• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread AFC Fylde v Southend United, Tuesday 17th September K/O 7:45pm

Starting XI and result

• Total voters
Yes you can travel by train on the day but why leave it so late to leave? Should have left much earlier in the morning incase something like that happened. It’s poor organisation to really chance it that that particular train will be fine.

If i was a Flyde supporter would've been pretty annoyed game called off for that
Bore off back to the NL South. You don't know anything about the travel details of the team on that day, so your comment is - as usual from you - designed solely to get reactions. You were relegated, not us. Get over it. You're clearly bored though, so hopefully this video will help x

There’s always an element of doubt travelling by road as well. Or air as well, for the flying enthusiasts. Life has risk. You’ll never eliminate it entirely. You make reasonable adjustments (eg plan to arrive two hours before kick off).

50 as players need to get to home games as well as away games and we have cup games as well.
I think you might agree starting 10.18am in London for a 239 mile journey to arrive 2pm latest carries significant more risk than a lift in from Rochford on home match days.
As it was, there was barely an hour's grace had the train arrived on time at Kirkham station.
So, it depends on whether that element of doubt you speak of should be greater or lesser?
How do you classify this risk on a scale of 1-10 given all we know about infrastructure issues and rail worker disputes? Don't dismiss the latter.
Crews unavailable for weekend work usually become manifest on the day itself: not the issue here, but yet another element of 'doubt' ahead of the journey, no?

Bore off back to the NL South. You don't know anything about the travel details of the team on that day, so your comment is - as usual from you - designed solely to get reactions. You were relegated, not us. Get over it. You're clearly bored though, so hopefully this video will help x

I disagree with his comment on 'organisation' - but the rest? Most zoners DO know the details of the team's travel - and It was a risk (see above).
Can see why you would pick out elements from @Gull1899's comment, but I too wonder about leaving Euston at 10.18am, although Trainline lists the nearest train this Saturday at 10.30 - either/or is hoping for the best.

I think you might agree starting 10.18am in London for a 239 mile journey to arrive 2pm latest carries significant more risk than a lift in from Rochford on home match days.
As it was, there was barely an hour's grace had the train arrived on time at Kirkham station.
So, it depends on whether that element of doubt you speak of should be greater or lesser?
How do you classify this risk on a scale of 1-10 given all we know about infrastructure issues and rail worker disputes? Don't dismiss the latter.
Crews unavailable for weekend work usually become manifest on the day itself: not the issue here, but yet another element of 'doubt' ahead of the journey, no?
They weren’t going to arrive 2pm. As has been pointed out they were due into Preston just after 12:30 where they had presumably arranged Road transport for the 10 miles to the ground rather than wait for a connection and then take a coach to the ground anyway.

Been told by someone who knows what he is talking about, they always had a 180 mile rule, journeys over that amount, you went up the day before.
Simple rule really.
How can we stop talking about it, when we don't know what punishment we are getting, this is a forum to talk about Southend United, good and bad.
To me it's slightly worrying when KM comes out with this, bearing in mind what he had to endure with the tosspot at the helm?
Always question things, don't ignore, it could be too late!

Last edited:

You have mentioned works on the line, cancellation, or industrial disputes several times. Yet the train breaking down and the rescue train gong back to London has nothing to do with any of things you can pre-plan for on train journey.

If if the same train had left two hours earlier from London then the same thing would have happened.

Train travel on the day of a long distance away game sounds like not ideal operation for me. Wasn’t the timings that, even if train had been on time they would have only arrived less than 2 hours before KO?
Overnight gives you time for light training in the morning, as opposed to sat on your Harris for 3 or 4 hours, light lunch in relaxed environment, final run through of preparation etc.
I’m not aware of Col U doing it and I’m surprised KM has said you guys did it in EFL 1 and 2!! I can only imagine it was the start of ratty penny pinching.
You mean like Everton did last weekend travelling down to London to play Spurs?

Good thing about the internet is the amount of data available at ones finger tips.

So train reliability London to Preston. 4 Sats, 10 Aug to 31 Aug. Trains departing London between 8am and Noon. Total 32 trains. 15 trains arrived early or bang on time. A further 9 trains arrived within 1 to 5 mins of schedule. 5 trains were 5 to 10mins late. 2 were 10 to 30 mins late. 1 train failed to arrive.

I'd say it was a perfectly reasonable mode of transport and bloody unlucky! And of all the possible resolution of issues the train co took them back to London - not just kicked off the train and get the next one to continue journey - even more unlucky!

Last edited:
You have mentioned works on the line, cancellation, or industrial disputes several times. Yet the train breaking down and the rescue train gong back to London has nothing to do with any of things you can pre-plan for on train journey.

If if the same train had left two hours earlier from London then the same thing would have happened.
Yes, I did mention that several times, because several times it needed saying that AHEAD of the scheduled train, there was the possibility of all or some of these disruptions.
That's because it seemed some Zoners were missing the increased risk value.
In the end, the train (game) was scuppered for yet another reason.

They weren’t going to arrive 2pm. As has been pointed out they were due into Preston just after 12:30 where they had presumably arranged Road transport for the 10 miles to the ground rather than wait for a connection and then take a coach to the ground anyway.
Sorry, but your timeline is the same as mine more or less.
They had to drive 10 miles to the ground, so, let's give them 45 minutes for that: a 20-strong party alighting from train etc, walk to the car park, board the coach, and set off.
Ever been to Preston station on a Saturday lunchtime? I have: it's slap-bang in the middle of town.
But assuming progress is reasonably normal, you're still looking at 45 minutes train door to ground door.
I did say in post #382 "barely an hour's grace".
They needed to be at the ground BY 2pm. I believe it's compulsory team sheets are handed in BY 2.15pm.
And, note, I said their itinerary didn't leave a lot of room for manoeuvre.

Well that’s mean. Way to ruin a Friday Spaceman Spiff.

Im sure you’re correct & your travel plans were flawless x

Sorry, but your timeline is the same as mine more or less.
They had to drive 10 miles to the ground, so, let's give them 45 minutes for that: a 20-strong party alighting from train etc, walk to the car park, board the coach, and set off.
Ever been to Preston station on a Saturday lunchtime? I have: it's slap-bang in the middle of town.
But assuming progress is reasonably normal, you're still looking at 45 minutes train door to ground door.
I did say in post #382 "barely an hour's grace".
They needed to be at the ground BY 2pm. I believe it's compulsory team sheets are handed in BY 2.15pm.
And, note, I said their itinerary didn't leave a lot of room for manoeuvre.

Google maps says travelling on a Saturday at that time the journey should take 24 minutes.

That would get them in before 1pm.

Google maps says travelling on a Saturday at that time the journey should take 24 minutes.

That would get them in before 1pm.
You have factored in leaving the train, walking to and getting on the coach for 20 odd people? Add in five minutes minimum, and similar at the other end.
But I do notice the word 'should'...

Back