• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it? Talking about EFL transfer deadline day when we’re not even in the playoffs of the league below? Surely that’s the definition of getting ahead of ourselves?
Re-read the post. I did put IF / when we get promoted. It's been an age since we could sign any players. A very long embargo and we are finally out of it. I made an optimistic post that as a club we could one day actually get excited about transfer deadline day when back in the EFL rather than several Transfer Deadline days where no activity for our club.

Surely every fan hopes their club advances to the next league, or do you aim for mid-table mediocrity year after year.

Re-read the post. I did put IF / when we get promoted. It's been an age since we could sign any players. A very long embargo and we are finally out of it. I made an optimistic post that as a club we could one day actually get excited about transfer deadline day when back in the EFL rather than several Transfer Deadline days where no activity for our club.

Surely every fan hopes their club advances to the next league, or do you aim for mid-table mediocrity year after year.
No need to justify the excitement. We have all had a barrel load of misery and I think of any club in the country - our fans have the right to dream and soak up every positive step that we are seeing. I'm a middle aged professional - with a demanding job - that has been refreshing the website hourly for glimmers of hope. I nearly cried when the news came through. I'm happy to buy into the dream that some signings will rocket us into the play offs and see us romp to victory in front of 30 thousand blues fans - it's those daydreams that make me smile and keep me going with the mundane in life. Keep dreaming - I'm going to until it is physically impossible to go up. And if this happens - I will spend the summer planning the title charge next season.

I wonder if kev and co are also looking at decent loanees, not much been said on this subject, surely especially as we do really require two strikers one could be a loanee, I say this as i believe the type of football kev and co have got the team playing could be very attractive to some clubs who are looking to loan out some of their decent young lads for experience.Im talking about Premiershite and C.hampionship clubs.

I agree with a lot on here. Lets survive this season and push for promotion next season.

We are signing players the league below or even lower so it will be perfect for them to adjust for the next six months of the season. We can use this season to blend them in as looking at the odds we dont have much of a chance of promotion this season.

Lets just enjoy the new Southend United and see where we tet to. Its a difficult league to get out of but JR has a plan. To be a sustainable running company. Promotion will be a bonus.

We could be in non league for many years but with the foundations and new owners set in place we will be a football league club at some point.

Interesting that we haven't announced other signings today. Would it be a leap to suggest that Morton won't start tomorrow but the other 1 (or 2) will?
That would be my view. If waldron is one of them for example and has been training with us then why not throw him straight In. He is a goal scorer in good form and one thing we do well is to create chances, just need a striker to tuck them away. Would also help Sandat with a recognised striker up there with him

I agree with a lot on here. Lets survive this season and push for promotion next season.

We are signing players the league below or even lower so it will be perfect for them to adjust for the next six months of the season. We can use this season to blend them in as looking at the odds we dont have much of a chance of promotion this season.

Lets just enjoy the new Southend United and see where we tet to. Its a difficult league to get out of but JR has a plan. To be a sustainable running company. Promotion will be a bonus.

We could be in non league for many years but with the foundations and new owners set in place we will be a football league club at some point.
Great post. One thing that has worked this season was that due to the embargo we only had the players left from last season. They knew how Kev wanted them to play, how each other plays. This summer shouldn’t be anything different. Assuming a majority of the squad remains the we bring in maybe 3-5 players over the next few months that gain the experience in training and playing games so that come pre season there won’t be a huge over haul of players making the process more seamless. I’m sure we will lose a few and sign a few in the summer but don’t think it will be a huge turnaround. Play offs this year would be a bonus and whatever comes with that but for me it’s about building for a real good go next season

Not sure I’d agree with that, he always looked way too good for the NL whenever I’ve seen him. He murdered us down the left in the 0-4 home defeat a couple of seasons ago.
Sorry to add to my own post but I meant the 0-4 v Daggers.

100% this
Things might not be quite so simple....we started the campaign following a curtailed pre season and have played every fixture with less than a full bench. In the circumstances our results have been remarkable but it would not be surprising if there was a physical cost to our over achieving.
On top of all that the mental pressures were enormous with not only a concern as to whether wages would be paid but also dealing with the threat the club might go out of existence. The past few months have been brutal for the supporters so just imagine how the ups and downs of all this might have affected the players.
To assume that by sticking to what has been a skeleton squad will yield us the same results in the second half of the season might be overly optimistic.
The nl is tough demanding and attrional competition; we do need reinforcements and soon!
We are all well aware that a play off spot is within reach but I cannot see it happening by sticking with the players who have served us so well so far this season. The workload is heavy and needs to be shared around otherwise the spine of the team might be on their knees before Easter.

That would be my view. If waldron is one of them for example and has been training with us then why not throw him straight In. He is a goal scorer in good form and one thing we do well is to create chances, just need a striker to tuck them away. Would also help Sandat with a recognised striker up there with him
Apparently, Dean Brenna has sent Bielsa down to spy on us training a few times this week just find out if we've got any new, unannounced players in our ranks.

I don’t need to re-read it. I know what you put. And no, of course I don’t want mid-table, I want success as much as any other fan.

I’m just maybe in the “let’s not run before we can walk” camp. That doesn’t make me pessimistic just realistic. There’s only 2 promotion places in this league and although I firmly believe we outplay pretty much every team we do still get turned over due to inept referees, mis-fortune and the odd poor team performance.

To get out of this league you’ve either got to have the perfect season ala Chesterfield or win a playoff lottery. So even with the ability to sign players it doesn’t mean we’ll suddenly walk the league, it just means we can do what any other team can do.

I’m optimistic on our chances next season due to having John Still and the rest of our football department and scouting network. Not every other team has that. But I’m not thinking about being back in the EFL yet in the same way as I’m not imagining winning the FA Cup.

I do think eventually we’ll be an EFL side again. The bigger sides tend to find a way eventually. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we had a couple of unsuccessful playoff runs before that happens as it’s a real battle to get out of this league.

I do think eventually we’ll be an EFL side again. The bigger sides tend to find a way eventually. But I wouldn’t be surprised if we had a couple of unsuccessful playoff runs before that happens as it’s a real battle to get out of this league.
I think I agree. It will be like Wrexham in that sense. I wouldn’t be surprised though if the bookies have us as title favourites next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back