• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Alan McCormack Signs

Isn’t this what everyone also then moans about?
Signing ex players and older journeymen players on for more than there fair share of £
He's slightly different though imo. Ex player, and played a lot of football at this level. He's not some premiership **** looking for an easy ride and some golf. I almost see him in a mentoring/coaching role. Need a winners mentality about the squad, as currently nowone in our squad has won anything.

He's slightly different though imo. Ex player, and played a lot of football at this level. He's not some premiership **** looking for an easy ride and some golf. I almost see him in a mentoring/coaching role. Need a winners mentality about the squad, as currently nowone in our squad has won anything.
From what little I saw last season and who NTFC fans said, seems his legs are gone and he cant last 90 minutes, is that what we need

Don't really see what he adds compared to Demi. Doesn't sound like he has the legs for a long tough season, think he's after one last pay cheque before properly retiring.

He wasn't exactly a role model when with us previously (stag do in the middle of the season, fighting with his teammate on the pitch), so would have concerns about his attitude a bit as well.

However, if he is motivated and still has the legs for midfield then fantastic.

I do despair at times about my club ,will we survive the season. I dont wish to be rude or undermining of McCormack ,but signing him tells me ths club is truly in all sorts of bother both financially and management wise ,and i dont refer to MM when i say management wise.

Look forward to seeing young Alan vs. 38yo Jobi McAnuff later in the year. I dare say the baldy thug will gleefully snap our dreamboat pundit in half... but he’d actually have to catch him first.

I'm certainly not Macca's biggest fan however he is certainly more aligned to the "enforcer" type of midfielder that we've been woefully lacking for many a season compared to the power-puff options currently on the table (including Demi with his chocolate ankles) - irrespective of whether his legs last 45/60/90mins. However I'd like to think that there's an out-of-contract slightly younger combative midfielder (with experience at L2 level) who perhaps still has a full tank to run on before we head down the Macca path once again.

Well you could argue that 10 minutes of a 36 year old mccormack has more fight then all our players combined, but i see your point.
That is a little harsh I thought the youngsters at the end of last season, the team in the friendlies ( for what they are worth) and against Gillingham showed some fight and effort. I am taking Harrogate as a blip as it was way different to what we had seen / read

I asked a Northampton fan and Northampton’s version of Chris Phillips what they thought and they said -

“Take him. I'd have still given him something at Cobblers. You won't get 40+ games from him but when he plays he's still got it. Made a huge difference when in our side.”

“Picked up a couple of muscle injuries that kept him out for a while so only managed around 20 games. Was their best player in almost every one of those, mind! Exceptional signing for a League Two side - if he can stay fit! Worth the risk (imo).”

I asked a Northampton fan and Northampton’s version of Chris Phillips what they thought and they said -

“Take him. I'd have still given him something at Cobblers. You won't get 40+ games from him but when he plays he's still got it. Made a huge difference when in our side.”

“Picked up a couple of muscle injuries that kept him out for a while so only managed around 20 games. Was their best player in almost every one of those, mind! Exceptional signing for a League Two side - if he can stay fit! Worth the risk (imo).”
46 game league season and he played 20, Northampton let hi. Go for. Reason, probably his fitness. While he my still have it (not why I’ve been told), but happy to defer, we need someone who can play at at least two thirds of the game to shepherd the youngsters and to also give us firmness all season in the middle of the pitch. Playing half the games wont help us

46 game league season and he played 20, Northampton let hi. Go for. Reason, probably his fitness. While he my still have it (not why I’ve been told), but happy to defer, we need someone who can play at at least two thirds of the game to shepherd the youngsters and to also give us firmness all season in the middle of the pitch. Playing half the games wont help us

Playing half the games will help us plenty if he’s on rotation with Demi doing the other half. Kind of a job share arrangement :Smile:

We need a player like him in midfield and didn't he also play at CB since leaving us? So can cover there if necessary.

As mentioned above, between him and Demi we can rotate and rest each and always have that experience in the middle.

Can we afford his wages if that's what the deal is going to be? I'm not so sure, though. Big risk but could come with big rewards.

Yes, I can imagine MM was knocking at Ron's door saying, can we please sign Alan McCormack, I've been keeping tabs on him, and he's just the type of player I require.

If he’s asking for half of what Oxley is on, why not? At least he knows what a win looks like. Suppose it depends on finances or even whether MM wants him. He seems very clear about what he wants and doesn’t.

Back