinet which is expected to happen during March or April.
“After the completion of Those words are banned, the Council's external auditors will need to review the proposed transactions before officers can then report to Cabinet with a recommendation on the way forward.”

But Ms Firth does not understand why talks could not have taken place far sooner.
“I completely understand that due process and planning procedure must be adhered to, however I remain perplexed as to why the costs of Those words are banned were only being worked out in January, and why they did not begin in earnest, when the deal was initially announced on the 23rd October,” she said.

“The further delay means yet another period of uncertainty for Southend fans, players and staff.
“The consortium are already investing huge sums of money into stadium improvements, new players and staff wages, despite not even owning the club.”
And Ms Firth feels the consortium need to be given more support.
She added: “More needs to be done to ensure that the incoming consortium feels supported at all levels, and that their investment will be protected.
“For too long has there been obfuscation and opacity surrounding the dealings of the club, Fossetts Farm and other related matters.
“The Consortium have already taken huge strides to ensure there is appropriate transparency and have been working hard to restore the trust of fans.”
But Ms Firth, who watched Blues beat Aldershot Town 4-1 at Roots Hall this afternoon, wants supporters to be kept updated.
“I implore the City Council to follow this lead and ensure all further delays are communicated to Southend United's biggest stakeholder, the fans,” she said.
“I will continue to work with the Consortium, Southend City Council, and fans as we reach the conclusion of this latest chapter.
“Following which, I have no doubt will see the true potential of this fantastic club unleashed and a prosperous future for all associated with it.”
I’m confused. All the bits in quotes don’t mention Ron once as slowing anything down. AF is clear it’s the result of the councils Those words are banned process taking too long?

The bits not in quotation seem to suggest somehow Ron and the council are still negotiating something and that is slowing something down? Who is saying this? Where is it coming from? Not AF or the consortium as far as I know?

Sorry KB - really think you've gone too far with your derogatory remarks this time.

What you've said is highly insulting and unfair.

In fact, on reflection, you may see fit to withdraw some of what you've said.

I mean, how would you feel if you ran a fish and chip shop? :Whistling:

The Council have been at the root of this saga since Day 1. "Two Bob" Councillors come wannabe politicians running the show.

This will get done but it's likely to be very, very slow.

Of course the politicians aren't business people, their interest is making the town better, not making money.

This will get done but it's likely to be very, very slow.

Of course the politicians aren't business people, their interest is making the town better, not making money.
Are you really confident it will definitely get done? I hope you're right.

With so many clubs on the brink at the moment, I do feel uneasy that this could crumble the longer it goes on. Feels like Ron with Sainsbury's all over again. Using someone else's money and we'll see no change long term. I know I'm just being pessimistic but I'm sure I'm not the only one slightly concerned.

We just can't be going into preseason with no takeover in place when we will be trying to attract new players, the training ground needs sorting and the stadium sprucing up.

Anyone know what the purpose of this Those words are banned is - I could understand if this was the first planning application, but why is this needed for just moving 500 homes from Roots Hall to Fossets?

Anyone know what the purpose of this Those words are banned is - I could understand if this was the first planning application, but why is this needed for just moving 500 homes from Roots Hall to Fossets?
mate, I'd want to do Those words are banned before I gave Ron Martin a tissue to blow his nose. can't blame anyone for wanting to be very, very careful when it comes to anything to do with him.

mate, I'd want to do Those words are banned before I gave Ron Martin a tissue to blow his nose. can't blame anyone for wanting to be very, very careful when it comes to anything to do with him.
But this isn't a new request from Rob though, that's my point, so why now and not before?

I posted a link a week or 2 ago to a council document on the matter. Ron wants to completely change the financial aspect as well. It's a big change

Listened to BBC news via Alexa - it had a piece on the Anna Firth letter. It said completion expected in the spring. I can remember when the deal announced it was "early in the new year" - which I jokingly (partially) said could be any time between Jan and Apr - that's looking ambitious now.

Are you really confident it will definitely get done? I hope you're right.

With so many clubs on the brink at the moment, I do feel uneasy that this could crumble the longer it goes on. Feels like Ron with Sainsbury's all over again. Using someone else's money and we'll see no change long term. I know I'm just being pessimistic but I'm sure I'm not the only one slightly concerned.

We just can't be going into preseason with no takeover in place when we will be trying to attract new players, the training ground needs sorting and the stadium sprucing up.
I am confident. If the deal collapses it will be ruinous for Ron. Not only will the FF houses not get built (causing his creditors like CBRE to come for him and his money) but COSU will also go after him for all the money they've sunk into the club they weren't able to own.

Ron is in an unimaginable level of debt; so much so that even IF all the homes at FF were to be built, it might not be enough to get him into the black. He cannot let this deal collapse. He will lose everything.

Back