• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tilly and Brush to Brighton

His job is to report the news. This was a rumour. There is a huge difference. If he had any evidence then fair enough but to me it doesn't look like he did. The Paul Clark quotes were stolen from The Argus and were an opinion piece and certainly didn't confirm the rumour at all. The last thing we all needed after the last week was a harmful, depressing rumour and for The Echo to run this story is the single worst piece of journalism that I can recall.

What other news is there to report?

Should he have left the page blank?

What other news is there to report?

Should he have left the page blank?

As Beefy says, he shouldnt have to fabricate stories to fill the gaps!

If theres a story there then fine, but it seems Brighton were never interested so theres no substance other than rumours from message boards which doesnt constitute reliable sources!

If the echo use this forum for reliable sources theres a worry. Isnt Ray Parlour signing tomorrow ?

If theres a story there then fine, but it seems Brighton were never interested so theres no substance other than rumours from message boards which doesnt constitute reliable sources!

If the echo use this forum for reliable sources theres a worry. Isnt Ray Parlour signing tomorrow ?

Exactly. An entirely predictable and tbh totally crap rumour made the back page of our local paper, shocking really.

What story should he have run in its place?

Except he didn't fabricate, the Brighton Argus ran a story about Tilson being one of the managers Brighton were targeting. There's a link on page 9 of this thread if you missed it.

Did I miss something or wasn't it reported in yesterday's (and today's) Brighton Argus that Tilson was on their shortlist?

Let's play a game , it's called "Now Ron has paid the bill and is no longer public enemy number 1 , let's find someone else to hate"

Let's play a game , it's called "Now Ron has paid the bill and is no longer public enemy number 1 , let's find someone else to hate"

Yep. Unlucky Walker, normal service will be resumed this weekend and next Friday for him no doubt. Chris Phillips fills the gap nicely until then...

Did I miss something or wasn't it reported in yesterday's (and today's) Brighton Argus that Tilson was on their shortlist?

Exactly, so our local paper picks up on a story run in the Brighton press the day before with quotes from a "reputable" source - don't think anyone would dispute Paul Clark is that - and the reporter is public enemy number 1 again (a short head ahead of Dougie Freedman and a neck ahead of Ron Martin).

Excuse me, but isn't that how the nationals pick up stories sometimes too? Give over with the sanctimonious stuff please, it's getting very boring. The Echo is a local newspaper providing local news of many types.

Oh and he doesn't post on here and stays away from it pretty much too, people do have feelings you know - as I reckon we're finding out from RM.

Exactly, so our local paper picks up on a story run in the Brighton press the day before with quotes from a "reputable" source - don't think anyone would dispute Paul Clark is that - and the reporter is public enemy number 1 again (a short head ahead of Dougie Freedman and a neck ahead of Ron Martin).

Excuse me, but isn't that how the nationals pick up stories sometimes too? Give over with the sanctimonious stuff please, it's getting very boring. The Echo is a local newspaper providing local news of many types.

I sometimes wish you'd try some of your advice!:stunned:

My position on this board is frequently defending the victims, whoever they are, of whichever spite campaign seems to be going on. Nothing wrong with defending people, it's those who feel the constant need to attack and point the finger that need to examine themselves and their motives.

Ha ha!

OBL does have a point though. Judging by some of the comments on this thread you'd be forgiven for thinking that CP had tried to burn down Roots Hall or kidnap Frankie Banks. Calm down ladies....

My position on this board is frequently defending the victims, whoever they are, of whichever spite campaign seems to be going on. Nothing wrong with defending people, it's those who feel the constant need to attack and point the finger that need to examine themselves and their motives.

mother-teresa-with-her-people.jpg

A bit harsh on Mr Phillips I feel, I've been critical of some of his reporting before and even this annoys me a bit. I have no problem him reporting a rumour such as this, but he's written it as if it's fact and Tilly's already gone! I'm sure he has an editor breathing down his neck asking for a backpage headline, it's a shame Southend Rugby club getting a win isn't considered good enough.

Anyway let's just be ****ing glad it did turn out to be a rumour and not fact, and have a chuckle at brighton as they get relegated.

Last edited:

Oh and he doesn't post on here and stays away from it pretty much too, people do have feelings you know - as I reckon we're finding out from RM.

Eh? In what way is Paul Clark a "reputable" source on this subject?

Eh? In what way is Paul Clark a "reputable" source on this subject?

I'd have thought a former player and manager of ours with obvious connections to them as well, and someone who's thought reputable enough to be doing guest commentary sometimes on matches would be eminently appropriate to comment with some accuracy.

I'd have thought a former player and manager of ours with obvious connections to them as well, and someone who's thought reputable enough to be doing guest commentary sometimes on matches would be eminently appropriate to comment with some accuracy.

On the subject of defending certainly, but what insight can he give on whether Tilson is likely to leave or not?

What story should he have run in its place?

I dunno, one that had some substance possibly where they had some sort of factual basis ?

Or is it acceptable then that in the absence of real stories papers just make up stuff to fill the page?

Our newspaper industry wasnt built on that sort of behaviour!!! Oh hang on yes it was...

Except he didn't fabricate, the Brighton Argus ran a story about Tilson being one of the managers Brighton were targeting. There's a link on page 9 of this thread if you missed it.

So because one newspaper makes up a load of tosh thats ok.

Fair enough, lets have a story about a World War II bomber on the moon then, after all it was in the Sunday Sport so must be ok to report on.

Sorry but this story had no substance and to publish this tosh is just over sensationalising for the sake of it.

Back