• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bishop's Stortford 0 - 2 Southend United, Saturday 20th July

Wood should’ve perhaps done a lot more given the positions he was getting into .. he got probably most shouts/instructions from the Amigos. I still see a v. good player in there but he’s just lacking something .. confidence? (purely my opinion).
When he first came on there was a clear header he should have made in midfield. It would have hurt a little but nothing that a braver under 10 wouldn’t get his head to. So I agree there is something missing - it could just be that bit of bravery or willingness to do something where he may get hurt.

He was quality on the ball but Maher never liked him,retained far worse but we know he doesn’t like skilful players. His shooting was atrocious but had plenty of pluses. If ya face don’t fit with Maher then may as well move on as he has

Maher was a big fan of Wes actually. Maher loved all the players that have been with us, which includes Wes.

Wes was frustrating, as he had the talent. But if he could apply that on a regular basis he’d have never played here and would be much higher up the food chain, same as all the players at this level.

Maher was a big fan of Wes actually. Maher loved all the players that have been with us, which includes Wes.

Wes was frustrating, as he had the talent. But if he could apply that on a regular basis he’d have never played here and would be much higher up the food chain, same as all the players at this level.
Wes was great at drifting into that bit of space between the lines and had enough about him to take it past a man or hold the ball up. His “numbers” weren’t great though and I for one never used to get excited when he got into those positions as it rarely felt anything would come from it. But he stuck around during the “troubles” and despite his flaws was good enough for the level we are at, if not the next.

Morton has a bit more about him. That left foot is exceptional and certainly yesterday with walkers movement it caused problems. It’s difficult to tell whether that will be a similar story vs better opposition. But he’s a different type of player to Wes too - he plays much deeper.

I get the impression they were just sick of shouting at wes all game to put more effort in. They demand 90 minutes of press and concentration, thats how you win games.

I get the impression they were just sick of shouting at wes all game to put more effort in. They demand 90 minutes of press and concentration, thats how you win games.

I’ve mentioned this before, but Wes was offered a deal, Kev & co rate him, but the deal was reflective on the role they saw him having this season.

Wes decided to try elsewhere and good luck to him.

Kev is desperate for a creative midfielder, and it looks like he’d probably have taken Wes’ spot in the side.

Told you it was a great set up - hope those of you who hadn't been before enjoyed the visit. Food was immense for a football ground, even if we did have to wait half an hour for it, despite going 15 mins before half time!

First half was pretty much first choice XI, Harry Taylor was chatting to people - the cut on his head looks pretty horrific, but hopefully he'll be ok for when the season starts. Be interested to see where the Amigos see him fitting in, because, let's not forget, he was a defensive midfielder converted to a CB last season. Nathan came off because he said he didn't feel right, so, precautionary we have to hope. Morton coming on made quite a difference, he can pick a lovely pass and fill the Fonguck role more productively imho.

I've expected to see much more from Walker with the kind of glowing accolades he had, and yes, he's scored two (both penalties which he's won), so I hope it is just that he is still feeling his feet and getting to know his colleagues. Definitely looks a prospect but not sure he works with Cardwell just yet - more so with Waldron I think.

Defence weren't massively troubled yesterday but Collin did have to make a couple of really good saves - thought Crowther was a little off the pace early on, but that may have been because he was pacing himself for a whole match ahead - the only one to do so.

Thought Beau MacDonald and Piers Hatcliff were the standouts from the youngsters. Hatcliff reminded me of a cross between a young Kevan Hurst and Conor Clifford.

Good to see so many happy Blues' supporters, everyone relaxed and with big smiles!

I would venture 'regular' is the most important talent, and Wes didn't have it.
Former manager Mickey Adams told me the difference between a Prem player and one from the lower divisions, and he managed in both, was the top dog did it every week; the lesser did so occasionally.

I’ve mentioned this before, but Wes was offered a deal, Kev & co rate him, but the deal was reflective on the role they saw him having this season.

Wes decided to try elsewhere and good luck to him.

Kev is desperate for a creative midfielder, and it looks like he’d probably have taken Wes’ spot in the side.
Interesting to read Wes' quotes in the echo on Friday. Sounds like he may have been waiting for a decision on an improved offer compared to the one he was originally offered at the end of the season.

“I was waiting on a decision from Southend but the deadline was missed so I had to look for something else for myself.

“I couldn’t keep on waiting and it was sad.

“Being honest I probably would’ve done another year but you never know what’s going to happen next in football.

“I had to look after myself and couldn’t just wait.”

Fonguck has been with Ebbsfleet since the start of pre-season training.

And he is keen to help Danny Searle’s side build on their strong end to the previous campaign.

“The gaffer has made it clear he wants to push on from last season,” said Fonguck.

“When he came in last season they had a good record and he wants to go from strength to strength now.

“We’re excited and lets see where we can go.

“The interest they showed in me was very pleasing.

“I was happy to be wanted and there wasn’t much to think about.”

But Fonguck is leaving the Shrimpers with mostly fond memories.

“The players I love and I’ve been in touch with the majority of them,” said Fonguck.

“It was an interesting journey and there were a lot of things I wasn’t used to prior to coming to Southend.

“I feel like I’ve made a lot of friends for life.

“The fans are amazing too and I think they’re the best in the league.

“I’ll have some good memories from my time at Southend and also some times that I never want to have to remember again.”

Back