• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer News and Gossip Transfer Rumours Thread 2023-24 (Part 2 - Back in Business. Oh no we’re not)

Transfer news
Status
Not open for further replies.
They are working on it.

But, we’ve been working on it before the Barnet game.

Time will tell.
Hope he will be worth it with all this time working on it. but with all the hours spent by the footballing department trying to get the right players in if we have to wait a bit longer then so beit. Moreton looks a solid signing and Crowther seems to have the rights attributes so in JS with trust

Last edited:

Josh Walker is certainly someone I would like to see here. Rumoured to have been on the radar in the past before his move to Burton, which doesn't appear to have gone well for him.

The perfect foil for Cards IMO, quick, direct and a proper goalscorer.

Perhaps slightly out of reach for us at the moment and might get a move to a L2 club.

I'd be surprised though if we haven't at least asked the question. Even a loan deal would perhaps suit all parties?

Josh Walker is certainly someone I would like to see here. Rumoured to have been on the radar in the past before his move to Burton, which doesn't appear to have gone well for him.

Perhaps slightly out of reach for us at the moment and might get a move to a L2 club.

I'd be surprised though if we haven't at least asked the question. Even a loan deal would perhaps suit all parties?

Can confirm he is someone we're interested in.

Played for Still and Currie, and both know him very well.

Does likes from @London Shrimper and @BoyWonder2 give us a sneaky clue?

He was one I recommend to cp from he’s striker targets post . Be smart signing imo if the price is right as there be stiff competition for sure. But on loan until end of season worth a shout for sure.

Last edited:
Josh Walker would be a big statement signing I reckon.

Apparently Burton paid £200k a year ago for him, and if that’s true then I think they‘ll want to recoup a fair chunk of it, say £100k?

Surely that kind of money is out of reach for us right now?

I can’t see this one happening unless Burton are happy just to get him off the wage book?

Apparently Burton paid £200k a year ago for him, and if that’s true then I think they‘ll want to recoup a fair chunk of it, say £100k?

I can’t see this one happening unless Burton are happy just to get him off the wage book?
They may be happy for him to go to a team on loan. He could potentially recapture his scoring form, playing for a side that plays good football with plenty of game time for him to take part in. He could go to a league 2 side and not play. If Burton have invested that much money in him, sending him on loan to try and rekindle his previous form would make sense.

It would be a fantastic signing but one that's probably out of reach but if you don't ask, you don't get. Here's hoping 🤞

Burton have just appointed a new manager this morning (Martin Paterson) so that may slow things down a little in terms of any incomings/outgoings at Burton. I'd imagine he'd want a couple of weeks to assess what he has, before making any decisions.

So perhaps if we were in for anyone there, it might be a slow burner/lastminute.com move once the window closes and only if a transfer to another EFL team hasn't materialised?

I imagine that budgets are less about what is out of reach and more about what's prudent. The consortium have the cash, my impression is just that they don't want to throw it around recklessly.

Obviously this is all speculation, but I imagine if we thought investing £100k in a player would provide more than £100k upside then they would be open to it.

As for Walker, I'm intrigued if we're more interested in a perm or loan deal, @londonshrimper.? Obviously the upside of the loan is less risk but has a ceiling as if he really kicks on then he's out of our grasp beyond this season.

I'd imagine the ideal from our perspective is a loan with an option to buy, ala Timo Werner. We cover a decent chunk of his wages (whatever we can within our structure) and if it goes well we can pick him up for ~£100k in the summer, but no obligation.

The question is whether Burton would agree to the option in a loan deal, I guess? If not, then we'd have to decide whether we want higher risk higher reward (perm), or lower risk lower reward (loan).

Regarding Walker, he seems very much a confidence player who has hot and cold streaks, which could explain why he's struggled jumping two divisions as you're more likely to get cold streaks than hot there.

This article from when he signed for Burton states:

Josh Walker was among the purest finishers in the National League, slightly underrated in that regard, capable of manufacturing opportunities through his own rapid pace and silky footwork as well as service from elsewhere. Though a largely confidence-fuelled player who suffered intermittent goal droughts at Dagenham, when on form the 25 year-old is borderline unplayable, and that was certainly the case more often than not. Certainly since the turn of the new year, since which he has been one of the division's most in-form players: a late headed winner at Maidstone United, clinical deficit-halver at home to Woking then brace against Aldershot Town.

Also sounds like he may have had some injury problems at Barnet (before Daggers), judging by this Barnet fans reply, but Still & Currie worked with him there so will be aware of that:

The idea that we will spend £100k on any player while we are in the NL is laughable

Yes we've been taken over, but we're not in the position to be making those kind of moves
Is that because you think we'd judge £100k on a player as not prudent, or because you think we don't have access to those funds?

Seeing some of the names on the consortium I can't imagine it's the latter. The consortium may have agreed to limit how much investment goes in, but it won't be a case of can't, it will be a case of choosing not to.

I'm totally for that, we should definitely aim to be sustainable, but you can be sustainable and invest when good opportunities arise. Whether this is a good opportunity is another question.

We’ve already shown we’re happy to spend a rumoured £35k on a defender from the league below who would be available for free in 6 months time, and we don’t even really need a defender right now, it’s more one for backup and next season. The idea of spending a bit more on a striker (who are more expensive if they have a track record and is a position we do need and could have a marked effect on playoff chances this season) doesn’t seem wild.

Is that because you think we'd judge £100k on a player as not prudent, or because you think we don't have access to those funds?

Seeing some of the names on the consortium I can't imagine it's the latter. The consortium may have agreed to limit how much investment goes in, but it won't be a case of can't, it will be a case of choosing not to.

I'm totally for that, we should definitely aim to be sustainable, but you can be sustainable and invest when good opportunities arise. Whether this is a good opportunity is another question.

We’ve already shown we’re happy to spend a rumoured £35k on a defender from the league below who would be available for free in 6 months time, and we don’t even really need a defender right now, it’s more one for backup and next season. The idea of spending a bit more on a striker (who are more expensive if they have a track record and is a position we do need and could have a marked effect on playoff chances this season) doesn’t seem wild.

With the exception of defensive midfielders going to London clubs, strikers always command the highest transfer fees because of what they do. Goals are gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back