• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Chelmsford City 0-1 Southend United, pre-season friendly

Thought it was a poor game, and other than the first 15 minutes thought we looked a bit one dimensional again. Midfield is incapable of any attacking play and they’re far too similar.

Walker looked pretty sharp, and think him and Cardwll would do well with some decent service. Desperately need a couple of more attacking players otherwise I’m struggling to see us scoring many this season.

Morton's a decent player but apart from having a nice long diagonal ball in his locker Miley and Husin do everything better than him.

I think he'll prove to be valuable squad depth and cover for the aforementioned duo but no more than that. Which is hardly a bad thing.

Ideally the next midfield signing, which has to be an attacking player, pushes him down the pecking order.

It was probably better than the 1-0 suggests. 2 clear cut chances missed and cardwell was taken down when he was last man, definite red but ref was in friendly mode so didn't give it. Chelmsford did have one clear cut chance themselves, Colin making a great save. You could see the teams were a league apart

I don't think it's a striker we need as a paramount signing, i would be happier if we could get a midfield player in to supply the guys we already have like Pedder.
Isn’t Pedder a supplier as well as a potential scorer? Looks to me that he’s not afraid of a forward pass or taking a man on.

Will be interesting to see if Charlie Ruff starts for Chelmsford and how he gets on.
Meh. Shows the difference in standards between the leagues. Obviously has a bit of talent but nowhere near what we’d need and a long way behind the likes of Husin, Morton and Miley. In my opinion of course.

It was probably better than the 1-0 suggests. 2 clear cut chances missed and cardwell was taken down when he was last man, definite red but ref was in friendly mode so didn't give it. Chelmsford did have one clear cut chance themselves, Colin making a great save. You could see the teams were a league apart
Definitely. Pretty dull preseason game with a clear mandate for not getting yourself injured ahead of the opener. Tick in the box for fitness but that’s all.

Regarding the sending off, I know it’s a friendly but what’s the point in the ref if you don’t have to follow the rules anyway? Perhaps would have been better to ask the manager to take the player off? No consequences for clear and purposeful red card offences doesn’t make sense.

Gulf in class between the two sides. Southend played in second gear throughout and even then could have won by 2-3 goals.

Highlight of the game, bumping into @Ricey and joining him for the duration.

Agree with above. Crying out for an attacking midfielder who can drive forward and chip in with goals. Too much safe, side to side passers. Need a Leonard type . Hopefully Pedder is that man

A decent work out for the lads against a physical Chelmsford side. In truth i dont think we ever got out of first gear. Scored a decent goal and Cardwell should have added a second. Otherwise we didnt create many chances and we relied on Colin to make two good saves towards the end. Still think we lack a driving force in midfield as we played some decent stuff through midfield without penetrating the Chelmsford defence. The pitch didnt help though which seemed very bobbly and the grass long so it made quick passing impossible. Cardwell and Walker seemed to connect well at times. Wind came on late and looked ok. Hopefully all got through injury free although Miley came off limping late on after appearing to get his studs caught in the ground.

spoke to Crowther, Husin and Pedder today. Husin said he will be fit for Hartlepool, Crowther a little way behind and Pedder has a slight hamstring so didnt feature today. I asked him if he was going to sign and he said hopefully just sorting things out. Husin said he hoped he did as in his words he is 'quality' so watch this space. Spoke to Tom L who also said they are working hard to get a few more in

@shrimperjon summed up my thoughts exactly. Didn't get out of second gear and could still have won by more.

Still crying out for an attacking midfielder - good to see Pedder still with the squad as think he could be a useful player for us.

Clear gulf in class between the two teams, game not helped by a slow pitch. Good workout - now onto the real thing against York - who incidentally drew their last pre-season game 3-3 against Spennymore Town.

A decent work out for the lads against a physical Chelmsford side. In truth i dont think we ever got out of first gear. Scored a decent goal and Cardwell should have added a second. Otherwise we didnt create many chances and we relied on Colin to make two good saves towards the end. Still think we lack a driving force in midfield as we played some decent stuff through midfield without penetrating the Chelmsford defence. The pitch didnt help though which seemed very bobbly and the grass long so it made quick passing impossible. Cardwell and Walker seemed to connect well at times. Wind came on late and looked ok. Hopefully all got through injury free although Miley came off limping late on after appearing to get his studs caught in the ground.

spoke to Crowther, Husin and Pedder today. Husin said he will be fit for Hartlepool, Crowther a little way behind and Pedder has a slight hamstring so didnt feature today. I asked him if he was going to sign and he said hopefully just sorting things out. Husin said he hoped he did as in his words he is 'quality' so watch this space. Spoke to Tom L who also said they are working hard to get a few more in
Totally agree we need a driving force in midfield who takes the game to the opposition as this would release players all over the pitch. Pedder may be the one but I would like another tried and tested player as our lead remaining signing. Got to be able to break teams down both out wide and straight down the middle. This is the area we are lacking most. Someone quick, forward thinking g and an ability to drive forward and beat a man.

Back