• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bishop's Stortford 0 - 2 Southend United, Saturday 20th July

At last. A summary on the team, trialists and young players rather than how nice the chips were!
It’s difficult to critique players in pre season friendlies as they have limited time on the pitch, plus it’s not competitive football. YB has it pretty much spot on to be fair but it’s all personal opinion anyway..

I thought Waldron looked a bit sluggish and Wood should’ve perhaps done a lot more given the positions he was getting into .. he got probably most shouts/instructions from the Amigos. I still see a v. good player in there but he’s just lacking something .. confidence? (purely my opinion).

Young players looked ok .. Hatcliff eager but had trouble staying on his feet at times and looked lightweight, sure he’ll bulk up in time. Beau a few promising moves and some good positioning, Shobowale looked composed.

Walker looked like he could cause a few teams problems when he’s up to speed. Morton had a strong game. Trialist was ok, did a decent job.

Cardwell/Walker look like maybe the starting pair .. Cav was solid as he always is. Defence were untroubled.

See trialist B still here, 3rd game and presumably training with us. So there’s likely interest on both sides or he would be off elsewhere…

Always difficult to judge players on friendlies and probably what happens in training and off the pitch had a bearing which we don’t see..

A third trial match is unusual - I’m not sure we’ve seen that since maybe Jack Bridge tried to return under Molesley but the embargo meant we couldn’t offer a deal?

However, his first match was with the first team. His second match I think he came on at half time and in this third match he came on with the likes of Shobawale, Piers Hatcliff and Charlie Brown - well after Waldron and Wood (who played LWB for 15 minutes).

That makes me think he’s slipping down the pecking order and just getting minutes now because we’re short of numbers. If he hasn’t offers elsewhere it makes sense for him to hang around and get match practice and maybe get spotted by a club further down the pyramid whilst he’s at it.

Frankly he hasn’t looked up to the (high) standard we’re after. I was surprised so many were impressed by his performance at Wakering. Maybe he’s a defence first player (although he was napping the one time I’ve seen him have to defend) who I just haven’t seen the best of. Or maybe he’s a developmental prospect. However he’s not remotely close to challenging Gus.

I have been wrong about this before with wing backs - I remember my disbelief when we signed Andre Blackman after a trial - so maybe he’s about to sign but I’d be amazed if he sees first team action next season more than a handful of times if he signs. I think Maher is more likely to opt to play a player out of position.

There are loads of different “types” of trialists don’t forget.

Some are with a genuine eye on potentially signing them, be in as a free agent, a potential full time signing or even a loan signing.

Some we want to see with our own eyes, and up close, how they interact with the group, how they feel about us, the intensity of training and so forth.

Some are to do an agent/player a favour I.e. whilst we are discussing X, I have Y who could do a job for you why not take a look.

Some are purely to protect our first team players. Kev & Co will sit down and work out how they build up players minutes, so 45 minutes in game 1, 60 in game 2, 75 game 3, 90 minutes game for for example. To do that, you have to have enough players to allow everyone 45 in game one and not “overcook” them and so forth. Same for game 2, game 3 etc.

So, not every trialist we take on is with a view to signing. But it’s good fun working out who these players are.

A third trial match is unusual - I’m not sure we’ve seen that since maybe Jack Bridge tried to return under Molesley but the embargo meant we couldn’t offer a deal?

However, his first match was with the first team. His second match I think he came on at half time and in this third match he came on with the likes of Shobawale, Piers Hatcliff and Charlie Brown - well after Waldron and Wood (who played LWB for 15 minutes).

That makes me think he’s slipping down the pecking order and just getting minutes now because we’re short of numbers. If he hasn’t offers elsewhere it makes sense for him to hang around and get match practice and maybe get spotted by a club further down the pyramid whilst he’s at it.

Frankly he hasn’t looked up to the (high) standard we’re after. I was surprised so many were impressed by his performance at Wakering. Maybe he’s a defence first player (although he was napping the one time I’ve seen him have to defend) who I just haven’t seen the best of. Or maybe he’s a developmental prospect. However he’s not remotely close to challenging Gus.

I have been wrong about this before with wing backs - I remember my disbelief when we signed Andre Blackman after a trial - so maybe he’s about to sign but I’d be amazed if he sees first team action next season more than a handful of times if he signs. I think Maher is more likely to opt to play a player out of position.
Yeah I thought he was OK today but not a patch on Gus, makes you realise how lucky we are to have Gus really.

