• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I would be surprised if it isn't. That said, I was surprised when he wasn't available for us at the same time as Morton. He wants to come here, personal terms agreed, fee agreed, photo taken (I think). Just the sell on clause remains.
That sound positive, does seem to be taking longer than many had thought it would, hardly like a deal for a player between two Prem clubs is taking place but the management must really want this guy to keep persevering with the deal. Frustrating to think it’s over this sell on clause which you would have thought would have been a bit more straight forward for a player at this level. In Tom we trust

Yeah I would be surprised if it isn't. That said, I was surprised when he wasn't available for us at the same time as Morton. He wants to come here, personal terms agreed, fee agreed, photo taken (I think). Just the sell on clause remains.
If that’s true that kinda beggars belief tbh. Surely both clubs have got a % at which they’d deal. I know there’s always a bit of gamesmanship holding out for better offers etc but like with buying a house, at some point as a seller you’ve got to fear the buyer going elsewhere.

I suppose as a top scorer in the division below Rushall think they’ll have backup suitors should we pull out. Fingers crossed it’s done in time for Saturday.

If that’s true that kinda beggars belief tbh. Surely both clubs have got a % at which they’d deal. I know there’s always a bit of gamesmanship holding out for better offers etc but like with buying a house, at some point as a seller you’ve got to fear the buyer going elsewhere.

I suppose as a top scorer in the division below Rushall think they’ll have backup suitors should we pull out. Fingers crossed it’s done in time for Saturday.
I believe it indicates that both parties believe there is a player here capable of playing at a higher level. If we were thinking it was possible that we bin him off at the end of a contract to a team at the same level, then I don't think this would be such a point of contention.

So other than Waldron hopefully signing, is there any other rumours? I’d love to See Hayes back but I know he’s on loan somewhere, I’m not sure if that was till the end of the season or what but he was great I thought, perfect competition for Colin imo.

As has been already pointed out by others this transfer is not taking any longer than many other of our previous signings in the long and distant past when we were actually allowed to sign players.

Obviously our long period under embargo has made many of my dear fellow shrimperzoners impatient for action and these feelings may have been further stoked by the fact that at the moment DW seems to be the only rumoured imminent 'incoming'.

Could some of the ITK's conjure up at least two if not three or four names of players allegedly about to sign for u?. This can be either in the form of naming names, or, even better, by hints so vague as to be riddles. This would divert the attention of many away from the DW transfer and ease their anxiety which now seems to be running at fever pitch.

If the DW transfer does not materialise it will neither be the first or last time for the Club that fairly advanced negotiations fall at or near the final hurdle. Not only that but this happens all the time in football.

Should DW line up for us on Saturday I would guess that by historical standards these negotiations would not have proved to be over long although some days it does feel that way.

And as I am sure has already mentioned, for all sorts of reasons, good players are not easy to sign, and many players that might be quick signings are not what we want or need.

As has been already pointed out by others this transfer is not taking any longer than many other of our previous signings in the long and distant past when we were actually allowed to sign players.

Obviously our long period under embargo has made many of my dear fellow shrimperzoners impatient for action and these feelings may have been further stoked by the fact that at the moment DW seems to be the only rumoured imminent 'incoming'.

Could some of the ITK's conjure up at least two if not three or four names of players allegedly about to sign for u?. This can be either in the form of naming names, or, even better, by hints so vague as to be riddles. This would divert the attention of many away from the DW transfer and ease their anxiety which now seems to be running at fever pitch.

If the DW transfer does not materialise it will neither be the first or last time for the Club that fairly advanced negotiations fall at or near the final hurdle. Not only that but this happens all the time in football.

Should DW line up for us on Saturday I would guess that by historical standards these negotiations would not have proved to be over long although some days it does feel that way.

And as I am sure has already mentioned, for all sorts of reasons, good players are not easy to sign, and many players that might be quick signings are not what we want or need.

I think I agree with the overall message here - that we’re not usually privy to the finer details of how protracted transfer negotiations can be. I’d also add into the mix I don’t think we, as fans, would be as bothered by delays like this if it were June or early July.

However it’s not the close season, it’s a key part of the season and our top scorer is out injured and in our last game we’ve scraped a victory despite enough chances to win 3 or 4 games. That good fortune won’t happen every week and sooner or later a lack of firepower catches up with a team.

We know that this transfer could have been tied up in time for Waldron to start away at Barnet. That was 3 weeks ago. Which suggests that the majority of the deal was agreed some time ago. I think it’s natural for fans to get a bit nervous if we’ve been at the “exchange of contracts” stage of a purchase for 3 weeks and haven’t yet got the keys.

The frustration is pretty understandable re transfers and for also not having the existing players resigned on new contracts immediately embargo was lifted.
However I get the impression there is a lot more of proceed with extreme caution ⚠️ until the takeover is fully completed . Problem is this ended up bang in the EFL transfer window, thx Ron

Reactions: jnl
The frustration is pretty understandable re transfers and for also not having the existing players resigned on new contracts immediately embargo was lifted.
However I get the impression there is a lot more of proceed with extreme caution ⚠️ until the takeover is fully completed . Problem is this ended up bang in the EFL transfer window, thx Ron

It is understandable, however I think games like Football Manager and FIFA are giving some people unrealistic expectations as to how quick a transfer goes through, or how quick it is to extend someone’s contract.

Waldron isn’t even the longest transfer “saga” under Maher. Without naming names, we spent longer than this to bring in someone previously.

Negotiations take time. Not everyone involved, Maher & the footballing department, TL, agents, player (new or existing for a contract renewal), selling Club, National League (for registrations), FA etc spends 24 hours a day on the deals.

I think it’ll be done by Saturday, but it may not. Time will tell.

Harry Forrester if I remember correctly, rejected us a couple of times

Incorrect, although he is someone we chased briefly.

Izzy Irekpen, former Swansea and West Ham centre half, was someone we chased for a very long time under Tilson. Did his medical, agreed terms, shook hands on the deal, photos done etc. The day he was due to turn up to Roots Hall to sign contracts and then be “unveiled” as a new signing, he didn’t turn up. No reason, no phone call, nothing. Just blanked Tilson and the Club. He would have been a superb signing, but for whatever reason he decided against it.

It is understandable, however I think games like Football Manager and FIFA are giving some people unrealistic expectations as to how quick a transfer goes through, or how quick it is to extend someone’s contract.

Waldron isn’t even the longest transfer “saga” under Maher. Without naming names, we spent longer than this to bring in someone previously.

Negotiations take time. Not everyone involved, Maher & the footballing department, TL, agents, player (new or existing for a contract renewal), selling Club, National League (for registrations), FA etc spends 24 hours a day on the deals.

I think it’ll be done by Saturday, but it may not. Time will tell.
To be fair though we were also told that several signings were all lined up just waiting for embargo to be lifted. Expectations were raised and, for various reasons already discussed multiple times in this thread, not delivered upon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back