• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
I'm hoping that could be Wealdstone's Sean Adarkwa. Under contract for 24-25 but paying a modest fee now could prove to be a shrewd longer term investment.
Dangerous. We know those pesky Barnety bee boys are monitoring this page heavily, as is Uggla and his northern monkey botherers.

I'm hoping that could be Wealdstone's Sean Adarkwa. Under contract for 24-25 but paying a modest fee now could prove to be a shrewd longer term investment.
I'm just hoping we sign players that Mrs RHB can pronounce. It's bad enough that it takes half a season for her to remember their names without the mispronunciation game in West Stand T Block!

Yeah I would agree with this, unusually.

I just think getting one of only two NL promotion spots is so hard to do that if we can have an absolute banker for 20-25 goals up front (probably more given all the chances we create) then we should absolutely go for it.

The only hesitation would be if either the player wanted wages that we shouldn’t be agreeing to (relative to our budget, or if our other players would be unhappy their wages were much lower) or if the player came with some attitude or other baggage that might disrupt a tight squad.
I’ve said this before but we’ve struggled to complete with attracting high profile strikers, we can’t even match their current salaries. Plus in most cases there would also be a purchase fee. 20+ goals a season players demand a bigger salary than most other players in the side.

IF McCallum was to arrive, he would have to take a significant pay cut from what I’m told he is on at Eastleigh (assuming that figure is correct).

He is on big, big money (for this level) there, and part of the reason they are considering letting him go. He will not be getting the same, or more, here. No chance whatsoever.

The consortium, assuming the takeover happens as it should, WILL NOT be paying those types of figures. The days of players, on their last legs, coming here for their last payday will be LONG gone.

Depends how you look at it.

How much would you pay for promotion.

Why do the likes of Wrexham pay mulling and chesterfield will grigg etc..

Promotion is worth millions and the resinstatement of the academy.

Or the other flip of the coin is we learn absolutely nothing from the countless winding up petitions, court cases and transfer embargo’s and waste millions.

I know the route I’d rather go down…

Promotion is worth a million or 2, but your costs also go up - we didn't make a profit and I don't think many league 2 teams do.

Eastleigh paid for McCallum and he didn’t get them promoted.

In fact I’m not sure he’s even been promoted in his career?

Throwing money we didn’t have after players who could allegedly win us promotion is how we got in the mess we are in.

Why do you want to be like Ron?

Loosing Powell with a transfer embargo is ridiculously bad business

He simply has to stay until we can bring in an upgrade
He's turned down a contract.

We offered a contract.

He turned it down.

Are you suggesting we should have offered over the odds for a player well below the level of ability required?

That would have been good business based on your rationale yes?

Eastleigh paid for McCallum and he didn’t get them promoted.

In fact I’m not sure he’s even been promoted in his career?

Throwing money we didn’t have after players who could allegedly win us promotion is how we got in the mess we are in.

Why do you want to be like Ron?

Because we already have the nucleus of a very good squad. I'm not saying ditch the principles but probably one or two marquee signings are the difference between play offs and autos

He's turned down a contract.

We offered a contract.

He turned it down.

Are you suggesting we should have offered over the odds for a player well below the level of ability required?

That would have been good business based on your rationale yes?
When was this public knowledge?

Because we already have the nucleus of a very good squad. I'm not saying ditch the principles but probably one or two marquee signings are the difference between play offs and autos

But you could argue we have done that with Lopata, who was a marquee signing and Mooney (young player of the year the season before and we beat some EFL sides to his signature).

No player we sign is guaranteed to be a success, every player is a risk. You can’t say if we sign McCullum (30 odd goals last season) and Pearce (40 odd goals) we will 100% go up. As @Yorkshire Blue stated, players need to fit into our style. Them do did last season at their clubs, but doesn’t mean they’d match that tally with us.

Even if we signed Bellingham (player of the year in Spain), Foden (player of the year in England) and Kane (player of the year in Germany) there is no guarantee they’d be a success here.

There are countless examples of players being a success somewhere and fail somewhere else. Eastwood never hit the heights after leaving us, Corr’s best season was with us, Tomlin had a superb season with us and Constantine. Neville Southall was dreadful for us, Mooney wasn’t a success and so on.

But you could argue we have done that with Lopata, who was a marquee signing and Mooney (young player of the year the season before and we beat some EFL sides to his signature).

No player we sign is guaranteed to be a success, every player is a risk. You can’t say if we sign McCullum (30 odd goals last season) and Pearce (40 odd goals) we will 100% go up. As @Yorkshire Blue stated, players need to fit into our style. Them do did last season at their clubs, but doesn’t mean they’d match that tally with us.

Even if we signed Bellingham (player of the year in Spain), Foden (player of the year in England) and Kane (player of the year in Germany) there is no guarantee they’d be a success here.

There are countless examples of players being a success somewhere and fail somewhere else. Eastwood never hit the heights after leaving us, Corr’s best season was with us, Tomlin had a superb season with us and Constantine. Neville Southall was dreadful for us, Mooney wasn’t a success and so on.
Nothing to do with us, but Ian Rush is probably the best example of that.

Back