• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Chelmsford City 0-1 Southend United, pre-season friendly

To those saying we’re crying out for an attacking midfielder. We look set to sign Pedder to play there.Bridge could also be moved into an attacking midfield role this season with Ralph wing back and Gubbins LCB. Noor also does his best stuff higher up for me. I think we’re set there unless we want to break the bank
I haven’t seen Pedder yet but agree with what you’re saying. Ralph is an ideal lwb,Bridge cannot defend and opponents know this.

So after their brief trip across the Irish Sea, the Shrimpers return to Essex to play National League South Chelmsford City in our final pre-season game before the real action begins at home to York City.

Whilst we were getting some valuable minutes into the legs of some who were lacking in game time against Ballyfermot United on Tuesday night, our opponents on Saturday lost 4-3 at Witham in the Tolleshunt D'Arcy Memorial Cup (I didn't know Tolleshunt D'Arcy had died - I didn't even know it was ill!).

The Clarets, who are also under new ownership, have had a mixed pre-season so far - they had wins at Hertford Town (0-5) and Billericay (1-2), drew at Royston Town (0-0) and at home to one of the National League favourites, Barnet (1-1) and then as well as losing at Witham have suffered defeats at AFC Sudbury (3-2) and at home to MK Dons (0-1).

They are likely to have at least one familiar face in their line up with our former striker Jake Hyde now plying his trade at the Melbourne Community Stadium (provided he's not injured!), our former youth team midfielder Jacob Bland is also now on their books.

Kev must now be getting near to knowing what his preferred starting line up will be for the season opener at home to York. Adam Crowther and Noor Husin seem unlikely to be ready in time, so with the small squad the starting XI now almost picks itself with perhaps the only decisions are who starts up front alongside Cards, and where Jack Bridge and Nathan Ralph (presumably both certain starters) will feature and who drops out as a result.

It will be interesting to see whether Rafferty Pedder gets another opportunity as a trials and whether former Arsenal goalkeeper James Hillson gets another opportunity or if we'll trial another goalkeeping option.

We got Wind of at least one potential signing before the weekend so let's see if that comes to fruition too.

The game kicks off at 3.00pm and tickets are available to buy in advance from their website which may save queuing at the turnstiles.

https://ticketpass.org/event/EBDYCB/chelmsford-city-vs-southend-united

View attachment 33203
Tolleshunt D’Arcy was Shrimpet Steve!!

Well done Josh, nice goal good build up. Hope York are as sluggish as us next week, expect so early season and all that! 3 Points COYB UTB 👍👊💙🧢

Not overly impressed with the result with what looked like our best side out there, but i await those that attended reports. @GBJ

Errr, view wasn’t great from the bar area. We won, that’s the important thing.

Spoke to the lad who works in the club shop, he deserves a ****ing medal for what he’s had to deal with.

We played some nice football at times, moving it quickly between the lines. Dunno, gut feeling says we haven’t taken the handbrake off yet. Hopefully this will change come league time.

Meh.

We won’t let many in, but won’t score many either. Similar to previous seasons.

Desperately short of a midfield spark as we all know and another option up top.

Precisely my thought midway through the second half. We’ll win plenty of games 1-0.

Will that be enough? 🤷‍♂️

Can't add much to what the others have said about the game. We do seem to be crying out for someone in midfield to make runs past the front 2 when they are holding the ball up.

As for Chelmsford a credit to them for their catering efforts. The bar looked good & service someone said was reasonably quick, there was a little hut outside serving a beer & lager plus a banging food truck selling what looked very decent burgers & loaded fries etc.

This is not lost on COSU as Tom Lawrence arrived with his 2 boys & we were talking to him about what we saw. He knows exactly the spend per head at clubs & what they realistically can look to aim for. The boys were hungry so they headed off to sample the truck wares so it's good that he'll have 1st hand experience & he also mentioned how impressed he was by Bishops Stortford as well.

I mentioned how much the engagement is being appreciated by the average fan, some will never give credit. He said the c2c deal had been on the burner for some months & he gave a lot of credit to Rylee & another guy, whose name I forget sorry!, about the quality of the videos & stories they are telling. I got the feeling he was expecting another announcement yesterday but that might just be me misreading what he said.

Totally agree we need a driving force in midfield who takes the game to the opposition as this would release players all over the pitch. Pedder may be the one but I would like another tried and tested player as our lead remaining signing. Got to be able to break teams down both out wide and straight down the middle. This is the area we are lacking most. Someone quick, forward thinking g and an ability to drive forward and beat a man.
I am absolutely sure our management team know what is required. Noor is missing for another game or two, seems Pedder may well sign. Hopefully they will provide what is needed.

Walker was looking good.
We were playing a lot more one touch football, and driving forward more than we were crabbing like last year.
Cardwell done 2 goods runs through the middle of their defence.
Looked good,

But,
As always, it’s not a problem us getting into their goal area.
The problem is converting those chances into goals.
That is our greatest problem.

Started brightly and scored a well worked goal , pitch was full of sand and slowed the game down which closed the gap in class .
Taylor , Ralph and Kensdale had very solid games and all looked a class above .

Cardwell missed 2 chances you’d expect a player of his ability to comfortably put away , really liked the look of Walker and a magic little flick into Cardwells path showed how intelligent a player he is as well as hard working and quick - I think he will be a fans favourite .

