• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Would you delay renewing next season?

Are you delaying renewal of your season card for the 2023/2024 season?

• Total voters
As long as it didn't put losing my seats at risk, I would be happy to hold off until the last possible moment. I get my season ticket at a discounted rate so I don't get early bird discounts, would understand people not holding off as not to miss the cheaper rates. Money is tight and if they take away my discount I cannot justify the full price.
Sometimes people need to see the bigger picture and play the game. If everyone held off, then it just delayed the early bird. Sadly, not everyone does so we'll be where we are in 6 months, asking cyber space the same questions and watching the club/team slowly suffocate.

Let’s say he doesn’t provide any answers, even in the build up to the first game of the season. Do you then still buy your season ticket anyways? Do you buy them every match, and therefore it costs more in the long run? Or does it then become a boycott?

Not looking to stir the pot at all, just genuinely interested.

No one has answered this point as yet.

Those that are prepared to hold back, what do you do in this situation?

Will it be a full boycott until you get answers? I’m assuming it has to be answers you want, not just any answer.

Will it be a full boycott until RM goes? Or FF gets underway? Or if RM gives up a slice of the pie?

Do you back down and buy one, potentially missing your “normal” seat and the early bird deal, if there is one?

Again, I’m not stirring the pot, I’m genuinely interested what people will do?

If we have 3,000 season ticket holders, and 1,000 of us renew as normal, but 2,000 don’t for whatever reason, that makes a statement, and hits the Club/RM in the pocket, which is arguably the best thing we can do. However, come the day before the season starts and additional 1,500 back down without the answers and buy because they want to get behind the team, we’ve made decent signings or whatever the reason then it kind of loses the point if we still don’t have the answers.

Will it be a full boycott until you get answers? I’m assuming it has to be answers you want, not just any answer.

Will it be a full boycott until RM goes? Or FF gets underway? Or if RM gives up a slice of the pie?

Do you back down and buy one, potentially missing your “normal” seat and the early bird deal, if there is one?

If we have 3,000 season ticket holders, and 1,000 of us renew as normal, but 2,000 don’t for whatever reason, that makes a statement, and hits the Club/RM in the pocket, which is arguably the best thing we can do. However, come the day before the season starts and additional 1,500 back down without the answers and buy because they want to get behind the team, we’ve made decent signings or whatever the reason then it kind of loses the point if we still don’t have the answers.
Personally I would hold off until it meant I would lose my seats.

I'd be willing to try it to see if it helps/works but i'm not going to do it at the detriment of my own enjoyment of watching the club I love.

Ron knows that there will be a select stubborn few who will boycott and are still boycotting under his tenure. But he also knows there is a core of fans who will pay when/how and how much he asks.

It's a tough one, but I am willing to hold off for a period to try and help us all get the answers.

None of us being Mystic Meg can answer those points atm, You are asking for answers to something that is hyperthetical until we hear or IF RM comes out and makes some sort of statement that will hopefully quell the masses.

Some will no doubt believe him others won't.

It is always up to the individual to decide what they want to do, but it seems to me the silence and general distain of the fans by RM not stating a clearer picture of our future and current problems is far worse than withholding season card money for a time to try to force the point.

Last edited:

Personally without real answers it becomes a boycott for me. If I lose my seat so be it.

I’ll find something else to do on the weekend, maybe even something that puts a few extra quid in my pocket instead of taking money out.

Great questions.

I guess no one has probably responded because we don't have the answers. The positive is that we are all talking and looking to create a strategy to draw him out and be transparent. After all, not knowing and constantly seeing us fighting fire, is worse than knowing what we may not like but may be able to do something if we had more clarity. There are now so many questions without answers and transparency is required.

I think you can only take one step at a time.

The purpose of holding back is to draw engagement once again from him. The first step is to present him with stats of the numbers that are prepared to hold off, before it gets to the stage when he expects that cash flow. It doesn't mean he won't get it, just not at the time he is expecting it, which to him would mean he would not have initial running costs next season. He can't afford for that to happen to stay on course with his dream plan.

Remember, he needs the club to get his dream, so if it means dropping his pride to get that money, he may well do so. Where else is he going to get an injection of 750k??

Tbh it was just a thought to draw him out to provide the answers to questions many keep repeatedly asking to no avail. I'm sure there are far more intelligent analytics than me that can put together further plans B,C etc. That happens by supporters talking, putting every idea on the table, and collectively coming up with something solid. This is that platform .....

