• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly and Brush to Brighton

Coppell out of running for Brighton job. He is not interested. Wants to manage a bigger club in a higher division. So.....

Well I'd not seen this thread until 5 mins ago but yesterday my better half mentioned that a "plod" colleague of hers who knows a man etc etc told her that Tilly would go to Brighton if offered the job.

This is like the aunts/mothers/brothers hairdresser type link we all hate, so sorry, but his information is that Tilly
- is totally hacked off (some BW interviews would bear that out),
- has no pressing family reasons to stay locally (I know he split up with his wife quite some time ago, but wouldn't know his current situation)
- doesn't get on with Ron & hasn't for some time (well even some of Ron's pieces with the Foran blame game have more than hinted at that & another source told me ages ago that Ron simply doesn't trust Tilly in the transfer market after Foran/Paynter/Harrold et al).

So personally I can see this happening. However it's the club's prerogative to deny an approach which they've done in the past. Surely though there comes a time when that becomes unfair to even as loyal servant as Tilly if he's set on leaving & is that unhappy?

Last edited:
I'm absolutely sure Tilson loves Southend, but would that stop him going elsewhere? I think not and Brighton have a decent squad that doesnt tell the full story of their league position, an decent backer and perhaps the change would do him and Brush good.

I'd not blame him if he left given all the circumstances - perhaps he is hanging on to see if Ron is still at the helm when/if Brighton approach.

If the worst comes to the worst and Tilson does leavethem I am sure he will go to a club with a lot more potential than Brighton.

Exactly, he wont go to a club bottom of the league. He loves this club too much, just ridiculous everytime a job vacancy comes up, someone who has a "source" at the club says hes off! Bollox, he is here until either Ron sacks him or an offer he simply cant resist comes up. Brighton dont fall in that category.

Well I'd not seen this thread until 5 mins ago but yesterday my better half mentioned that a "plod" colleague of hers who knows a man etc etc told her that Tilly would go to Brighton if offered the job.

This is like the aunts/mothers/brothers hairdresser type link we all hate, so sorry, but his information is that Tilly
- is totally hacked off (some BW interviews would bear that out),
- has no pressing family reasons to stay locally (I know he split up with his wife quite some time ago, but wouldn't know his current situation)
- doesn't get on with Ron & hasn't for some time (well even some of Ron's pieces with the Foran blame game have more than hinted at that & another source told me ages ago that Ron simply doesn't trust Tilly in the transfer market after Foran/Paynter/Harrold et al).

So personally I can see this happening. However it's the club's prerogative to deny an approach which they've done in the past. Surely though there comes a time when that becomes unfair to even as loyal servant as Tilly if he's set on leaving & is that unhappy?

But he does have a long-term partner of 5 or 6 years who he lives with, and two young sons to stick around for.

He's Southend through and through and has lived in this area for all of his life. I can't see him going anywhere.

I doubt this, especially now it doesn't look like we're going into admin. If Tilly ever leaves it'll be to a bigger club than Brighton. Why would he join a club lower than us (although at least they have their new stadium sorted) ? They could just poach Brush on his own.

I remember the first time I ever met Tilly was in 1994/1995(?) in the old Southend club shop in Vic Circus. Even then he was the nice guy, to be fair the club wheeled out Roycie and him for a signing and I think me and 4 other people turned up for the meet and greet. He stood and chatted with me for about 5 minutes and actually was listening, not just paying lip service, that's why I was shattered the way he was cast aside in 1997.

I think the guy actually still gets a lump in his throat when he hears the fans chant his name and I think to some extent at SUFC he's living the dream. In his head I guess he's got a project on the go and wants to see it through, he's managed to get a small team working well as a close nit bunch of lads and it's his down to earth approach that not many other managers will be able to give us.

We lose that man and end up with another Wignall/Little/Martin we're screwed. He's got problems with his boss? Who doesn't? I've been in jobs where I couldn't be bothered talking to my boss and only spoke once a week and that was because I had to.

anyone seen the new link on the os?
What, club in "puts article on OS when questions raised on SZ" shocker! :angel:

I still think that his lack of relationship with RM could be a key factor.

Not that the bookies are always right but Tilly is 5/2 fav for the Brighton job.

Not that the bookies are always right but Tilly is 5/2 fav for the Brighton job.

Thats pretty interesting too as he hasnt been mentioned in the press has he? Thought it was just rumours on SZ and the Brighton fans site.

Could be no coincidence then with the timing of the "I love managing Southend" statement released earlier?! Hmmmm....

Thats pretty interesting too as he hasnt been mentioned in the press has he? Thought it was just rumours on SZ and the Brighton fans site.

Could be no coincidence then with the timing of the "I love managing Southend" statement released earlier?! Hmmmm....

Probably just picking up rumours off the Brighton fans site! Heck maybe they are even monitoring this thread!

I think a few fingers were burnt when Coppell ruled himself out.

Back