• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Here we go. We're all becoming expert engineers now!

For balance it would make sense to hear both sides of the story. I'm no expert, but they have said they have 14 years of testing and design. The guy who owns the company was on board. Do you think he would be there if he was even slightly worried about their design and testing?

My guess is it's more likely fatigue.

Last edited:
Here we go. We're all becoming expert engineers now!
If you want expert engineers, here are some who raised concerns years ago about Oceangate cutting corners, they're also in the middle of a lawsuit with a whistleblower who reported to a government agency that the sub wasn't certified for the depths it was planning to go down to.

If you want expert engineers, here are some who raised concerns years ago about Oceangate cutting corners, they're also in the middle of a lawsuit with a whistleblower who reported to a government agency that the sub wasn't certified for the depths it was planning to go down to.

Hadn't they already done like a dozen or trips down there?

Holier than thou fishing expeditions are hacking me off. If anyone spots one of those, do us all a favour and treat it as it deserves to be treated - ignore it.
I take it this ill considered post was in response to my comparison of the media coverage of the missing submersible and the latest tragedy in the Med. If you consider this to be a 'holier than thou' fishing expedtion it appears your moral compass has lost its bearings. The thought of 100 or more children trapped in the hold of an overcrowded ship about to sink fills me with horror and I hope any sentient human being would feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone with an ounce of humanity would 'give a monkies (sic) ' as you so elegantly put it. I think I can guess the subtext of your comment but I won't waste any more time on it.
The subtext is showing sympathy and sorrow for both incidents rather than bitching about coverage, especially the press media who only want the story, to sell tomorrows chip paper.

You know fore well that the majority of the British press only deall in reporting according to the colour of the scarf round their necks.

Billionaires = Good
Migrants = Bad

Look at their humanity rather than what you might think mine is.

Hadn't they already done like a dozen or trips down there?
That doesn't mean it's safe, it just means you've been lucky enough for to not end up in a situation where the design flaws matter. Imagine for example you build a car where the wheels fall off if you hit a bump too fast, sure you'll do the first few trips without a problem but that doesn't mean it's safe, it just means you didn't drive over any bumps so you didn't run into a situation where the design faults matter.

Apollo 13 comes to mind, it was the exact same design as Apollo 11 & 12 but unlike 11 & 12 some liquid oxygen didn't drain properly and as it turned out the backup procedure (heating the oxygen so it became gas) was faulty, but no one realised on 11 & 12 because they never needed to use that procedure.

Last edited:
That doesn't mean it's safe, it just means you've been lucky enough for to not end up in a situation where the design flaws matter. Imagine for example you build a car where the wheels fall off if you hit a bump too fast, sure you'll do the first few trips without a problem but that doesn't mean it's safe, it just means you didn't drive over any bumps so you didn't run into a situation where the design faults matter.

Apollo 13 comes to mind, it was the exact same design as Apollo 11 & 12 but unlike 11 & 12 some liquid oxygen didn't drain properly and as it turned out the backup procedure (heating the oxygen so it became gas) was faulty, but no one realised on 11 & 12 because they never needed to use that procedure.
A lot of structures develop progressive fatigue as they go through stress cycles due to design flaws. From what I have read this seems to be the initial hypothesis of experts in the field.

The de Havilland Comet is a textbook example where square windows were found to contribute to the metal fatigue that destroyed the plane. Future aircraft were built with rounded windows.

In a moment of weakness I took my wife for a KFC at Tarpots and as I ate my chicken meal a gang of 14 year old scrotes with dealer bags leant against my mobile command unit parked outside whilst vaping.

Tarpots at night seems to be a magnet to low quality street punks.
It reminds me of my unfortunate incident as a young man when at the Manor Disco with my girlfriend at the time, as she was from Benfleet., and someone found out I was from Southend, Lol. At the time there was a little war going on between Southend and Benfleet. There was a big fight on Bread n Cheese hill one night, pre arranged. And also a few fights in and around Zhivago's on some Sunday nights. Thankfully it blew out quickly, as Benfleet realised they were outmuscled. I did actually point out I was from Leigh and not actually Southend, after the bottle struck my head, Lol. Anyway, getting to your point, I also had a few incidents over the space of about 3 years going out in Benfleet at Tarpots when getting a takaway there. It's always had troublesome youths hanging about there, giving strangers jip.

Rolled up the T shirt sleeves for a bit of Suns out Guns out action whilst walking the dogs between 8am and 10am and the guns are burned to ****.

Glastonbury.

Don't get me wrong big fan of music festivals and seeing the artists live, but just how some of the poor sods at Glastonbury can see is beyond me.

Even if you could see from half way back in the crowd you have no chance with the number of flags blocking views of the stage or the screens either side.

Not so much yeah I was at Glastonbury and I saw etc etc but more a case of yeah I was at Glastonbury and I heard etc etc.

Glastonbury.

Don't get me wrong big fan of music festivals and seeing the artists live, but just how some of the poor sods at Glastonbury can see is beyond me.

Even if you could see from half way back in the crowd you have no chance with the number of flags blocking views of the stage or the screens either side.

Not so much yeah I was at Glastonbury and I saw etc etc but more a case of yeah I was at Glastonbury and I heard etc etc.
Iv'e always wondered, what if the ones near the front or in the middle suddenly have to do a number 2. It will probably take an hour to get to a toilet.

Iv'e always wondered, what if the ones near the front or in the middle suddenly have to do a number 2. It will probably take an hour to get to a toilet.
Having done a few festivals I can tell you you aim to not try and not do one. If you really have to go you need to go the first day your there. Toilets after the festival kicks in are rotten and are best avoided at all costs.

Of course that was my experience when doing the Download music festivals in the early noughties. Times may well have changed and I'm sure for Glastonbury they may be cleaned and toilet paper may have been replenished.

A trip to the toilets at one of the services on the way to the festival, a final clear out when you pitched your tent and then one again at the services on the way home. Hope and pray you didn't get any dodgy food from one the food outlets or just stick to chips and beer

Back