Ron is a clever man. Stupid but also clever. But he's not without a breaking point... no one is. Other clubs have successfully removed cancerous owners ... we just can't give up the chase.

Last edited:

Personally, I'll be looking to boycott if no assurances are given for next season. I understand many others may not, and I respect that, it's just not been acceptable this season from fans POV.

It's not just what's happened, it's the manner it has happened too. We have been told nothing, even to this point we know nothing beyond that HMRC have been paid.

Look at it from this point, what are you getting for your money every year..... a run down stadium, HMRC issues, players/staff not paid on time/unpaid, An owner who quite happy to continue to run the club into the ground for his own gain. That's hardly value for money, it's lack of respect and loyalty to the fans who continue to turn up in decent numbers despite the constant mess which occurs every year with Southend. 6k a home game but can't pay players/staff, that's shockingly bad ownership. In my opinion Currently the club/ron doesn't deserve the support from the fans.

Last edited:
None of us not being Mystic Meg can answer those points atm, You are asking for answers to something that is hyperthetical until we hear or IF RM comes out and makes some sort of statement that will hopefully quell the masses.

Some will no doubt believe him others won't.

It is always up to the individual to decide what they want to do, but it seems to me the silence and general distain of the fans by RM not stating a clearer picture of our future and current problems is far worse than withholding season card money for a time to try to force the point.

Of course, I get it’s down to the individual, I’m not expecting say you to decide we will all go down this route regardless.

I wanted to know what the individuals would do in this instance. You say I’m asking questions for something hypothetical, but aren’t people suggesting a course of action for something that is also hypothetical?

Great questions.

I guess no one has probably responded because we don't have the answers. The positive is that we are all talking and looking to create a strategy to draw him out and be transparent. After all, not knowing and constantly seeing us fighting fire, is worse than knowing what we may not like but may be able to do something if we had more clarity. There are now so many questions without answers and transparency is required.

I think you can only take one step at a time.

The purpose of holding back is to draw engagement once again from him. The first step is to present him with stats of the numbers that are prepared to hold off, before it gets to the stage when he expects that cash flow. It doesn't mean he won't get it, just not at the time he is expecting it, which to him would mean he would not have initial running costs next season. He can't afford for that to happen to stay on course with his dream plan.

Remember, he needs the club to get his dream, so if it means dropping his pride to get that money, he may well do so. Where else is he going to get an injection of 750k??

Tbh it was just a thought to draw him out to provide the answers to questions many keep repeatedly asking to no avail. I'm sure there are far more intelligent analytics than me that can put together further plans B,C etc. That happens by supporters talking, putting every idea on the table, and collectively coming up with something solid. This is that platform .....

Ron is a clever man. Stupid but also clever. But he's not without a breaking point... no one is. Other clubs have successfully removed cancerous owners ... we just can't give up the chase.

Some good answers so far, and some from both sides that potential will eventually get their season tickets, and some that would turn into a full boycott.

For those that this becomes a boycott, at what point do people return? When RM goes, simply answers the questions, gives up a slice, we sign a centre forward or what? Again, genuinely intrigued.

To be fair, since September when the embargo came into place, or November when there started to be issues with staff wages, or January when the players became more effected, this is the best idea that’s been put forward, and something we can actively do.

Some will renew regardless, some won’t because of RM/their personal situation/etc but this has the potential to get a decent number not renewing initially.

Some good answers so far, and some from both sides that potential will eventually get their season tickets, and some that would turn into a full boycott.

For those that this becomes a boycott, at what point do people return? When RM goes, simply answers the questions, gives up a slice, we sign a centre forward or what? Again, genuinely intrigued.

To be fair, since September when the embargo came into place, or November when there started to be issues with staff wages, or January when the players became more effected, this is the best idea that’s been put forward, and something we can actively do.

Some will renew regardless, some won’t because of RM/their personal situation/etc but this has the potential to get a decent number not renewing initially.
I certainly would not want to boycott completely, because I love the club, love many people in it, love going, and see what we could become. However, i think we all have to remain open and may have to do what is uncomfortable, IF, it's for the better in the long term.

I will only return if Ron sells bare minimum a partial stake in SUFC to allow investors to keep the club itself competitive and functioning.

I personally feel that if we are going to withhold our money, we have to be willing to walk away completely.

Time to put Martin over the barrel like he does to us. We must get out of the mindset that walking away means we don't love the club.

Back