• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Before Covid, i could just walk into my GP's, & make an appt no prob at all. Now you have to phone & join a 2 hrs queue, why???. I just can't fathom it out?.
And as for guaranteeing you'll get an appt within 2 weeks, what good is that if your phoning because you need to see a GP asap because of what-ever symptoms you have?.
Mine has got an online booking system. No good i'd imagine for urgent appointments, but for the general stuff that you keep putting off pretty good.

@WhiteNoise , who is, quote, "blaming the issues with the NHS purely on them"?
What I have posted, and what I have read is a mix of reform and resource the NHS for today and tomorrow's needs; plus a recognition that individual responsibility to one's own health needs to be given a priority, both for the individual, the NHS and the wider community/social knock on effects.
NHS, Westminster, local guv, policing judiciary, offender issues, fire, social care, armed forces, border control, transport, energy networks, water and more should, MUST, be kept up to standard, up to date and reformed, reorganised, reset as required.
And, imo, they could all benefit from such reviews and action.

Last edited:
We've had years of underfunding and worsening working conditions within the NHS. That's with a global pandemic that has also caused a huge amount of issues both directly and indirectly, resulting in people with significant health needs that weren't adequately addressed during the pandemic. All of this goes back to the working conditions and funding for the NHS which is down to the government.

That isn't to say that there aren't people who look to abuse the system and don't take sufficient care of themselves, and whose needs would be better addressed outside of the health system, but by blaming the issues with the NHS purely on them is completely wrong and it's doing the governments job for them. Very soon we'll find ourselves in a US style system where we're spending huge amount on an insurance-based system. Breaking the NHS and forcing us into a private system where profit can be carved off has always been the long term plan.
Stop trying to make this thread political please .

It may pay to consider why they call an ambulance, let's not forget the services that many vulnerable people once had, are no longer there. Mental health in all its forms are widely ignored and one unfortunate consequence is that front line services have to pick up the pieces.

Stop trying to make this thread political please .
Unavoidable. The notion that the NHS can be discussed without a political dimension is sheer nonsense.

I have spent the last month working in Canary Wharf two days a week after two and a half years of remote working.

In the last month I have had one cold, cough or sore throat after another.

I have spent the last month working in Canary Wharf two days a week after two and a half years of remote working.

In the last month I have had one cold, cough or sore throat after another.
You will do, your body's not used to being exposed to others germs. It's why people are being urged to have the flu jab this year. Probably worth taking some extra vitamins too.

You will do, your body's not used to being exposed to others germs. It's why people are being urged to have the flu jab this year. Probably worth taking some extra vitamins too.

Indeed, the unintended consequences of lockdown and social isolation.

Immune systems work due to the continous exposure to germs, this immunity has wained somewhat and we're now all picking up colds etc

Indeed, the unintended consequences of lockdown and social isolation.

Immune systems work due to the continous exposure to germs, this immunity has wained somewhat and we're now all picking up colds etc
Our work have told us not to come in if we have even the slightest cough or sneeze. This is yo keep our "wing" of the office free of illness. Rest of the office are able to come in and walk through our section.

Some people want to live in isolation bubbles now afraid of even the common cold.

Our work have told us not to come in if we have even the slightest cough or sneeze. This is yo keep our "wing" of the office free of illness. Rest of the office are able to come in and walk through our section.

Some people want to live in isolation bubbles now afraid of even the common cold.
Indeed.Our younger daughter who works for the ADF (google them) in Paris where she usually works f2f for a couple of days a week -not for the last week or so since she's been to Brazil for work meetings/travelling practically every day has been working "normally" (ie mostly online) for some time now.Like most young people (she's still in her late 20's ) she's much happier working f2f than in her flat.

Hate people who attend the office, go on the train, with the sniffles. If you can, stay at home and work rather than passing your cold onto others. And covid hasn't changed my view!

Last edited:
Hate people who attend the office, go on the train, with the sniffles. If you can stay at home and work rather than passing your cold onto others. And covid hasn't changed my view!

I assue a lot of those people can't just work from home.

If you have the sniffles you go to work

DRIVERS across Southend are facing more misery amid a warning to expect “severe delays” throughout the next three weeks, as a new set of roadworks get underway.

Workers will be digging up parts of Cuckoo Corner roundabout from today as part of the ongoing ultra-fast broadband installation taking place across the city.

Council bosses are warning of significant disruption on all approaches to the Cuckoo Corner roundabout - including Princes Avenue, Manners Way, Priory Crescent and Victoria Avenue.

A Southend Council spokesman said: “Severe delays are expected, so please allow longer travelling times and avoid the area if possible.”
The roadworks, which are set to last three weeks, will result in the roundabout being reduced from three lanes to one.
Daniel Cowan, councillor for St Laurence, claims lane closures installed in advance of the work had to be withdrawn over the weekend following a backlash from angry residents at the delays it was causing.
The lane closures will be re-added from today.

Since I had a smart meter installed in August, I've had one bill for gas only. As I'm dual fuel with EON NEXT I thought I'd ring them and ask why. As I type this, I've been in a queue for 45 minutes. It's an 0808 number so not costing me, but is it any wonder that customers have the A1 ache why they do get through? Whilst waiting I've just found an email address instead, so I think I'll reclaim my life and use that. Absolutely pathetic customer service.

Customer service generally has gone down the pan in recent years and is just getting worse, the Covid excuse for holding delays on the phone is wearing very thin. As for those damn ‘chat bots’…. bl**dy useless, the last one I tried (out of desperation) merely referred me back to a customer service phone number and email address. Never again.

Back