• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

When will the takeover go through? The Waiting Game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
More people liked this post than turned up at the last protest. More people demand protests on SZ and Twitter than turned up at the last protest.

If apathy runs through even the people calling for it, what hope have we got?
What people do or say on ShrimpeZone is very seldom what they will do in real life. That's social media for you! To be fair, people have attended protests, many from on the Zone, but only if they believe it will be worthwhile. There is a degree of apathy, that is a common malaise in all walks of life these days, but I'm still waiting to understand what good protests could do at the moment, and against who.

What people do or say on ShrimpeZone is very seldom what they will do in real life. That's social media for you! To be fair, people have attended protests, many from on the Zone, but only if they believe it will be worthwhile. There is a degree of apathy, that is a common malaise in all walks of life these days, but I'm still waiting to understand what good protests could do at the moment, and against who.
Of course, but it's tiring to read people having a moan at the fanbase, when the numbers having a moan at the fanbase total more than those who turned up last time.

It remains all one man's fault.

Reactions: RHB
Getting a horrible sense of deja vu reading this thread. How long before we're blaming Stan again?!

My favourite one in the blame game was Tom Lawrence, that was absolutely laughable considering the lengths he has gone to, and the money he has put in himself out of his own pocket to help save the Club and get games on.

Don’t forget, it’s actually all @CRATE ’s fault, and other ITK as well as Stan, Tom’s, the council, basically everyone was getting the blame except the one person who is all to blame for all of this mess.

Easier to waste our energy and call Southend United fans gutless and spineless who don’t do exactly what you want them to do.

RM is the root of all of this, please don’t lose sight of this when slinging mud around, it should all be directed at him and no one else. Not the council, not Stan, not TL, not other Southend United fans.

The vast majority on this board are Southend United supporters (we have rival fans to so I can’t say everyone) and we all want the same thing. RM gone. Let’s focus on this rather than the dick swinging contest about what has achieved what so far.

I’m not as concerned as others are, especially after reading @Medway Blue latest post. I suggest everyone has a read of that, rather than jumping to conclusions. People are suggesting transfer embargoes (we aren’t under one), points deductions (we haven’t got one) and not being able to start next season (there is no suggestion of that) need to relax. Enjoy this weather, the weekend is about to start too, so let’s calm down a touch please.

I’m not as concerned as others are, especially after reading @Medway Blue latest post. I suggest everyone has a read of that, rather than jumping to conclusions. People are suggesting transfer embargoes (we aren’t under one), points deductions (we haven’t got one) and not being able to start next season (there is no suggestion of that) need to relax. Enjoy this weather, the weekend is about to start too, so let’s calm down a touch please.
That’s what u said last year for every one sit back and all that bollocks and look how that turned out were sleep walking into a summer like last year

That’s what u said last year for every one sit back and all that bollocks and look how that turned out were sleep walking into a summer like last year
It's all about opinions, but please, please tell me what protests should be happening now, and why.

Figure owed to Stewarts is more likely half that. One or two other creditors joined the petition though. I never got confirmation as to who, but I think you could guess one of them. So total petition debt may be closer to £400k.

Too expensive, too long. Would leave them financially supporting the club at this level without making much movement towards making it self-sustaining.

What we're seeing at the moment, culminating in Roots Hall being formally sold to COSU/POSU if/when Fossetts planning permission is granted, is the club being separated from Ron's property dealings. It just requires time and patience due to the extent to which he's tangled it all up.

I understand your sentiment. I'd be one of the first people protesting if I thought it would do any good at the moment. There is absolutely a compelling argument that it took our fanbase far too long to come together and to start making our voices heard/Ron Martin's life difficult. No point dwelling on the past though, it is what it is and hopefully lessons have been learned for the future.

I genuinely don't think there is anything to be gained from protesting at this precise time though, apart from perhaps making people feel better. Which is fine. Generally though, there are independent processes happening which have to be allowed to run their course.

FWIW, the story that drew Justin Rees' attention was the one on the BBC Sport website reporting on RM selling SUFC for £1. Nothing to do with the protests as that story would have been on the BBC Sport website regardless of what the supporters were doing. He did find out about the protests pretty quickly afterwards though!

We're in contact with Justin Rees, the council and Anna Firth. We are considering putting something out, but I'm conscious that we don't know much beyond what was in the Echo story yesterday. Don't want to waste time putting out a nothing statement, so would want to word carefully.

There is an agreement in place for him to repay half of what the Consortium pay out if the deal falls through. I don't anticipate its a particularly strong agreement, and it's all well and good him trying to make himself look good by referring to it, but at the end of the day he doesn't have the money to honour it at the moment, and I don't know how legally enforceable it is.

The £3.5m paid by COSU is "committed spending". So what they've laid out on wages and any bills paid so far, in addition to the debts they've committed to repay once the deal completes.

