• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Aldershot 0-0 Southend Utd

I'm gettin a bit ****ed off with the perpetual love in with KM on SZ.Ultimately he's in charge of the team.Even KM admits " there wasn't enough end product" And so say all of us,
Some will defend him to the end of the earth.

You can see a clear message of recycle the ball at all costs. It’s infuriating.

Kev is one of these coaches who has come through with the ideology that football should be played the Pep way. It simply doesn’t work at all levels. The players down here down have the composure, ability or mental fortitude to execute it, however much you coach them. For what it’s worth I think Kev would probably be a better manager up the pyramid in terms of style.

I think we looked okay tonight, but mainly because Aldershot were so poor. Same with Saturday, I think we’ve just got away with it because the other teams just weren’t at the races.

SOUTHEND United were unable to turn their pressure into more than a point at Aldershot Town tonight.

The Shrimpers were on top for the most of the evening but could not convert the chances coming their way as the game ended goalless.

Aldershot’s best opportunity came at the start of the evening when Nathan Ralph’s underhit backpass was latched onto by Kai Corbett but his cross was superbly cut out by Adam Crowther.

Blues soon hit back with Oli Coker sending a well struck 30 yard inches wide of the right post before Josh Walker opted against giving the ball to the onrushing midfielder before seeing a 20 yard shot blocked by Rollin Menayese.

Moments later, Walker’s header from Coker’s cross was easily held by Aldershot goalkeeper Marcus Dewhurst and, with the Shrimpers still looking to go in front, Noor Husin sent a left footed shot wide of the right post from long range.

With 25 minutes on the clock, Gus Scott-Morriss – who was back in the team after serving a one match suspension – headed over a swerving free-kick from James Morton before an off balance Crowther headed James Morton’s left wing corner off target.

After the break, the Shrimpers came to going in front when Joe Gubbins’ left wing cross picked out Scott-Morriss only for the wing-back to see his downward header impressively saved low down to his right hand side by Dewhurst.

In a bid to get into the game, Aldershot made a trio of changes just before the hour mark with Josh Barrett, Hady Ghandour and James Henry all entering the action before Blues soon made an alteration of their own with Jack Bridge taking the place of Coker in midfield.

After the changes the Shrimpers threatened next with Walker misplacing a pass to Bridge when well placed before Bridge saw a low 20 yard shot smothered by Dewhurst.

Walker then headed an inviting right wing cross from Scott-Morriss wide of the target at the near post before Blues boss Kevin Maher made a double change in the 74th minute with Macauley Bonne replacing Walker and Keenan Appiah-Forson coming on for Pepple.

Immediately after the changes, an inviting left wing cross from Nathan Ralph flew across the face of goal and, just moments later, Bonne’s downward header from James Morton’s right wing corner was collected by Dewhurst.

The Aldershot shot-stopper then easily held a back post header from Scott-Morriss before Husin and Scott-Morriss both saw shots blocked in front of goal.

Joe Gubbins then saw a header deflected wide of the right post as the Shrimpers had to settle for a point in a game they dominated for large spells.

I think what I find most frustrating is the set pieces. People talk about opening teams up and whilst that's nice to do, not many teams do. Your bread and butter is scoring from set pieces. Look at our game against Maidenhead. It was an even game but they scored from two set pieces and it looks like a comfortable win. How on earth can we have that many corners and not even get our heads on more than one?! It's been going on far too long and it's not exclusive to Maher's tenure either. Even last season when we had the best defense, teams would get at least 1 free header in every match against us. We can't even get that. Why is it so bad? It's an unbelievable, borderline unacceptable, mystery.
We need an attacking third and set play coach imo.

Aldershot were a below average side and we played around them. Thought back 3 (Taylor in particular was very good), Morton ran the show, with neat touches around players and passing range and Pepple great hold up play bringing everyone into it. Lack cutting edge around the box. Missed a cardwell or a born goal scorer. Saw Bonne for first time, after reading a lot about him. Good movement, worked hard, there is something there, will we see it? Who knows.

Frustrated is the word, definitely not disappointed. Another clean sheet, Crowther looking more and more confident each week and looking more solid as a unit.

Game changed a lot when Coker went off. He is the only midfielder who is willing to shoot. As soon as he goes off and when he was missing through injury, we lacked any goal threat from midfield.

I also felt sorry for Kev, having to replace Pepple and Walker with Bridge and Bonne. He keeps alluding to needing to swap his front two in games, but due to circumstances, that's the two that are coming on. The striker department has to be addressed. Ralph put a fantastic cross across the 6 yard box in the second half and Bonne barely moved.

Overall, we have to be content with 2 wins and a draw and three clean sheets after 3 away games. We have to back it up with a win at home Saturday and 7 points from 9 will look good. Utb!
Sorry for Kev? I want him to succeed but hell he needs to think more. Husin should not be getting the minutes he is. Yes he brought on Bridge and Bonne. Why not Wood and Bonne. Wood looks more like a striker than Bridge and definitely can work the right side better than Bridge. Forson needs longer on the pitch end of. You feel sorry for him and I feel sorry for the team. Too many bad decisions.

