• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

But if you don't know anyone on the committee then how the hell do you know what acumen and abilities they possess?

The committee encompasses a wide range of skills and business experience, I'm not sure why getting someone "like" mfurok on board would add anything different to what is already there.

Barna - have you actually looked at any of the committee member blogs that are appearing on the website at present? If so, you might appreciate more what I've said. Don't think of Scott or I as typical members, there are people with a lot more business acumen than us involved! (Apologies for lumping us together there Scott, but you get my drift?!)

The committee encompasses a wide range of skills and business experience, I'm not sure why getting someone "like" mfurok on board would add anything different to what is already there.

Barna - have you actually looked at any of the committee member blogs that are appearing on the website at present? If so, you might appreciate more what I've said. Don't think of Scott or I as typical members, there are people with a lot more business acumen than us involved! (Apologies for lumping us together there Scott, but you get my drift?!)

Price of being young Kay, but diversity is what makes a committee

Let the people on the committee with the business acumen and millions of dosh behind them buy the geezer out blogs make pounds....................

So no ones going to question the 10k given to the youth team, yet we don't want to support the first team?

I agree with the above. I would sooner the money go towards the First Team to help them prep for the season ahead. We seem to be giving money to the youth team (no questions asked) but I don't see many players coming through - they either don't make it or we just pass them on.

If we don't have any glamourous pre-seasons people moan, if we do people still moan. If it helps the team, which Sturrock assures us it did last year, then why not support them.

I agree with the above. I would sooner the money go towards the First Team to help them prep for the season ahead. We seem to be giving money to the youth team (no questions asked) but I don't see many players coming through - they either don't make it or we just pass them on.

If we don't have any glamourous pre-seasons people moan, if we do people still moan. If it helps the team, which Sturrock assures us it did last year, then why not support them.

If you are a trust member then raise this with the trust - its your money and thererfore you are entitled to have your say. If you are not a Trust member..............
Ps- why do you say no questions asked- do you know how the decisions are made , or are you just making assumptions?
Last year the tour would not have happened without the clubs support - this year it wil with/without the Trusts support- so you (and others) are not comapring apples with apples

We seem to be giving money to the youth team (no questions asked) but I don't see many players coming through - they either don't make it or we just pass them on.
I don't think the club does just "pass" them on. They're sold on, which is rather different, and I don't think we've done too badly, just because they're not part of our squad doesn't mean they can't be developed at a higher league club. I think this is what's happened with a few players in the last couple of years, here's just a couple of examples, (I'm sure others can come up with some other names)

http://www.aliverpoolthing.com/2010/11/lad-can-play-michael-ngoo.html

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/January/DellaVerdeThroughtheRanks.aspx

I don't think the club does just "pass" them on. They're sold on, which is rather different, and I don't think we've done too badly, just because they're not part of our squad doesn't mean they can't be developed at a higher league club. I think this is what's happened with a few players in the last couple of years, here's just a couple of examples, (I'm sure others can come up with some other names)

http://www.aliverpoolthing.com/2010/11/lad-can-play-michael-ngoo.html

http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2012/January/DellaVerdeThroughtheRanks.aspx

Maybe a newsletter piece on the ROI for the Youth team would be a good idea, we must be able to cobble together the snippets of info out there? Your right just because players don't come through to our first team that 10k might actually be generating 10 times that each year on sell ons which is reinvested in our first team. But maybe the trust need to shout about that more so people are more aware?

Maybe a newsletter piece on the ROI for the Youth team would be a good idea, we must be able to cobble together the snippets of info out there? Your right just because players don't come through to our first team that 10k might actually be generating 10 times that each year on sell ons which is reinvested in our first team. But maybe the trust need to shout about that more so people are more aware?

I am sure this whas been covered on the Trust website recently, one of the committee blogs ?

Rob's I would imagine, he is the guru where all things Youth football are concerned.

Yep.... http://www.shrimperstrust.co.uk/n_images/client/pdf/committee_blogs/04-27.02.12-rcraven.pdf

Unfortunatley, for me the key statement in this was in reagard to the EPPP ruling:
This bargaining tool allowed the Premier League clubs to gain two important concessions: the abolition of
the 90-minute travelling radius for players to be permitted to travel to get to Academies, and vastlyreduced
compensation terms for youngsters who are signed under the age of 16.
Whereas Southend were able to negotiate fair terms for the likes of Femi Orenuga (to Everton), Michael
Ngoo (to Liverpool) and Lyle Della-Verde (to Fulham), now even a teenager like Robert Hyams or Jack
Bridge, who have both been at the club since the age of eight, could leave for as little as £50,000 if they
do so before committing to a scholarship. It gives little incentive for Football League clubs to produce their
own talent.

A case of looking after the 'Fat Cats' of the premier league at the expense of the minows!

Unfortunatley, for me the key statement in this was in reagard to the EPPP ruling:
This bargaining tool allowed the Premier League clubs to gain two important concessions: the abolition of
the 90-minute travelling radius for players to be permitted to travel to get to Academies, and vastlyreduced
Whereas Southend were able to negotiate fair terms for the likes of Femi Orenuga (to Everton), Michael
Ngoo (to Liverpool) and Lyle Della-Verde (to Fulham), now even a teenager like Robert Hyams or Jack
Bridge, who have both been at the club since the age of eight, could leave for as little as £50,000 if they
do so before committing to a scholarship. It gives little incentive for Football League clubs to produce their
own talent.

A case of looking after the 'Fat Cats' of the premier league at the expense of the minows!
I know Ken, the fairness or otherwise of the EPPP ruling wasn't what was relevant here though, more the fact that Rob had put information about our ex youngsters out there in a recent blog, in answer to the point that the Trust don't advertise their successes enough.

own talent.

If those players break through into the first teams at those clubs, or earn the big clubs future transfer fees then the lower league clubs earn potentially a lot more money than the two-bob we got up front for the likes of Orenuga and Ngoo.

I've said it before , but I'm cautiously optimistic about EPPP in terms of what it will mean to the standard of coaching that kids will have access to in England.

I know Ken, the fairness or otherwise of the EPPP ruling wasn't what was relevant here though, more the fact that Rob had put information about our ex youngsters out there in a recent blog, in answer to the point that the Trust don't advertise their successes enough.

Fair point and goes to show I should actually read it. I would still be interested to know the totals over the past few years for our yoof.

What was the outcome, did the trust give the club money or not?

Don't know tbh Andy, I'll see if I can find out.

Ok, members were balloted and the results are being collated at the moment. As was expected, the Tour went ahead with or without the Trust putting any money "up front" as it were. I am told that due to holidays, the results are not ready to be disclosed, but that they will be made public in the early part of next week.

Last edited:
Back