COSU will not sanction the sale of season tickets unless they can ensure that the revenue generated from the sales will be used for the football club. I don't know how much more diplomatically I can word it! I understand Ronald keeps asking when they will go on sale, though. I wonder why?

Nope. They won't have control of the club's bank accounts and credit cards until they own it. It's different with wages as they know the amount needed to pay the entirety of the monthly wage bill, so can deposit that money into the club's account on the day of, or the night before, and Tom can then quickly pay it back out again for the payroll run.

Because he availed himself of any day-to-day responsibility for running the football club, and people have been able to keep him away.

Ah, the million dollar question!
Well done and thanks James. Offered a lot of clarity and made things much clearer. I confess I find the whole situation quite confusing and don’t always understand what means what so thank you for clearing up so many points.

I get why people want to protest, it's not because it's the solution, it's because they feel helpless otherwise and want to do something to save our club.

Sadly though, protesting just won't get the ball rolling any faster now, we are truly stuck between a rock and a hard place.

But if the worst does happen and our club dies, I'll be calling on everyone to make sure Ron and his family don't see a penny from FF

We would need to cause as much disruption to that development as humanly possible. If he builds it, we burn it down.

FWIW, the story that drew Justin Rees' attention was the one on the BBC Sport website reporting on RM selling SUFC for £1. Nothing to do with the protests as that story would have been on the BBC Sport website regardless of what the supporters were doing. He did find out about the protests pretty quickly afterwards though!
Lovely summary. I don't agree with the above point, though. If it wasn't for protests etc, Ron wouldn't have put it up for sale in the first place. He really hated people camped outside his door

Figure owed to Stewarts is more likely half that. One or two other creditors joined the petition though. I never got confirmation as to who, but I think you could guess one of them. So total petition debt may be closer to £400k.

Too expensive, too long. Would leave them financially supporting the club at this level without making much movement towards making it self-sustaining.

What we're seeing at the moment, culminating in Roots Hall being formally sold to COSU/POSU if/when Fossetts planning permission is granted, is the club being separated from Ron's property dealings. It just requires time and patience due to the extent to which he's tangled it all up.

I understand your sentiment. I'd be one of the first people protesting if I thought it would do any good at the moment. There is absolutely a compelling argument that it took our fanbase far too long to come together and to start making our voices heard/Ron Martin's life difficult. No point dwelling on the past though, it is what it is and hopefully lessons have been learned for the future.

I genuinely don't think there is anything to be gained from protesting at this precise time though, apart from perhaps making people feel better. Which is fine. Generally though, there are independent processes happening which have to be allowed to run their course.

We're in contact with Justin Rees, the council and Anna Firth. We are considering putting something out, but I'm conscious that we don't know much beyond what was in the Echo story yesterday. Don't want to waste time putting out a nothing statement, so would want to word carefully.

There is an agreement in place for him to repay half of what the Consortium pay out if the deal falls through. I don't anticipate its a particularly strong agreement, and it's all well and good him trying to make himself look good by referring to it, but at the end of the day he doesn't have the money to honour it at the moment, and I don't know how legally enforceable it is.

The £3.5m paid by COSU is "committed spending". So what they've laid out on wages and any bills paid so far, in addition to the debts they've committed to repay once the deal completes.

COSU will not sanction the sale of season tickets unless they can ensure that the revenue generated from the sales will be used for the football club. I don't know how much more diplomatically I can word it! I understand Ronald keeps asking when they will go on sale, though. I wonder why?

Nope. They won't have control of the club's bank accounts and credit cards until they own it. It's different with wages as they know the amount needed to pay the entirety of the monthly wage bill, so can deposit that money into the club's account on the day of, or the night before, and Tom can then quickly pay it back out again for the payroll run.

Because he availed himself of any day-to-day responsibility for running the football club, and people have been able to keep him away.

Ah, the million dollar question!
The Post Of The Season, regarding the takeover/deal.

That's categorically not true though, as things stand. Let's review last summer's issues:
  • we were under a transfer embargo and almost completely unable to sign any new players;
  • we were subject to a winding-up petition from HMRC for which we had already had multiple hearings (no WUP is good, but we know being in debt to HMRC puts us much more at risk of sporting sanctions);
  • we were in violation of NL licensing regulations which could have resulted in us getting kicked out of the league;
  • Roots Hall was poised to have its safety certificate revoked and only a huge effort by a band of supporters allowed us to start the season;
  • there was no running water at B&L and conditions were so poor that the players went on strike for a short time
Yes, things still aren't where we'd like them to be and there is still uncertainty which could put off potential new signings, but I think it's a stretch to suggest that this summer is looking like last summer.

Last edited:
like to think all is well in the camp But sadly while that rat and his family have a stragle hold on the club .things wont chage I really hope im wrong on this .To put a smile back on the fans faces .

Medway we can see the reasoning behind the ST sales not happening yet .What happened to the day and half season ticket sales after the sale agreement....was this ring fenced so that the rat couldn't touch any of it ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back