Sorry for Kev? I want him to succeed but hell he needs to think more. Husin should not be getting the minutes he is. Yes he brought on Bridge and Bonne. Why not Wood and Bonne. Wood looks more like a striker than Bridge and definitely can work the right side better than Bridge. Forson needs longer on the pitch end of. You feel sorry for him and I feel sorry for the team. Too many bad decisions.
Have you been over the training ground watching him consistently impress the coaching team, then?

I've seen him come on and tear it up once, but otherwise he just hasn't taken his chances. I highly suspect that had the club conducted the sort of summer transfer business that Maher hoped for, Wood would be out on loan in the NL Regional divisions right now. As it is, we need the numbers.

I felt sorry for him because had he got the players we should have got if it not for the embargo, he wouldn't be looking at Bonne and Bridge as his striking options.

Agreed on Appiah. Thought he needed to come on and actually felt Moncur would have made a difference had he been fit.

Fact is, Cards plays tonight and we win comfortably. Such a hard player to replace, especially as such short notice.

We are 2 decent strikers and 2 decent attack minded midfielders from being up there. Keenan could be one of them given a run in the team. Miley or Morton at the base of midfield to keep the ball moving but the others have to be forward thinking. Up front more movement and quality finishers
We’ve been saying that season after season…I assume it’s not that easy…regrettably…

Have you been over the training ground watching him consistently impress the coaching team, then?

I've seen him come on and tear it up once, but otherwise he just hasn't taken his chances. I highly suspect that had the club conducted the sort of summer transfer business that Maher hoped for, Wood would be out on loan in the NL Regional divisions right now. As it is, we need the numbers.
I expected the usual suspects to come to Kev's defence. What is clear is he has tried things time and time again, making the usual changes, and come up short. Again. Wood did well when he was brought on this year and also supplied an assist from the right. Maybe he ain't king of the training ground, maybe he hasn't shown enough on match days, but he has shown ability and never gets a run in the side. Unlike Husin who is below par and Bonne that has had plenty of opportunities but still contributed less than Wood. Kev has proved beyond any doubt in my mind that he is better at selection and setting up for clean sheets but is woeful at sorting the attack and using the squad intelligently. I'm sure you will tell me I'm wrong but I feel justified by the evidence.

I had us down for a point before the game - not a lousy performance though.Goals win games -everyone knows that but not KM it would seem.
Our style has seen us score plenty of goals last season and the one before. It's the personnel that is struggling this time around.

There's absolutely no doubt we were trying to win that game, as we do every game. It's just the quality in the final third that lacks.

Bridge and Noor being off form is killing us, Walker I think has goals in him but the service just wasn't there tonight, the final ball is poor every time and we really lack confidence going forward.

I think given how many poor goals we had conceded in the first couple of months of the season, we've tried to go back to basics and we did look very tidy tonight. Aldershot barely had a sniff, because we kept the ball very well. That is one half of the kind of football Maher and co want to play. The other half, the incisiveness in attack, is completely missing at the moment.

Hope we do better Saturday or I think the peasants will be revolting.
After three away games and three clean sheets I suspect the peasants will indeed be revolting if they are revolting.

Swift edit... having said that if we fail to beat Tamworth, Maidenhead, Sutton and Gateshead in successive home games it's not great is it, I will say that.

So Coker was by far the best player and he gets hauled off. Husin yet again is anonymous but is immovable! Kaf yet again doesn’t get a start but as soon as he comes on things liven up with his driving forward…..sorry but the manager just amazes me with all his stubborn , negative, face fitting selections, will never get better than very average under him!!!

This is commonplace in lower level football.
The way we are attacking at the moment is not commonplace. It is really poor. Tonight you felt the Aldershot defence could have come off the pitch for 10 minutes and we would still have failed to find the final ball.

I think some fans think this is a result of Kevin Maher's style of football. It isn't. It's a lack of confidence, a lack of cohesion and players playing within themselves. Ultimately, Kev has to carry the can for that, but there's no doubt in my mind we go out every week to try and win the game. At the moment, for a wide variety of reasons, it is not happening in the final third of the pitch and I am sure the management team is as frustrated about that as we are.

So Coker was by far the best player and he gets hauled off. Husin yet again is anonymous but is immovable! Kaf yet again doesn’t get a start but as soon as he comes on things liven up with his driving forward…..sorry but the manager just amazes me with all his stubborn , negative, face fitting selections, will never get better than very average under him!!!
Coker I agree needs to start when fit but he's returning to fitness after 2 months out. KAF should start ahead of Husin on Saturday for me. Injects something different and Husin slows things down at the moment, he's lacking in confidence.

ShrimperZone Sponsors

FFM MSPFX Foreign Exchange Services
Estuary MFF2
Zone Advertisers Zone Advertisers

ShrimperZone - SUFC Player Sponsorship

Southend United Away Travel

All At Sea Fanzine

Back