• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
He is a defensive midfielder who played 36 times in the championship last season and was their player of the season in L1 when promoted. Not a bad strike rate though tbf from that position looking at those stats!

I don't think the embargo will be lifted anytime soon, well if it does it will be at the last moment. We may lose players after the end of the month, i just hope we can satisfy the NL bosses that we are still fit to be in this crap league...How wonderful that we have stooped this low to worry about being chucked out of the NL. *sigh*
Cricko but if the club are removed from this "crap league" (to quote you) what are you going to make of a lower league?

Absolutely this.

If this takeover didn’t happen until (let’s hypothetically say) September, it’s not the end of the world as we’d still have 6-7 months to get the on-field issues sorted.

You’d have to expect a decent financial injection into the playing side accompanying the takeover too, which would go some way towards helping.

Oldham looked ****ed for the first half of last season. Now they’re poaching our starlets. Give it time and it’ll be us doing the poaching.

And above all else, the indisputable number one goal/achievement/success for the upcoming season will be finally exorcising Ron from this Club. Anything else, IMO, is a bonus.
We be out of business before September!

Starting the season with Collin is no hardship at all and in fact very few sides will have as good a backup across the division.

I am far more worried about options elsewhere. With Lopata and Hobson gone since last season we've lost the crux of what was in my biased opinion the league's best defence.

Our midfield is good, but the worry is that our personnel in that department will leave, as attracted clubs dangle decent money and more importantly job/life security.

I don't like our strikeforce to be honest. Sandat is a youngster who while very talented is not ready to bear the burden of spearheading an upwardly mobile outfit. Cardwell is not someone who can go very long without injury. Callum Powell blows hot and cold.

With pre-season coming in the next fortnight we're all desperate for some clarity. The takeover stuff determines what we can do with our squad as people will obviously point to, but I just wanted to speak normally about the team for a second like other fanbases have the luxury to.

For a start, why are you on a forum for Southend United supporters? 🤯

The obsession with this club that a lot of Dagenham fans have bewilders me. You only have to look at their response to Justham's contract extension on Twitter and it makes you laugh.

For your record, as I know a lot of our fanbase were correct and quick to point out the same with the news I posted re Andrew Dallas: at no point have I said WE ARE signing Elliot Justham, Sam Ling, Andrew Dallas or anyone for that matter this summer given our inability to sign players. I have always said these are players we are in for and that management have identified and are interested in signing.

In the past I said for definite that we were signing Blondy, Lomas, GSM and Taylor, and that news came through.

What I will say is that John Still and Kevin Maher wanted him badly. Contrary to what Dagenham fans think, he met up with the pair a number of times this off-season and as recent as last week.

Dagenham were scared to lose him considering the turnover of their squad since Strevens came in and the experienced players that had moved on or that they were looking to move on (McCallum, Balanta, Robinson, Onariase). He never signed the deal with Dagenham in May. He did not get the offer until about a week and a half ago, after I first tweeted that we were interested and the interest was more in the open. He was stalling on that offer of a new contract, resulting in Dagenham putting pressure on him to put pen to paper. Especially more so given Dagenham start pre-season training on Monday. The player was understandably concerned should the deal fall away.

He was identified as our number one target for the GK position, even before the departure of Arnold was formally announced. Their interest goes as far back to last season when I first mentioned that we were interested, but for obvious reasons nothing ever developed from that because of the embargo. Their hands have been tied for that exact reason.

This is a very good point though...

IF Kimura do complete the sale of the club then I am told there will be a five man board (Peter Taylor will be one of those in an advisory capacity, father-in-law of Simon Jackson, the Chief Financial Officer at Kimura Capital and the one who keeps posting premature stories on Instagram concerning the sale of the club). Taylor is a man who managed Justham at Dagenham: knows him well, rates him highly and is very complimentary of him. See 02:47 back in November 2019:

Kimura will have the funds made available and management will look to revisit signing him. But that will now depend on whether we look to bring in someone else instead now...

Management at the club think it is hard to say whether it will take a week or three weeks (12 July, AKA D-Day) - but they are of the view the sale will be done.

Kimura are still in the driving seat as I understand it. Friday is a key date because they are will be having a meeting with Ron Martin to try and iron out the issues holding up the sale of the club. I am told they recently spent over £300,000 on legal fees to finalise the purchase of the club.

Southend were prepared to pay Dagenham money for Justham (he was never out of contract like Ling) in any event. It is my understanding that the maximum Southend would have offered would have been a £30,000 fee and an additional £20,000 fee as a bonus should we be promoted. Shows the intent and backing Kimura would provide to the management team if the sale is completed. Like I said, they may revisit it. I have a feeling this one is not completely dead in the water...

