• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2024/25 - Time to Cook šŸ‘Øā€šŸ³

Transfer news
As Iā€™ve stated, everyone of our players who signed a new deal rightly got pay rises. Not all of them were insignificant.

Iā€™ve given a list of names we were interested in, there is no denying the embargo left us well behind again. Walker & Gubbins were top targets, so we did manage to secure a couple of top targets, but as I hinted at, if the takeover happening earlier, and we secured our top targets (you never get all of them) we wouldnā€™t have the likes of the Saints lad, Pedder on trial.

We havenā€™t just missed out on our first choice target in some instances, weā€™ve missed out on our second and third.

As for Hayes, he moved earlier in the summer, the embargo put paid to that. Same with Jack Sims at Braintree who has moved, and Harrison Male at Dorking who signed for York. Thatā€™s three goalkeepers straight thereā€¦
Yeah I have no doubt the delay/embargo screwed us on the recruitment front. And I should imagine the lads that got new deals got nice bumps, GUS has an expensive looking hair do nowadays šŸ¤£

Left winger guy
Wind
Tshiminga
Pedder
Moncur
Ex arsenal goalie
Goalkeeping coach
All tomorrow... Pictures on c2c train pulling into Southend.

Anything else a disappointment.... (Tongue in cheek)

We would indeed have a super strong team for the season

For example I can't believe they didn't want Hayes back in....went to Barnet I believe. And now a bit of scrabbling around. I fully understand players not waiting around of course, bills to pay etc.
I wonder in any case if Hayes - or indeed any of the other GK targets BW mentioned would have been happy to come in as a #2 anyway. They seem the sort of players who would desire the #1 spot at this level. As it seems we are bringing in a separate GK coach, someone who could grow into Collin's shoes if he ever departs - and is happy to play that role - might be the move here.

Iā€™m surprised we went on the Ireland trip to be honest, with the flights, accommodation, food etc for the squad and staff, surely that would of paid a few+ months of Tshimanga season long loan %.

Perhaps they can afford these pre season trips and these type of players, I guess no one here knows
On the basis that Training Facilities available were either poor or not ready here, then whatever it cost would be money well spent. Flights to Ireland are relatively low cost, depending on the day of the week.

Remember money also needs to be spent on Roots Hall and everything needs doing at once. We won't be far away come the end of the season, but promotion isn't the only priority.

Is the budget tighter than a gnats chuff?
Again not throwing shade at anyone just a question or two.

At the end of last season it was mentioned that this seasons budget is lower than 23/24. What was never answered was if it's lower than the 23/24 budget or lower than what was actually spent. If the latter, considering we had 16 players most of the season, and a couple of those were non-contract and a couple of loans, then it's tighter than a gnats chuff.

If Tshimanga is on the rumoured 4k a week at Peterborough and could be as a League 1 level contract, itā€™s in his interest to let it run down. In his peak and willing to come down 2 divisions to play last year. If he does that again and scores a load, interest grows and will pick up a higher sign on bonus / better wages (albeit lesser than now) when free next summer. In his interest to play & Poshā€™ interest to save appprox Ā£200k from wage bill. Confident nobody will pay a fee, all about negotiating that % wage contribution with Posh. What do we believe our upper limits would be on Ā£/week in this new ownership structure?
The way to go would be lower base amount but with an add on fee if we achieve promotion. If we see too much risk / overstretching ourselves then we need to hold nerve and walk away from deals. Itā€™s a change in mindset and I trust the new owners will make the right call

i be happy with the arsenal lad for GK last time we signed a gk from Arsenal was brilliant that lad now plays in the premiershite at Wolves . i suppose if we sign this EARL guy his nickname will be Duke .( one for the oldies )

I think a few people are a tad confused with what budget we will have.

Despite the takeover, our budget for players and staff will be lower.

Not because COSU don't have the money, but the simple fact that there is alot of work to be done off the pitch over the next few seasons that will benefit the club in the long run

We will get there eventually, but not overnight

I wonder in any case if Hayes - or indeed any of the other GK targets BW mentioned would have been happy to come in as a #2 anyway. They seem the sort of players who would desire the #1 spot at this level. As it seems we are bringing in a separate GK coach, someone who could grow into Collin's shoes if he ever departs - and is happy to play that role - might be the move here.

Kev didnā€™t want a number 2. Wind isnā€™t being seen as a back up to GSM for example, Gubbins isnā€™t seen as back up for Ralph either. All are competition.