Andre Blackman…. One of the worst players I’ve ever seen in a Southend shirt in my 30 plus years. I remember that cup game where he just gave up chasing the opposition winger and stood puffing on the touchline, he was so unfit is was unbelievable. Thankfully those days of taking a chance on players without proper scouting are behind us.

On the other hand Leonard and Coker were signed after pre-season trials, so there are some gems to be found.

Reactions: fbm
I have it on very good authority ( and I am a definite ITK here... wey hey) that the reason we signed Blackman was the money he was on, and I know how much that was

Yeah I thought he was OK today but not a patch on Gus, makes you realise how lucky we are to have Gus really.
Gus is quality but this is a really good squad.

These are all players who have the ability to not just play NL but the level above (not necessarily as starters but at least as squad depth). They are to a man comfortable on the ball, can receive passes under pressure etc. A squad formed in the image of their manager.

The likes of Callum Powell, James Dunne, Terrell Egbri etc who were triers but lacked the quality have been weeded out. They might be able to play NL football but their touch and ability wasn’t of the requisite standard to play Maherball.

Of course a squad still needs balance, depth etc (and depth is definitely missing) but the baseline ability on the ball of this squad is as good as I’ve seen in all my years following Southend. We may have had better teams but none so comfortable on the ball from top to bottom.

That would dilute the money too much for them. The food trucks that come will want to make as much as they can and not have it split 6 ways or they’d do other things. Festivals/events want their cake and to eat it, wanting a pitch fee and % of revenue these days. For me a simple revenue split is fair. Fans win, clubs win and food trucks win. Then it’s down to food trucks to manage their margins and the club gets their big cut for providing space, trust and the clientele.
Get that, but I was more thinking enough at different stands, and enough to have people not queuing.

Are we missing Fonguck?
He was quality on the ball but Maher never liked him,retained far worse but we know he doesn’t like skilful players. His shooting was atrocious but had plenty of pluses. If ya face don’t fit with Maher then may as well move on as he has

He was quality on the ball but Maher never liked him,retained far worse but we know he doesn’t like skilful players. His shooting was atrocious but had plenty of pluses. If ya face don’t fit with Maher then may as well move on as he has
I take it you dont like Maher , perhaps you would prefer we got Brown or M& M or even Bond back.

As a Southend fan who lives near Bishop's Stortford, for those who've never been before, just to advise there is nowhere at all to drink around the ground (except in the ground itself) unless you fancy a long walk.
went in the belgium brewery place 15 mins walk away

I take it you dont like Maher , perhaps you would prefer we got Brown or M& M or even Bond back.
Maher is ok but has his favourites that are normally the negative types that never get replaced. Wes offered something different but as he was the first one to be subbed most times it was fairly obvious he would be the first to go. He’s not a fan of Wood either imo, watch this space!

Maher is ok but has his favourites that are normally the negative types that never get replaced. Wes offered something different but as he was the first one to be subbed most times it was fairly obvious he would be the first to go. He’s not a fan of Wood either imo, watch this space!

Thats because he was the first one who WANTED to come off every time. He couldn't last more than 65 because he was even lazy in the pre-match warm ups.

He would deliberately slow down and give up after 60 whilst constantly looking at the bench. One time as the board was going up he was half way off before he realised to his horror, it wasn't him coming off.

Morton is much better player all round and can cross and shoot better than Wes. So glad Maher knows this, fans who haven't got a clue really shouldn't slag him.

You're kidding of course!
"We know he doesn't like skilful players? Really?
If so, which skilful players are we wilfully hanging on to? And if so, how stupid of the National League manager of the season.

Last edited:
The problem was that he only showed his abilities in fleeting moments and became more of a passenger for the remainder. His assist / chances created numbers are hardly great and, as you said yourself, his shooting poor. I think we are looking to build a team that would hold its own in L2 should we get there, and don’t think Wes has that ability, and to be fair he hasn’t gone to one of the leading NL sides which tells its own story

We do need one more RWB, similar to Gus, so we can rotate both of them and we can keep the quality level up. I am sure their will be a point in the season that Gus would want to rest up if he picked up an niggle strains that take few days to recover.

Thats because he was the first one who WANTED to come off every time. He couldn't last more than 65 because he was even lazy in the pre-match warm ups.

He would deliberately slow down and give up after 60 whilst constantly looking at the bench. One time as the board was going up he was half way off before he realised to his horror, it wasn't him coming off.

Morton is much better player all round and can cross and shoot better than Wes. So glad Maher knows this, fans who haven't got a clue really shouldn't slag him.
Agree that Morton will be decent given game time.

Back