• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot 0-0 Southend Utd

Technique, technique, technique.
Control from Bim and Josh was piddle poor. Yeah, I know they put themselves about, but can think of at least five times between them the ball just bounced off and away.
That posing bit on the edge of the box isn't going to shift a defender either.
And yeah, winning a header in the box? Not with this side.
I hope Harry's happy at FGR, ahem...
Should be happy with an away point and third clean sheet, but not that much...

Frustrated is the word, definitely not disappointed. Another clean sheet, Crowther looking more and more confident each week and looking more solid as a unit.

Game changed a lot when Coker went off. He is the only midfielder who is willing to shoot. As soon as he goes off and when he was missing through injury, we lacked any goal threat from midfield.

I also felt sorry for Kev, having to replace Pepple and Walker with Bridge and Bonne. He keeps alluding to needing to swap his front two in games, but due to circumstances, that's the two that are coming on. The striker department has to be addressed. Ralph put a fantastic cross across the 6 yard box in the second half and Bonne barely moved.

Overall, we have to be content with 2 wins and a draw and three clean sheets after 3 away games. We have to back it up with a win at home Saturday and 7 points from 9 will look good. Utb!

I'm getting fed up of this side to side, no one wanting to take the game on attitude. A fair few times tonight we got into some decent situations in the box or near the box and the ball was like a hot potato " you have it, no you have it" just continuous side passing.

We really lack leaders, no boss in midfield, I think the strikers get very little chance to shine as unless they play on the touch line. They won't get a touch as nothing ever goes forward or in the centre.

Only positive for me was that imperious last ditch Crowther tackle right at the beginning and the fact that back 3 have started to look like they have am understanding. Apart from that, absolute dog

Can't score with two mobile strikers so we end up with one that appears to be new to the game of football. Three consecutive clean sheets and only two goals, both fortunate, scored. Looking more like a unit for two thirds of the pitch but we need to change the emphasis and go for goals. We will fall short of points again, not due to lack of ability or effort, but due to our style.

A golden opportunity wasted. The defence was brilliant for the third game in a row. Even more solid this time as Collin didn't have to make a save. Taylor giving Gus a run for P.O.T.S. Gus not quite on his game, a few bad first touches and not as clinical with his shots and headers at goal. Crowther and Gubbins improving. Ralphy nearly gave them a goal at the start. We must improve on corners. We had over ten I think, but most were wasted. KAF looked the most likely to unlock their defence when he came on. At least he goes forward at pace with the ball, unlike our other midfielders. Even their commentators said Southend dominated and should have won. Oh well, at least we are unbeaten in 3 now. On to the next game.

Even when there is movement off the ball, we lack the footballing intelligence to exploit it.

Prime example with Noor making a shocking pass behind Walker, when JW was dragging a defender away to create space.
If they moved a bit off the ball, the space would be bigger for the passes to be played. You are right though, we don't have those players who can see it....

How the **** have we not won that game?

Can't remember the last time I saw us so utterly dominant in possession and territory, and not win. Aldershot will be ecstatic with a point there.

Some really poor decision making and movement in the final third, and trying to walk the ball in, hurt us, and we couldn't seem to threaten from all our corners either.

So frustrating, because we looked really good and moved the ball well and with tempo.....until we entered the final third. Our passing angles and patterns of play were good, we played out from the back competently and often played through Aldershot's high press, but just wasted it when we got anywhere near their penalty area.

Still.....it's not a loss, it's another clean sheet, and we looked very solid. Big improvement to a couple of weeks ago. Clearly some good work on the training pitch getting newbies used to the way we're playing, and I think that bodes well for when the football department manage to strengthen the squad.

Totally dominated majority of the play. Fantastic in 3/4 quarters of the pitch, kept the ball well always looking to pass and move. On the flip side we were very poor in the final quarter. We are so risk adverse it must be drilled into them. The players seem petrified to make a forward run in the box, take on a man or have a shot outside the box (apart from Coker). Not confident the answers are with what we have now.

I think what I find most frustrating is the set pieces. People talk about opening teams up and whilst that's nice to do, not many teams do. Your bread and butter is scoring from set pieces. Look at our game against Maidenhead. It was an even game but they scored from two set pieces and it looks like a comfortable win. How on earth can we have that many corners and not even get our heads on more than one?! It's been going on far too long and it's not exclusive to Maher's tenure either. Even last season when we had the best defense, teams would get at least 1 free header in every match against us. We can't even get that. Why is it so bad? It's an unbelievable, borderline unacceptable, mystery.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back