• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...anian-agencies-struggle-to-find-uk-farm-staff

Sorry to post a Guardian link but this is relevant to the recent debate on here about the use of seasonal immigrant labour on farms in the UK.Basically it's declined,pre-Brexit, because of the decline in the value of sterling after the Referendum vote,higher wages elsewhere in the EU and improving economies in Romania and Bulgaria.

My Romanian barber is thinking of going back to Romania as there's better prospects there.

Anyone seen this? Blimey. Sounds like an act of treason that our government at the time gave power to unelected people in Europe.
Watched the first couple of mins and the last couple of mins as its 1am. Rev Simon Sideways who she is asking everyone to watch seems over fond of the far right term 'Cultural Marxism' and is a fan of Tommy Robinson and Steve Bannon. For context.

Watched the first couple of mins and the last couple of mins as its 1am. Rev Simon Sideways who she is asking everyone to watch seems over fond of the far right term 'Cultural Marxism' and is a fan of Tommy Robinson and Steve Bannon. For context.

You might want to watch it all. Very interesting points. Also, I didn't watch anything about Rev Simon Sideways.

Sorry but this video is irrelevant to the main issue ,which is will the UK come to a Brexit deal with the EU by the October deadline or crash out of the EU on WTO terms if there's no deal in March 2019?

PS Her delivery (from notes) is awful.Would certainly have failed the Presentation courses I used to give at the UAB.Far too stilted and slow,no powerpoint slides ,either. :Winking:

Last edited:
Council impact assessments saying food shortages, failure to provide social care, medical shortages, agricultural waste and even civil strife.

Of course these could be allayed if HMG released theirs. They have written them. Europe published their's earlier in the year. I wonder what ours contain??? I wonder why they've not been published.

If they're as bad as the councils then tell us now so we can prepare. Yes I know JRM won't like them as they'll fuel a second referendum discussion.

If they're positive and all this really is just project fear. Then there is nothing to worry about.

So the left wing argument for Brexit. Better terms, conditions and wages for workers. Which is good, and may underline some more wide ranging issues in that particular industry. (until of course this government remove all the protections we have under EU law, as Gove has been championing recently)

https://news.sky.com/story/firms-in-brexit-supply-shock-as-eu-workers-stay-away-11471461

But the downside is going to be more expensive food for the rest of us.

The question of course, still remains, if EU workers aren't coming here where in rural Cambridgeshire et al will a UK based workforce actually come from?

Ggrrr. Another campaign to get a second vote, this time being backed by people with money to burn. And yes, of course, it's always the people that didn't like the result of the first vote. I voted leave, and if the vote was today I would vote to stay, but you can't keep voting until the result goes your way. The country voted, leave the EU won, get on with it. Leave won by 1.4 Million. Of course many Thousands have changed their minds, but that's not the point. As someone on the radio pointed out, If we were forced into a second vote, and the result was changed, then the other side would have every right to then campaign and try and force a third vote. Pathetic.

Then best of 3/5 etc etc...or maybe they could have a game of conkers....best of......Er forget that. :Tumbleweed:

Ggrrr. Another campaign to get a second vote, this time being backed by people with money to burn. And yes, of course, it's always the people that didn't like the result of the first vote. I voted leave, and if the vote was today I would vote to stay, but you can't keep voting until the result goes your way. The country voted, leave the EU won, get on with it. Leave won by 1.4 Million. Of course many Thousands have changed their minds, but that's not the point. As someone on the radio pointed out, If we were forced into a second vote, and the result was changed, then the other side would have every right to then campaign and try and force a third vote. Pathetic.

but it kind of is the point. we're better informed about the realities now. the first referendum was done with lack of insight. a good democracy would recognise this.

So the left wing argument for Brexit. Better terms, conditions and wages for workers. Which is good, and may underline some more wide ranging issues in that particular industry. (until of course this government remove all the protections we have under EU law, as Gove has been championing recently)

https://news.sky.com/story/firms-in-brexit-supply-shock-as-eu-workers-stay-away-11471461

But the downside is going to be more expensive food for the rest of us.

The question of course, still remains, if EU workers aren't coming here where in rural Cambridgeshire et al will a UK based workforce actually come from?

The left wing argument is the very one JC used for over 30 years as a staunch leaver.

The EU puts tariffs on foods from Africa/ South America so if you think of the big wide world out there like us leavers do,then food will cheaper.

How did we ever mange to pick our own fruit and veg before we used slave labour, who are forces by gang masters to live in squalid conditions.....Are yes I remember it well many of us children/ students were happy to earn a few quid after school or in the holidays picking Strawberries, potatoes, peas or mushrooms.

Remember ‘pick your own’ .... Families spending some fun time in the sunshine instead heading to Tesco’s on Sunday.

The left wing argument is the very one JC used for over 30 years as a staunch leaver.

The EU puts tariffs on foods from Africa/ South America so if you think of the big wide world out there like us leavers do,then food will cheaper.

How did we ever mange to pick our own fruit and veg before we used slave labour, who are forces by gang masters to live in squalid conditions.....Are yes I remember it well many of us children/ students were happy to earn a few quid after school or in the holidays picking Strawberries, potatoes, peas or mushrooms.

Remember ‘pick your own’ .... Families spending some fun time in the sunshine instead heading to Tesco’s on Sunday.

Shall we not talk about what might be and the halcyon days of the 1970s? We no longer live in the 1970s, flared trousers are a no no, Noel Edmonds isn't on Radio 1 and deep fried avocado isn't something the "in crowd" eat anymore?

On Thursday the UK will start to issue their Technical Notices, which will be the first part of preparing society for a D1ND scenario. At that point we will all get to see what Government thinking is. I've no inkling as to what they say.

However, I can share this... https://ec.europa.eu/info/brexit/brexit-preparedness/preparedness-notices_en These are the Technical Notices from the EU, explaining how the EU is going to handle a D1ND Brexit. This is how the EU WILL handle the UK if a Transitional Period or a Withdrawl Agreement is not in place.

You can find the information on international trade at the end of the page, under the heading TAXUD. (these are the only ones relevant to the trade discussion)

The one you need to look at is "Preferential rules of origin" - essentially this is techtalk for "Trade Deals". The fourth paragraph makes thing clear... the trade deals wont apply to the UK. To get back to your post, we have 57 different trade deals, including with trading blocs in Central / South America and Africa. (http://ec.europa.eu/trade/policy/countries-and-regions/ is an index page to those deals) People need to understand that it not just goods moving between the UK and EU that are effected. So, food imported from those countries which is currently duty free, but post Brexit will not be as we wont be party to the Trade Deals. Of course the UK has three options.

1. remove tariffs and make everything duty free. We can do this, but we would have to make goods duty free from everywhere - otherwise you contravene WCO rules on favoured nation - and of course we wouldn't get the tax stream from import duty.

2. roll over trade deals. This is HMG's favoured option. However, this is extremely difficult because it means changing all the Rules of Origin (I've explained before how a car made in Sunderland isn't British).

3. Charge duty on what were previously duty free goods and put the price of food up in the process.

Later on in Section 3 it talks about removing UK goods from the rules of origin. This will have a direct effect on UK exporters as their goods may then remove certain products out of trade deals as the Rules of Origin would have changed

The other important document is the one headed "Customs and indirect taxation". This pretty much sets out how the EU will trade with the UK in the future, and its not pretty reading.

Sorry, this is all really technical. Possibly accepting I am in a no win situation and am now likely to be accused of elitism or patronising - if anyone wants any of what is in the EU documents explaining, I'll be happy to do so.

Back