Miley was average as was Morton and I must say I’m disappointed in what I saw of him today, wouldn’t say he was any better than their 19 and blonde lad (no 6 I think ) , he will struggle to get in the side over Husin and I think we miss his bit of bite .

Bridge was quiet and GSM huffed and puffed but again no quality to report .

Wind wasn’t on for long enough to comment other than he has a very long throw .

As pointed out City would of been down to ten men in a real game and the score line would of been better on the eye but having said that CC had a decent chance of their own forcing a fantastic save from Colin

Taylor , kensdale, Ralph standouts , the rest a bit meh

I am absolutely sure our management team know what is required. Noor is missing for another game or two, seems Pedder may well sign. Hopefully they will provide what is needed.
I saw several supporters talking to Tom Lawrence during the game so I’m sure they could all see what’s needed

I do hope they make some moves for a couple of attacking midfielders, if its only pedder thats a hell of a lot of responsibility for a relative novice, and what if he gets injured.

I know we want to play to a budget and quite right, but football is an entertainment business, dour one nils arent gonna bring people in.

If Still et al cant find the next wunderkind right now because we were late to the party, or they just arent out there right now, there must be a few young bench warming attacking mids from l2 ,l1 or even the championship we could possibly loan.

We have a decent squad, cant help feel that we are only a couple of players off being contenders.

I'm never one to take much notice of friendly results. In the past we have had shockers and won promotion and won possibly all of them and got relegated. For example your not going to see the best of Miley or Morton bite in these sort of games

I was however hoping to watch Pedder and Walker closely today. At first there are some wild theories as to why Pedder wasn't even on the bench. As per normal knock is always the obvious answer. Remember this during the coming season when certain posters will be outraged at 14:05 when Kev has "drooped" their favourite player for no reason.

Some reports about Walker on here from fans at his previous clubs mentioned he was easily pushed of the ball. Happy to report I didn't t see that today. Linked up well with Harry C and would clearly do well if we provide the service

In fact a couple of times Walker showed good strength shielding with their big number 4? all over him. The same player who brought down Cards when he was clean through......If you bring someone down like that in friendly then its still a red. Your the **** for doing it in a friendly. 5 mins later the same player bodychecked Colin to prevent a quick throw.

Some really sharp play and one team in it first 30. JB frustratingly killed several move by wanting 4 touches when first time cross would be just what the forwards wanted. Fairly dull in the middle and Chelmsford finished the stronger team. Cocker turned and lost his man in the centre a few times, he should have driven on and released Cardwell or Waldron but chose the save easy option of out wide.

Overall and once again we had plenty of ball time in the final third......Once again their keeper was barely tested. Shooting, the will to shoot and set pieces. Thats the key to our season. A Good first 20 v York might relax everyone. See you all at the Hall

Started brightly and scored a well worked goal , pitch was full of sand and slowed the game down which closed the gap in class .
Taylor , Ralph and Kensdale had very solid games and all looked a class above .

Cardwell missed 2 chances you’d expect a player of his ability to comfortably put away , really liked the look of Walker and a magic little flick into Cardwells path showed how intelligent a player he is as well as hard working and quick - I think he will be a fans favourite .

Miley was average as was Morton and I must say I’m disappointed in what I saw of him today, wouldn’t say he was any better than their 19 and blonde lad (no 6 I think ) , he will struggle to get in the side over Husin and I think we miss his bit of bite .

Bridge was quiet and GSM huffed and puffed but again no quality to report .

Wind wasn’t on for long enough to comment other than he has a very long throw .

As pointed out City would of been down to ten men in a real game and the score line would of been better on the eye but having said that CC had a decent chance of their own forcing a fantastic save from Colin

Taylor , kensdale, Ralph standouts , the rest a bit meh
Its all about opinions but i thought the three of Morton, Miley and Coker played well with some quick passing. The pitch didnt help. I think it was Mileys pass to Kensdale to set up the goal and Morton also played a couple of lovely long diagonals. Hard to judge on todays showing as the pitch did us no favours and the game was played at half pace a lot of the time especially second half

Spoke to Crowther, Husin and Pedder today. Husin said he will be fit for Hartlepool, Crowther a little way behind and Pedder has a slight hamstring so didnt feature today. I asked him if he was going to sign and he said hopefully just sorting things out. Husin said he hoped he did as in his words he is 'quality' so watch this space. Spoke to Tom L who also said they are working hard to get a few more in

Pedder is going to sign? Loan signing I presume. Did you ask for how long?

Why do you keep bumping into people?
Can't add much to what the others have said about the game. We do seem to be crying out for someone in midfield to make runs past the front 2 when they are holding the ball up.

As for Chelmsford a credit to them for their catering efforts. The bar looked good & service someone said was reasonably quick, there was a little hut outside serving a beer & lager plus a banging food truck selling what looked very decent burgers & loaded fries etc.

This is not lost on COSU as Tom Lawrence arrived with his 2 boys & we were talking to him about what we saw. He knows exactly the spend per head at clubs & what they realistically can look to aim for. The boys were hungry so they headed off to sample the truck wares so it's good that he'll have 1st hand experience & he also mentioned how impressed he was by Bishops Stortford as well.

I mentioned how much the engagement is being appreciated by the average fan, some will never give credit. He said the c2c deal had been on the burner for some months & he gave a lot of credit to Rylee & another guy, whose name I forget sorry!, about the quality of the videos & stories they are telling. I got the feeling he was expecting another announcement yesterday but that might just be me misreading what he said.
Sadly the loaded fries were not good

Back