• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot 0-0 Southend Utd

A frustrating night all round which sadly mirrors so many previous games. Absolutely bossed it from start to finish, but for all our endeavours we couldn’t find a winner.

Positives, it’s another clean sheet. The reality is Aldershot could have played all night and not scored against us.

Negatives, well for all that dominance it’s unfathomable we have come away with a measly point.

Over to you….
We are a very well organised unit with no flair , just imagine if you were an aldershot fan , their only chance came in the first minute through a mistake . They only had one corner I can remember ?
Oh for a striker like Harry Cardwell

I think what I find most frustrating is the set pieces. People talk about opening teams up and whilst that's nice to do, not many teams do. Your bread and butter is scoring from set pieces. Look at our game against Maidenhead. It was an even game but they scored from two set pieces and it looks like a comfortable win. How on earth can we have that many corners and not even get our heads on more than one?! It's been going on far too long and it's not exclusive to Maher's tenure either. Even last season when we had the best defense, teams would get at least 1 free header in every match against us. We can't even get that. Why is it so bad? It's an unbelievable, borderline unacceptable, mystery.
Agree set pieces are dreadful and have been for some time. In my opinion it's mainly down to the balls in the box. Majority of the balls in tonight didn't beat the first man. Something which surely can be worked in training but we look like a pub team when we get one.

We woz better than them at everything except scoring goals. We has kept anover clean duvet and we has got a point. End of report.:Dim:

So we won at Eastleigh with a goal in added time that their keeper let squirm in through his hands, we scored at Rochdale in added time with a ball that bounced of Walker's shin after his first air shot and tonight against a team that hardly had a kick we created absolutely nothing of any quality.

You could stick Haaland and Kane up front and we wouldn’t create a decent chance for them. Everything is so slow and laboured - it just lets them get everyone between the ball and their goal and keep them there. By the time we get to their box there are 8 or 9 defenders plus the keeper.

Entertainment it wasn’t. Everything is so risk averse. We never keep anyone up when defending corners. Keeping the ball maybe be great but it’s not what win games.

Even though keeping clean sheets ( despite Ralph’s worst efforts) is a foundation we are not going to win anything playing this way.

We are 2 decent strikers and 2 decent attack minded midfielders from being up there. Keenan could be one of them given a run in the team. Miley or Morton at the base of midfield to keep the ball moving but the others have to be forward thinking. Up front more movement and quality finishers

The plus side:

Looked completely dominant
Solid defensively
Another clean sheet
3 unbeaten

Negatives.

Just don't look like there are goals in this side and nobody just wants to put the boot through it.
Still appear very short in certain areas but dont look like signing anyone.

On to Tamworth and a game with more pressure to win after tonight's draw..
Could not agree more

I thought Morton had a good game a recycled alot of possession. Coker did well and tried to drive forward whenever he could.

For me I'd replace Husin, with a more creative attacking midfielder, that we are badly lacking.

Strikers fed of very little, especially from open play.

After seeing how the first half panned out, I'd have bought on KAF at HT replaced Husin and then, if the yellow was the reason for taking Pepple off replaced him with Bonne later in the game, but kept 2 up front.

The back three never had much to deal with, apart from Ralph's God awful back pass in the first minute. Crowther takes huge credit for what turned out to be a point saving tackle and not giving up, when everyone watching expected Aldershot to go one up.

We huffed and puffed but created no clear cut chances. Their keeper was only really tested once and full length diving save to his right for one of many corners.

The midfield needs rebuilding, as it's the same as last season, only without the efforts of Harry being a willing runner and giving opposition defences something to think about in every game and chasing lost causes, it is exposed as lethargic, slow, plodding and clueless in the creativity and service producing departments for those playing in front of it.

Great in principle to win at home and draw away, BUT if this team goes a goal down, you really have no confidence that they have the nous and ability to come back. Especially if the opposition shuts up shop.

I'm still concentrating more on the bottom of the league, than looking upwards, as the teams below us, apart from the bottom two, as scoring goals.

We need to beat Tamworth on Saturday and we go above them on goal difference, but we need to start creating opportunities and little triangles on the edge of the opponents box, or from throws and short corners aren't working for us and give no end product at the moment.

Tonight's match, apart from the first minute the defence had nothing to speak of, so Collin, Harry Crowths and Gubbins get a bang on average 6

Gus also gets a 6, can't fault the effort, but needs to concentrate much more on first touch and stop shooting into a body no more than 3 foot in front of him, frustrated or not.

Ralph gets a 5, got forward well, but loses a point for that shocking back pass and owes Crowther a pint for bailing him out.

Morton, Husin, Coker also get 6's. Dominated midfield won back possession and created naff all for the strikers or themselves to unlock the defence in front of them.

Pepple and Walker, when all you can do is chase things down and live off scraps and they did it they also get a 6 for the effort they put in for no reward all night.

Maher as much as I like him, for seeing us so much in control and not making any imaginative changes to try and get something tangible from an opposition that were very limited in their ability, 4

Onto Saturday and hopefully more productive performance. 7 points out of the week is not to be sniffed at, but January and the hope of fresh blood cannot come soon enough.

Last edited:
It's a shame their keeper wasn't man of the match - that's the only way Shots deserved anything after a totally dominant performance from us. But as others have said our lack of shots on target has cost us 2 points.

But draw your aways and win at home and your champions - work on the latter on Sat.

Three games, with two away, was may be an excuse for a below par performance, which the best we can say is that we didn't concede again. In truth, Aldershot can take some of the blame for that. They were really poor and there for the taking, if only we could have shown more sharpness and threat in the final third. The hosts did look more threatening following their three substitutions in the second-half..........but not that much more! Did they have a shot on target? Did Collin have to make a save??? As with the commentator, I lost count of the amount of corners we had, all to no avail. Taking Pepple and Walker off and replacing them with Bonne (who, sadly, is still far from 'bon') was a strange one........had we decided to settle for a point??? From being not clinical, we then became toothless and for all the effort, the huffing and puffing, we didn't really look like scoring, did we?
One of the down sides of watching York v Barnet last night is that you realise the gulf we have to bridge to be considered as promotion contenders. The game last night was between two high flying sides whilst tonight it looked like two middle of the table triers. OK, we were far the better side but, tonight, we still lacked that bit of quality which differentiates the front runners from the also rans. Going back tothe York game, if we had Pearce up front would we have won?...........most probably. The positives? We haven't conceded in three tough looking away fixtures , of which we won two. We have, on paper, what looks to be a winnable home game on Saturday. The season still has a long long way to go.

I think we have the quality up top, we just need to build up a bit quicker. I feel like we often build up slowly giving the opposition time to get back in their shape, which in turn makes it harder to create clear chances. If you look at the teams at the top of the division, they all attack at pace

I didn't see it as us being dominant. Plenty of passes and 3yd keep ball in the corners don't count in my world. Their keeper had one save to make and he made meal of that, just like everything else he did.

Zero threat on corners, players checking out instead of turning and looking to hurt and wanted to pass instead of shoot. Its not 2 points dropped, you have to be winning at some stage to do that.

Some of Husin's passing was shockingly poor and a pedantic ref added to the frustration. I have always said 0-0 should be no points to either team just so the punters would get real value in the last 15. On the plus side to was Aldershot.....We dint lose and the floodlights didn't fail. On to Saturday and lets break this home losing streak.

When was the last time we had a player who could run with the ball and past defenders. Maher doesn't seem to like pace. As for our set pieces I would pay a premium for a defender who can attack the ball and someone who can put it in the danger area. We have too many similar players who are much of a muchness they do a little bit of this a little bit of that but nothing to a high degree.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back