Kev wants a goalkeeper that can seriously challenge Collin, hence the names mentioned. This Arsenal lad (if anything comes of that one) isnā€™t going to be happy coming from a Champions League squad to the bench of a National League club, even though we are absolutely ****ing massive.

Kev wants a goalkeeper than when Collin is injured/suspended or even sold on, we have someone capable to step in and not have to bring in a loanee to do that.

He always wanted a separate goalkeeper coach, as I hinted at before. We were lucky that Martin was an excellent goalkeeper coach and a more than capable goalkeeper too. We werenā€™t going to get that lucky again.

Last edited:
Not meant as a criticism or big moan, but I was expecting a few more 'ready to complete once take over sorted' moves.
Gubbins and walker are good signings, no doubt but to not have a no.2 keeper lined up seems odd, 1 week to season and all that.
Is the budget tighter than a gnats chuff?
Again not throwing shade at anyone just a question or two.
Did the delay in takeover happening obliterate the list of players wanted?
For example I can't believe they didn't want Hayes back in....went to Barnet I believe. And now a bit of scrabbling around. I fully understand players not waiting around of course, bills to pay etc.

Signing Cardwell, GSM and Bridge was the best bit of business in the NL this summer. Even Barnet must be jealous that we could do that.

Then add Walker and Gubbins with more good news to follow today.......Some of our fans need a reality check form the threat of no club to moaning about numbers.....When it is always quality that wins you promotion. You have all seen it with your own eyes. You can name the the main 12 or 13 players that have won us promotions in the past.....There never has been a list of 28 that won us anything.

COSU have done the easy bit by getting rid of Ron. Now for their toughest task... keeping a certain percentage of our fans happy.

Signing Cardwell, GSM and Bridge was the best bit of business in the NL this summer. Even Barnet must be jealous that we could do that.

Then add Walker and Gubbins with more good news to follow today.......Some of our fans need a reality check form the threat of no club to moaning about numbers.....When it is always quality that wins you promotion. You have all seen it with your own eyes. You can name the the main 12 or 13 players that have won us promotions in the past.....There never has been a list of 28 that won us anything.

COSU have done the easy bit by getting rid of Ron. Now for their toughest task... keeping a certain percentage of our fans happy.
Very true, this. When we've had a good season it's invariably been with a tight knit squad rather than a big expansive one. If you run with 6 strikers, 4 of them are going to be cheesed off every game that they aren't playing. Our squad needs tweaking, not overhaul - and we need to ensure those who we bring in give us something we don't have already (which is a fairly solid National League team).

Gubbins is a good addition because he's played a season higher up and is left footed which frees up Ralph which then frees up Bridge (if we want). Pedder looks like he might offer something we don't have already too. I'm still waiting for Dackers to reappear, hopefully in a slightly deeper role than last time. This lad from Billericay would provide much needed cover on the right - and that would be a pretty good summer's recruitment from my perspective.

OSU haveC done the easy bit by getting rid of Ron. Now for their toughest task... keeping a certain percentage of our fans happy.
hmmm

Very true, this. When we've had a good season it's invariably been with a tight knit squad rather than a big expansive one. If you run with 6 strikers, 4 of them are going to be cheesed off every game that they aren't playing. Our squad needs tweaking, not overhaul - and we need to ensure those who we bring in give us something we don't have already (which is a fairly solid National League team).

Gubbins is a good addition because he's played a season higher up and is left footed which frees up Ralph which then frees up Bridge (if we want). Pedder looks like he might offer something we don't have already too. I'm still waiting for Dackers to reappear, hopefully in a slightly deeper role than last time. This lad from Billericay would provide much needed cover on the right - and that would be a pretty good summer's recruitment from my perspective.
would hope we could do better than Dackers but doubt kev would want him in on loan again. It would be signing or nothing i guess. Would be disappointing to go from possibly getting Tshimanaga to the get Dackers. But thats my opinion. Think he divides opinion

would hope we could do better than Dackers but doubt kev would want him in on loan again. It would be signing or nothing i guess. Would be disappointing to go from possibly getting Tshimanaga to the get Dackers. But thats my opinion. Think he divides opinion
Agree think this year could be our year need a couple more letā€™s hope with that sales budget may be squeezed a little.

do we know if Demetriou and the new keeper coach will be registered as players? just seems an easy way to keep a small squad with some extra options if needed. Collin has been injured a fair bit for a keeper, but then he's been thrown into mens football at a very young age so could just be growing pains. So seems like the other keeper would play, but a big risk for them to come in when Collin is already the business

Back