John Still rates Justham highly. He signed him for Luton, giving him his first break in the professional game, and then took him to Dagenham with him where he has developed into one of the best keepers in the division.

The news is frustrating nonetheless and not what we were hoping for, especially with pre-season around the corner. The beauty of the NL though is that there is no transfer deadline until the final stages of the season.

But what this shows though is that the longer this sale takes to complete the further behind we will be in comparison to our rivals when the season does start, and other targets, such as Dallas and/or Daly, may end up doing the exact same as Ling and signing a new contract elsewhere because they cannot afford to wait at this level.

The other worry is whether Bridge or Ralph (both out of contract), who have agreed in principle to remain at the club start to get cold feet the longer this drags out. But given the assurances and what I am told above, I'm positive that they will stay.

Think I speak for all of us, and I feel like a broken record when I say it, but the sooner we get this takeover completed & embargo sorted the better.

Up the Shrimpers 🦐💙

First of all I’m not obsessed with Southend merely a fan of an opponent who has come on here to give my view on you trying to sign one of our players. Far too long in the tooth for any other games. I have only ever wished you guys well in getting your owner out, just because a few kids get silly on Twitter suddenly we’re all obsessed, most daggers I know couldn’t care less about Southend.

Secondly some of the information you have been given on this saga is nonsense, I personally know Justham’s agent who just so happens to be a dagenham supporter, he is also a goalkeeper and is coached by Justham.

The first offer to Justham was back in March not last week, he wanted the same that you were promising but at the time we couldn’t afford it on our new much reduced budget but now we have as per my origina post with Balanta agreeing a pay off. The big factor is he could have waited for a takeover to go through as he was not out of contract, so what if the deal was taken off the table he was still paid for another year.

Like I saw not here for banter just to provide insight and opinion.

I wouldn’t let Peter Taylor anywhere near your club, he was getting us relegated from this league in a £2m budget, think Phil Brown but worse.

I wouldn’t let Peter Taylor anywhere near your club, he was getting us relegated from this league in a £2m budget, think Phil Brown but worse.
Spud managed us in the 90s so we’re well aware of his, erm, capabilities as manager. I still have nightmares about that time we sent future Premier League forward Tommy Mooney to Watford in return for future L2 bench warmer Donkey Dublin and we gave them £100k for the privilege of being fleeced.

I do hope we bring back that freekick routine when two players run into each other as that was hilarious.

Spud managed us in the 90s so we’re well aware of his, erm, capabilities as manager. I still have nightmares about that time we sent future Premier League forward Tommy Mooney to Watford in return for future L2 bench warmer Donkey Dublin and we gave them £100k for the privilege of being fleeced.

I do hope we bring back that freekick routine when two players run into each other as that was hilarious.
But to be fair they did also throw in the Puch Maxi that Dion used to use to get back into his own half following the odd foray into the opposition's penalty area.

First of all I’m not obsessed with Southend merely a fan of an opponent who has come on here to give my view on you trying to sign one of our players. Far too long in the tooth for any other games. I have only ever wished you guys well in getting your owner out, just because a few kids get silly on Twitter suddenly we’re all obsessed, most daggers I know couldn’t care less about Southend.

Secondly some of the information you have been given on this saga is nonsense, I personally know Justham’s agent who just so happens to be a dagenham supporter, he is also a goalkeeper and is coached by Justham.

The first offer to Justham was back in March not last week, he wanted the same that you were promising but at the time we couldn’t afford it on our new much reduced budget but now we have as per my origina post with Balanta agreeing a pay off. The big factor is he could have waited for a takeover to go through as he was not out of contract, so what if the deal was taken off the table he was still paid for another year.

Like I saw not here for banter just to provide insight and opinion.

We know all about Peter Taylor … did a great job in ruining a good team many years ago when at the helm of the shrimpers … his track record in management is pretty poor, having said that he’s been an England caretaker manager and a premier league manager . He is a supposed to be a fantastic coach.. two very different things. But this is exactly what we need at the club someone like PT on the board … knows the club the town the leagues the people involved like the back of his hand .is a proven good guy a nice guy and will have nothing more than SUFC and their interest at heart . Most importantly the dream manage my team will know him well and sounds like they are all working together already. No to PT as manager but deffo a great choice to have him overseeing football at the club

This is getting so depressing now. Chesterfield are one of the favourites already to go up but they are doing some series business this window. If not for the embargo no doubt others would be saying the same about us but each day/week goes by the list gets shorter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back