• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot 0-0 Southend Utd

The way we are attacking at the moment is not commonplace. It is really poor. Tonight you felt the Aldershot defence could have come off the pitch for 10 minutes and we would still have failed to find the final ball.

I think some fans think this is a result of Kevin Maher's style of football. It isn't. It's a lack of confidence, a lack of cohesion and players playing within themselves. Ultimately, Kev has to carry the can for that, but there's no doubt in my mind we go out every week to try and win the game. At the moment, for a wide variety of reasons, it is not happening in the final third of the pitch and I am sure the management team is as frustrated about that as we are.
it's also a lack of consistency and a lack of quality (of player) - both of which you fail to mention

Thought we did really well, with some neat , ,attractive football, dominating after 10 minutes and finishing the match strongly, which was very pleasing to see
Still suffering from a smallish squad syndrome
Disappointed to see Kev seemingly go for the point in the end, removing 2 forwards to bring on Bonne upfront alone, Can Bonne et to 20 games before scoring, which would normally mean waving goodbye.
After a stunning performance by Wind, was annoyed he didnt get 20 minutes, even if relieving Gus or almost anyone actually as he can also pose a threat going forward
Would have like to see have seen Wood come on with Bonne, rather than a usual, save the point mode
However another excellent clean sheet cant be underestimated , especially seeing the growing trio of Taylor, Crowther and Gubbins and on another day , we would have had a bit more luck fall our way in front of goal
Thought Noor had a much better game, actually showing more pace, movement and control, but expect that comment wont go down that well
Opinions, Opinions !!

I think we have the quality up top, we just need to build up a bit quicker. I feel like we often build up slowly giving the opposition time to get back in their shape, which in turn makes it harder to create clear chances. If you look at the teams at the top of the division, they all attack at pace
Spot on. Is there any successful football team in history at any level who hasn't scored goals with fast play or on the counter attack? When have we done that? Our players intentionally slow play and take the safe pass to avoid risk of losing possession at all cost.

Spot on. Is there any successful football team in history at any level who hasn't scored goals with fast play or on the counter attack? When have we done that? Our players intentionally slow play and take the safe pass to avoid risk of losing possession at all cost.
Thing is I don’t think that’s a Southend thing. Not that I watch Premier or Championship football but this seems to be flavour of the month. Apart from the money factor it’s one of the reasons I stopped watching top level football.

Just home. Can’t say we are too disappointed with a point. The performance overall was good and we played better than we did Saturday but against weaker opposition. Aldershot really looked average at best. We bossed the game apart from the odd breakaway by them. Only criticism on the night was we didn’t test their keeper enough. Many times the middle of the park opened up and rather than shoot we tried a pass. We created some decent half chances and many of these were the other end in the second half so tough to comment on how good they were. But there are positives. Bim again played well, thought Morton again kept the ball moving and the back three now look a proper unit. That’s three away games unbeaten in a row with a clean sheet. It does feel like we are turning a corner as a team, just need to find that goal scoring touch. As per usual the travelling Shrimpers didn’t stop singing, 539 of us there, good effort with horrendous travelling to get to the game. Mom Taylor, faultless performance

So Bonne is all up top on his own (it will be all his fault, keyboards spittle covered) but what is the root of this Southend 0 disease that is now years old… it’s a good performance but toothless., actually gumless..
Here you go.
Here's the answer and what Maher alluded to when he said "I know what to do".
8 defensive players.
I love the optimism around clean sheets which to be frank shows how desperate we are
Relying on 3 attacking players to score a goal.
Doesn't matter how dominant we are playing this team setup won't give us goals.
We rely on - as I've said before - set pieces and moments of inspiration not on team attacking momentum.
I'm officially bored.

Screenshot_20241024-082821.png

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back