• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Must say I'm pretty amazed the C4 '100 days of UKIP' programme was allowed to be shown. Mixing real footage with fictional - that doesn't sit right with me.

I'm going to watch this on 4od tonight, did you watch the Gary Glitter thing they did where they brought back the death penalty for him, that was odd. As much as I dislike UKIP I don't think that sort of thing is right, i'll reserve judgement until I watch though.

By the way anybody seen that shop in Benfleet with the "WE SUPPORT UKIP" on it? It's on the London Road near Tarpots. I hope the owners of said shop get firebombed. *****.

Are you inciting race hatred ?

I'm going to watch this on 4od tonight, did you watch the Gary Glitter thing they did where they brought back the death penalty for him, that was odd. As much as I dislike UKIP I don't think that sort of thing is right, i'll reserve judgement until I watch though.
It think Crawliano's firebombing thing is justified but C4 were bang out of order with their mixing fact and fiction.

It think Crawliano's firebombing thing is justified but C4 were bang out of order with their mixing fact and fiction.

Not so sure about that...whilst I agree as a piece of television it was poor, was it really any different to The trial of Tony Blair, Spitting image or Alan B'stard (just not as well executed)?

What I did find bizarre was the use of real footage (Riots from the lib / lab / con years) and then attributed to Ukip!

Not so sure about that...whilst I agree as a piece of television it was poor, was it really any different to The trial of Tony Blair, Spitting image or Alan B'stard (just not as well executed)?

What I did find bizarre was the use of real footage (Riots from the lib / lab / con years) and then attributed to Ukip!
I was sticking up for your UKIP types to have a fair hearing but if you want to snap my olive branch in two is your right.

The thing with those shows is they were satirical of what already was. Spitting image slaughtered everyone.

This film is telling people what would happen.

Just seemed like propaganda rather than satire, and I cant stand UKIP.

The thing with those shows is they were satirical of what already was. Spitting image slaughtered everyone.

This film is telling people what would happen.

Just seemed like propaganda rather than satire, and I cant stand UKIP.

I think there is a fine line at times between propaganda and someones view (in this case a film makers fictitious view), as the funding for the film came from the EU to make it in the first place it should come as no surprise that at times the film maker may have crossed those lines.

As a piece of television it was flawed from the outset, as we had to believe that UKIP could leave the EU at the drop of the hat, scrap the human rights act even more quickly... whilst locating all the missing illegal immigrants lost under the tories and labour (luckily they were all working in a local restaurant), managing to secure agreements with their countries of origin to return them!, fortunately UKIPS finger was so much on the pulse that they were able to bolster the beleaguered Border Enforcement Agency within ten minutes of gaining power.

Whatever anyone's feelings about UKIP you would have to admire the film makers view of how efficient, a UKIP government would be.

What was uncomfortable perhaps was the way actual footage was used to suggest that society is very much divided and that it was the fault of the new UKIP government when of course this footage went back to both previous governments.

Then of course we had the Government cover ups, suppressed evidence etc all attributed to the new UKIP government....The bank scandal, the child rape scandal, the tax avoidance scandal anyone????

Pretty much everything depicted in the programme is happening / has happened....perhaps the film says more about our established parties than the fledgeling UKIP.

One thing is for sure and that is that UKIP have upset the establishment - why else make programmes like this with the GE around the corner? Like them or dislike them, perhaps they deserve a bit of credit for this alone.
For Channel Four to be making pap like this is desperate desperate stuff.

One thing is for sure and that is that UKIP have upset the establishment - why else make programmes like this with the GE around the corner? Like them or dislike them, perhaps they deserve a bit of credit for this alone.
For Channel Four to be making pap like this is desperate desperate stuff.

It doesn’t reflect well on channel 4 and Iagree that something like this almost seems like genuine concern that UKIP area major threat, I don’t think they are and don’t see the need, especially whenthe programme can be picked apart so easily and could evoke sympathy for UKIP.It’s as needless as the time they had Nick Griffin on QT, everybody knows hispolicies are abhorrent and the BNP weren’t a threat but everyone else madethemselves look bad by bullying him on TV and not letting him answer a singlequestion. Letting him answer and letting him hang himself would have been soeasy as well.

It doesn’t reflect well on channel 4 and Iagree that something like this almost seems like genuine concern that UKIP area major threat, I don’t think they are and don’t see the need, especially whenthe programme can be picked apart so easily and could evoke sympathy for UKIP.It’s as needless as the time they had Nick Griffin on QT, everybody knows hispolicies are abhorrent and the BNP weren’t a threat but everyone else madethemselves look bad by bullying him on TV and not letting him answer a singlequestion. Letting him answer and letting him hang himself would have been soeasy as well.

it was the QT appearance by Griffin which has finished the BNP - worst political decision since Kinnock's "We're alright" Sheffield rally.

I think there is a fine line at times between propaganda and someones view (in this case a film makers fictitious view), as the funding for the film came from the EU to make it in the first place it should come as no surprise that at times the film maker may have crossed those lines.

As a piece of television it was flawed from the outset, as we had to believe that UKIP could leave the EU at the drop of the hat, scrap the human rights act even more quickly... whilst locating all the missing illegal immigrants lost under the tories and labour (luckily they were all working in a local restaurant), managing to secure agreements with their countries of origin to return them!, fortunately UKIPS finger was so much on the pulse that they were able to bolster the beleaguered Border Enforcement Agency within ten minutes of gaining power.

Whatever anyone's feelings about UKIP you would have to admire the film makers view of how efficient, a UKIP government would be.

What was uncomfortable perhaps was the way actual footage was used to suggest that society is very much divided and that it was the fault of the new UKIP government when of course this footage went back to both previous governments.

Then of course we had the Government cover ups, suppressed evidence etc all attributed to the new UKIP government....The bank scandal, the child rape scandal, the tax avoidance scandal anyone????

Pretty much everything depicted in the programme is happening / has happened....perhaps the film says more about our established parties than the fledgeling UKIP.

I agree with pretty much all of that. I am not sure of what the programme makers were trying to achieve with sort of film as it seemed like they were just making things up.

What was a lot more scary was the BBC programme on Sunday which had real UKIPers in it. They came across to me as a rather odd bunch of people with minor gripes they'd blown out of all proportion, especially the woman who wouldn't go to a dinner party if she had to sit next to a 'Negro' as she put it.

I don't know how representative they are of UKIP party members, but they didn't seem like the type of people I'd trust to run a whelk stall let alone the country.

They're being very vocal in the Castle Point area following on from the UKIP launch the other week, commenting on anything and everything! UKIP spokesman commented in the Echo yesterday on the timing of the traffic lights at Tarpots following on from two accidents in the space of 16 minutes the other day - till my husband pointed out that, at that time, the lights weren't working and there were signs up clearly saying this!

They're being very vocal in the Castle Point area following on from the UKIP launch the other week, commenting on anything and everything! UKIP spokesman commented in the Echo yesterday on the timing of the traffic lights at Tarpots following on from two accidents in the space of 16 minutes the other day - till my husband pointed out that, at that time, the lights weren't working and there were signs up clearly saying this!
UKIP have a history of being poor with stats - posters alleging the entire population of Europe were suddenly going to turn up at Waterloo station springs to mind.

I have a feeling UKIP won't do THAT well at the GE....and if and when Farage departs I think they'll vanish up their own behinds.

Everyone has prejudices, some are just more honest about it than others. I think it's human nature to prefer your own kind of people. Are Asians who live in big communities together prejudiced?

Yes, I'd much prefer to live with human beings than say, turtles or parakeets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back